Scrap Cars!

| Off Topic Discussions
    Focker started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Scrap Cars!

Man i have been figuring on what i could get out of these cars.So i get 275 per ton and that is .1375 per pound so basically .14 cent per pound that dont seem like crap lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    But you pick up a car that's 1500 pounds, that's a 210 dollar paycheck. I'd pry spend a couple days on my back porch working for that much, and that doesn't include gathering.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It is the same as anything else you scrap, you have to process it to get the most money. Take all the non-ferrous off that you can get to, and the battery, and the Cat. If it is sitting on just rims, those can be taken off and brought in later as #1. (though if they still have tires on them, you have to figure out what to do with the tire.)

Then stuff the car with the shells of microwaves and other little iron bits that you've not hauled in yet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah i mean i know how to make money doing it.but just saying .14 cents per pound is kinda of funny.I went to auction today and this guy bid $475 and would stop because of the auction fees.So next week i am going to cut him down and he wont get nothing for $475.If it is $400 i am just going to say $475 and he wont buy nothing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The yard I deal with is only giving 180 a ton for cars. There has to be someone paying more around here, as that there are several people offering $180 for junk cars. I'm not really set up to easily load or haul cars on my trailer, so I've not been seeking any.

I've just about finished rebuilding a 8000 pound Ramsey winch, and once I build a mount on my trailer for it I might try a hauling a few cars. EVERYONE is scrapping around here right now though.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My yard doesn't even take cars. They have to be broken down first.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Which yard do you use scrap man?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    our yard here in springfield,ohio is giving 220.00 a ton on cars and they will come and get them locally free,additionally you dont have to remove anything from them...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    The yard I deal with is only giving 180 a ton for cars. There has to be someone paying more around here, as that there are several people offering $180 for junk cars. I'm not really set up to easily load or haul cars on my trailer, so I've not been seeking any.

I've just about finished rebuilding a 8000 pound Ramsey winch, and once I build a mount on my trailer for it I might try a hauling a few cars. EVERYONE is scrapping around here right now though.

yeah they are just paying for what they get that first ton and are still making good money believe me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Would you give $475 a can plus 100 in fees so say $580 for a car and still make anywhere from $25-$125 per car?Your thoughts please.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Focker, what auction do you go to, wheres it at? And I don't think i'd make any money on them at $400+, but I don't strip any more than aluminum wheels, nice tires, batterys and cat. converters. I buy a lot for $2-300 each. There's a few guys in paper advertising they pay $350 a car. Don't know if thats a bait and switch gimmick or if they really do pay 350 a car for any car, cuz i've had some i'd have sold them for 350 as they didn't bring that much at the yard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    its a auction here in louisville.Thats all i strip 2 but you have to figure out what everything is worth and that will tell you want you will make per car.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Question for guys who scrap alot of cars!!
      By gamedayron in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM
    2. Indiana - Scrap cars and metal
      By scrapyardsam in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Thread Information