Automotive Plastic Bumpers

| Non Metal Recycling
    LordViper743 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Automotive Plastic Bumpers

Ok so my first job is in a collision shop they let me take all the scrap so god I love this place. we work on about 50 cars a week so you can imagine the amount I get.
    Anyway I want to know if there is anywhere that would take the Plastic bumpers made of poly prop aline. we get a lot of these and would love to recycle them. The money would be a bonus too. Also I have headlamps with a tab broken or a scrape is there anyone that would pay for recycling these? thanks for your Help Rob

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts
    Well being in Jersey I sure you can find a company that recycles bumpers the problem is there are many different grades of the plastic some are more in demand than others, the other problem is they want them baled,as for the head lamp components look up a core buyer in your area they usually buy many of the power window, head light, and other motor assembly's that collision shops get good luck hope I helped a little.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I heard, dont know how true it is or not, that there may be a market for the bumpers on certain vehicles as cores.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If the bumpers aren't in a thousand pieces there are a lot of companies that can remanufacture and repair them, same goes for the headlights. The largest company that is nationwide and remans bumpers is Keystone (division of LKQ). For headlights the most common is probably RPW. I don't know if they will buy from individuals though. Normally they are set up with the shops and do weekly pickups then send the shop a check for what they can use. Most areas have local companies too that may be easier as an individual to sell to. Unfortunately I don't know about the Jersey area, If you were around dallas we have Quality Bumper, Dallas Bumper, Best Bumper and a lot more. I would probably just google "remanufactured bumpers" for your area and it should bring some up.

Also on the headlights you may be better selling on ebay if you're setup on there. Broken tabs are very easy to repair and some people just need a light and don't care about a deep gouge in the lens. I've replaced a $2000 headlamp once just because of a deep scratch in the lens that couldn't be buffed out. Oh, and that $2000 light didn't even include any of the bulbs or electronic components for the HID. You could easily turn something around like that on ebay for a few hundred minimum. (That was on an Audi A5).

Companies love these repairable headlights and bumpers since they're the go to part for most insurance companies (very few companies out there will use oem only). For example a rear bumper oem might go for $450, but on a common car you could find that same bumper remanufactured for $250. Some companies just stockpile these bumpers and when the shop orders one will then repair it and send it to the shop within a few days.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    There are companies that buy wrecked bumpers. I'm surprised your boss couldn't steer you in the right direction.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    someone in our area created their own plastic grinding machine for such kind of plastic, how much dyou buy these?
    +639451433286 - +639333242866 - Jun Maata / +639176260588 - +639228746033 Malou Francisco

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Automotive Oxygen Sensors
      By rooka21 in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 03-16-2014, 11:44 PM
    2. hoods, fenders, bumpers from old cars
      By copycat in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM
    3. automotive electronics
      By wescrapmetal in forum Low-Grade Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 17