Beware the Heartbleed bug/virus

| Off Topic Discussions
    Sirscrapalot started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts

Beware the Heartbleed bug/virus

Doing reading, stumbled on this about "heartbleed bug" an hadn't seen it mentioned. Surprised me being as we have a bunch of you techno rats out there who scrap.

So...caution up people, an make sure your stuff is together. Read up an know what your facing.

'Heartbleed' Computer Bug Threat Spreads To Firewalls And Beyond

Sirscrapalot - Hackers suck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We need to be taught early on about the ways of protecting ourselves. No not the download an antivirus crap, but the ability to code our own protection. If we can all protect ourselves using our own codes then one virus may not infect every computer. As for now no one is safe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maiwand for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yea, it seems pretty nasty. Seems it's been lurking for 2 years or so, makes you wonder who got hit that all of a sudden it's a big player. Google an other big companies all felt the sting an patch up I believe.

On the bright side of things...Blizzard, the makers of WoW, Diablo 3 an other fun games, weren't infected, so I can still game..woo hoo!

Sirscrapalot - If you give a hacker a new toy, the first thing he'll do is take it apart to figure out how it works. - Jamie Zawinski

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ah... Wow yeah I remember being hacked and this was over 8 hrs. Basically I always logged in, but one day I logged out early and went to sleep. Next morning I was naked and was muted haha. Thankfully I stopped it, the ******* was about to put an authenticator on my account lol. On the bright side it helped me kick the habit of playing wow . So thank you mr hacker (I want to say asian, but then again we have our own too).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I only got hacked once with WoW, got everything fully restored, an the gm's let me keep all the crap the hacker had farmed. lol...made a ton of gold off it. Ha ha.

Nowadays...I got an authenticator.

Since you game...here's something funny. I've been banned from Star Wars Online, and several others. Funny part? I've never played any of them, not even to check out. lol. So hackers keep sending me those phishing emails for games I don't even play. It gives me a chuckle everytime I get an email telling my account will be banned at such n' such game.

Sirscrapalot - Not a fan of hackers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Like so many things out there...They say your not safe unless you have such and such. Well they have been saying for years your safe if the SSL is present...Now it's all lies.

Check's in the mail, I gave at the office, I only had 2 beers, I wont _____ in your mouth.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ugh, what a ginormous PITA. I've just spent 5 hours fixing accounts because of this stupid thing. For accounts such as google where you can use 2-step authentication, if you haven't set it up yet, I'd definitely recommend doing so. It's very easy. You can use it to establish trusted devices (such as your own computer and smartphone); if anyone tries to log in using your credentials from a non-trusted device, they have to input a separate code or they won't get in. That includes you, of course, but you'll get a text or a phone call giving you the code. You can also get a list of codes that you can print out or save on your device, which you can use whenever you can't receive a code by text/voice.

Here's a list showing vulnerability status of many of the most heavily trafficked websites, including several banks. You should take a look at it, and if you have accounts at any vulnerable or previously vulnerable sites, it would be a good idea to change your password, especially if you didn't have 2-step authentication set up on them.
    Heartbleed bug: Check which sites have been patched - CNET

BTW, this mess is due to a bug in the OpenSSL implementation, not SSL per se.

OK, I've got to go take some Advil. It turns out that Heartbleed also causes headaches!

12. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by FLimits:

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. saw something at the yard yesterday made my eyes bug out of my head!!
      By newattitude in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-28-2013, 12:02 AM
    2. Buying scrap - Beware!
      By RobGreen in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM
    3. Beware of link to "scrapiesjunkies.webnode"
      By Mick in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Thread Information