Rollyrogers33 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Help with E-waste pricing dilemma...

I just finished read the thread by PickerBenny about escarp pricing.

http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...ap-prices.html

There is a recycling company about 45 minutes away from me that has everyone from the area going there. There prices are horrible and across the board there prices are near the same as that thread.

If this company sells small motherboards at 1.25/lb for instance and in the buyer/seller section Ewasted (for example) buys at 1.90/lb. I could buy at 1.30/lb to stay safe. Though a lot of computer repair places in area said that my prices would have to be better than .10 or .15 cents for them to switch. I offer free pickup and the other place does not. How do I price myself better without killing my margin.

Do I offer better pricing to companies and keep prices just .05 to .10 cents above with general public? What do I do???

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage." Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If I was in that situation and knowing prices, I'd do what it takes to get the product and drive a truckload up to them. Spread the expense over 500 - 1000 lb. I've driven from Ind. 5 hr. and it was worth my time.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

3. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    You don't have to compete just on price. Remember if you are picking up and taking stuff the other place does not. If you are willing to break items down to get the high grade material then you may be able to simplify their lives.

Next consider how long will it take to get enough product to justify the trip to sell. Prices do change and not always higher. Having a relative large stock on hand may put you at risk of loosing money holding on too long.

If its convenient to ship pallets then you can hold less and not risk loss due to changes in pricing. If you want to know my opinion read my tag line. Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

5. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    It's only 2 1/2 hr drive, I'd do a car load every chance I could. (I have from here)

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would buy it higher and bring a trailer load to the buyer im from MN and will be bringing a massive load to ewaisted at the end of the summer when I fill my shed up with escrap. If you have that much volume coming in from people its well worth the buying at higher pricing. Go as high as it takes to win bizness over than over time slowly cut prices back down closer to your competitor.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by F350scrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Go as high as it takes to win bizness over than over time slowly cut prices back down closer to your competitor.
    That right there is why I no longer do business with a Ft Wayne buyer.

11. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Or like Mike said, (Mike D, not our Mech..to many mikes!) point out to the IT guys, your picking the stuff up at your expense. Ask them what they pay in gas to drop it off. Sounds like their trying to pull a yard on you..trying to see how high you'll go.

If it were me, I'd put up ads on CL an everywhere else in the area, an offer to buy at your price, with free pick up. You may not get the IT guys trying to hold out, but you'll get everyone else who doesn't want to waste gas driving. They'll make more going local with you then driving further out.

Then do as Mike/Mech suggested, an drive those loads to your buyer!

That's just me tho, an I admit..I march to a different tune.

Sirscrapalot - It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong. - Thomas Sowell

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I really appreciate the quick response from everyone. Thank you again!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rollyrogers33 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    A pocket full of money goes a long way as well. Show them you are serious. If you get them to be your customer be ready to pick up when you get the call. I would also not monkey around with pricing. If your buyer drops prices then of course you have to adjust. Be upfront about this with your customers. Let them know it works the same way at the scrap yard too. The benefit is that you are coming to them and it is saving them time and gas.
    Get to the owners not their employees, more likely than not the boss wants their people working for them not wasting time going to a scrap yard.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

17. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BRASSCATCHER:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ok. I sent out emails on pricing that is above the big competition on town to 4 different computer repair shops. It's been 3 days. No hits yet. No biggie. Just gotta wait it out. Though i just got my business cards and have been handing them out for a week and a half. My phone is non-stop ringing because of the cards. I just picked up 8 iMacs and LCD monitors, 300 lbs steel and a grill. Tomorrow I have an appointment to pick up another 15 towers. All of it is free!

I feel so dumb!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    customer service will trump price to most long term customers. I don't know your situation but becoming a middle tier buyer is a huge gamble. although having a top tier buyer just down the road is a big plus.

This is our 4th year and just last month one error in judgement. nearly put us out of business. we will make it but, we still haven't fully recovered.

When you become a buyer you now take on responsibility to others not just your self. What you do and the decisions you make effect them as well.
    Last edited by EcoSafe; 07-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to EcoSafe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyrogers33 View Post
    Ok. I sent out emails on pricing that is above the big competition on town to 4 different computer repair shops. It's been 3 days. No hits yet. No biggie. Just gotta wait it out. Though i just got my business cards and have been handing them out for a week and a half. My phone is non-stop ringing because of the cards. I just picked up 8 iMacs and LCD monitors, 300 lbs steel and a grill. Tomorrow I have an appointment to pick up another 15 towers. All of it is free!

I feel so dumb!!!
    Now put on a nice collared shirt and take your business cards and visit those repair shops you emailed. Put a face with a name and you be remembered. Even if you don't make a deal the first time, stop by every 10 days or so and update them on your pricing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

23. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Bronze pricing
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
    2. Any updates on pricing...?
      By technologyrecycling in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
    3. My dilemma (a great problem to have)
      By Koldes in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper