Quick question

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    ThatTubaDude started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Quick question

I have a nearby scrap yard that is willing to sell me complete computer towers (some may be missing hard drives) they get $0.40 a pound so thats what they will sell it to me for. They get a couple of pallets a month and im hoping this my turn in to a nice truck extras fund. My question is, at $0.40 does this seem like a good deal?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Complete means all parts are inside, not some missing hard drives. Lots of things to consider....are you reselling working parts or scrapping it all? If scrapping how are your buyers prices and how close are they to you? You have to figure in your labor and shipping/gas costs to get parts to your buyer. What is this yard buying towers at? I would offer .30 since most are buying at .15 and you are saving them shipping and gas costs.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet that they are not paying .40 a lb for the towers, esp. if their willing to sell to you at the same price. They might be paying just above shred price in quantity. That .40 would work out to $8 to $12. ea.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd offer $5 a piece complete, $3 without the HDD. If you're paying for weight, you're basically buying a lot of shred as those cases will up the poundage. Go flat rate on this one.
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. Let history make its own judgments"

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by MattyNoNeck:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    This quick question is causing me a DeJa Vu Moment times 20.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

ThatTubaDude started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Quick question

Sorry i tried deleting the thread but can't figure out how

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    .40/lb is to much.......I have been paying anywhere from .18 to .23/lb after inspecting the material depending on how stripped they are.........Walked away from about 10 pallets at .25/lb (now looking back perhaps should have gotten them)..........I offered .22 and the logistics were kinda of an issue they were 2 hours away

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    offer some of the $5/$3 prices above BUT butter them up a bit...check their prices on shred (for the cases) and maybe wire or power supplies....make the deal win win for the FAIR price to you....you will buy at the $5/$3 rate you quoted...in return you will sell them the steel shred and/or power supplies/wire (all that assuming they have fair prices or at least close on those items)....that might make the price better for them to swallow....

Just a thought.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i would ask if they will let you strip them and pay a flat rate per pound for the parts you want....my yard lets me do this...i get what i want for .30 a pound...they are very happy with this agreement....i even have my own little steel workbench off to the side of the shred pile..they bring out hoppers for me and i seperate the copper and aluminum for them...

i try and be as helpful to the yard as i can when im there..if someone pulls up and throws out something with a cord on it i cut it and throw it in the hopper for the yard....it even saves them on labor because they normally have a guy monitoring the pile, when im there they usually put him in the crane...

they may not go for it, but you never know till you ask

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wadarbr549 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wadarbr549 View Post
    i would ask if they will let you strip them and pay a flat rate per pound for the parts you want....my yard lets me do this...i get what i want for .30 a pound...they are very happy with this agreement....i even have my own little steel workbench off to the side of the shred pile..they bring out hoppers for me and i seperate the copper and aluminum for them...

i try and be as helpful to the yard as i can when im there..if someone pulls up and throws out something with a cord on it i cut it and throw it in the hopper for the yard....it even saves them on labor because they normally have a guy monitoring the pile, when im there they usually put him in the crane...

they may not go for it, but you never know till you ask
    Just a note...that is ASKING for issues if the yard allows that....their insurance people would lay a DUCK. It also could be an issue if you got hurt on site when you sue or they have to make a claim...the insurance company might not pay for this. Also, if you make a claim on YOUR insurance, they might not pay as well since you are technically "working" at the yard and they will want their insurance to cover the accident...just some thoughts....just buy it and pick it up, take it to where you do your business and then figure out if you will take stuff back to them....just a warning for YOUR protection....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webuyselltradestuff View Post
    Just a note...that is ASKING for issues if the yard allows that....their insurance people would lay a DUCK. It also could be an issue if you got hurt on site when you sue or they have to make a claim...the insurance company might not pay for this. Also, if you make a claim on YOUR insurance, they might not pay as well since you are technically "working" at the yard and they will want their insurance to cover the accident...just some thoughts....just buy it and pick it up, take it to where you do your business and then figure out if you will take stuff back to them....just a warning for YOUR protection....
    i signed a disclaimer before this arrangement started....i have way more training than there insurance company requires for there workers,,,all they require is osha ten..i have osha 10, osha 30 , and the saftey training passport. i even took an hour long class so i am able to use there fork lifts if i need to......i couldnt afford to pay .30 cents for everything if i could not strip it there...

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. quick question
      By DropYoTop in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
    2. Quick question for biginner
      By MindfullyMetal in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 04-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Thread Information