Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Email local companies

| Scrap Metal Spots
    injunjoe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts

Lightbulb Email local companies

I have been thinking about Emailing all the local AC/Heat companies around my area.

It seems they all have someone buying there takeouts, but I think I can pay a little more then others for the units. I say this because I strip them down beyond what I see others turning in. They sell the motors as motors and compressors for dirt cheap instead of cleaning them of there wonderful copper. I take anything with a coil and clean it. This includes even the small relays on the circuit boards get cleaned of there copper.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to injunjoe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    How do you clean the copper? Wire brush? Soap and water? Have you found any ways that work better/quicker than others?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    How do you clean the copper? Wire brush? Soap and water? Have you found any ways that work better/quicker than others?
    I'm sorry by clean I mean to remove the copper from the parts.
    Like a relay, I will take my end nippers and cut the plastic case off the relay. Then I take another bite with the end nippers and cut the relay in half. Then I just pull the copper off each end of the core/shaft.

For motors I cut the steel motor housing of the core if need be. I say if need because some cores pull right out like in the motors used in garage door openers, yet condenser motors the core is stuck in the housing and needs to be cut. After the core is out I put in large vise and cut off one end flush with the core.
    I then turn the core over and use my end nippers to pry out the copper.

The motor windings are coated with a varnish to insulate them. The copper is #2 but sure does add up fast!

My point was that the other guys around here don't seem to take the extra time, and get full value from each air conditioning unit .
    They just pull the motor and sell it for motor weight. The guys at the scrap yard love that, they just have there help do what I do and make a nice buck!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    iIm going to put small signs near job sites and the AC and plumbing companies offices.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts View Post
    iIm going to put small signs near job sites and the AC and plumbing companies offices.
    I would love to put signs out like that.
    Here they (county workers) drive around and pickup all posted signs. If they collect enough of one person they will fine you!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by injunjoe View Post
    I would love to put signs out like that.
    Here they (county workers) drive around and pickup all posted signs. If they collect enough of one person they will fine you!
    Yeah- I've heard parts of FL are really bad about the signs.
    How bad are they? Could you put out small ones and then pick them up after a day or two?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah- I've heard parts of FL are really bad about the signs.
    How bad are they? Could you put out small ones and then pick them up after a day or two?
    The signs would not last even a few hours. The only place out waste goes here is an incinerator/dump. It is county run, so a sign is not only a code violation, they would see it as competition. When a work truck drops off metal there they charge them. Yes I said charge to drop off metal! They are raking in the bucks!
    It has gotten so bad they charge to dump most everything now. Again double jeopardy, my property tax lists a nice size fee for the incinerator, yet they charge again when you get there!

So for signs, people pay the bums to hold them! It is quite the sight driving down the road now!
    On one side of the road is the pawn shop bum holding the "WE Buy Gold" sign. In the median is the bum holding the "need work" sign.
    Funny the pawn shop is ripping you off and the bum really just wants a beer not work!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Gotta be creative!!

What type of deal are you going to offer the companies??
    Pay them or just pick it up for free?

I'm hoping to target the workers that will take some easy cash instead of loading and driving a trailer full of scrap.

I'm really curious to see what the responses are from the companies.

I approached a place here that does tires for large equipment and 18 wheelers- the guy at the counter says the the manager probably sells off the dented, unusable rims I wanted to pick up- I wonder if corporate knows they do that??

( those rims weigh between 60 and 200ish pounds EACH! $$$)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My local yards deliver dumpsters to factories and such that deal with metal, so I can't do that.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Gotta be creative!!

What type of deal are you going to offer the companies??
    Pay them or just pick it up for free?

I'm hoping to target the workers that will take some easy cash instead of loading and driving a trailer full of scrap.

I'm really curious to see what the responses are from the companies.

I approached a place here that does tires for large equipment and 18 wheelers- the guy at the counter says the the manager probably sells off the dented, unusable rims I wanted to pick up- I wonder if corporate knows they do that??

( those rims weigh between 60 and 200ish pounds EACH! $$$)
    All the companies have someone buying there scrap now, so I will have to offer a good price.
    I get more out of the units then what I see others turning in. I break it down completely to maximize my return.
    I have yet to have to buy scrap, but I have run out of free scrap for now. Soon it will warm up and HVAC work will pick back up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We represent as consultant group of Mining Companies and artisan miners in West African sub region Guinea, Serria Leone, Liberia and Mali that are mining Gold and Diamond in different villages.

These are miners that dont have access to foreign buyers

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We represent as consultant group of Mining Companies and artisan miners in West African sub region Guinea, Serria Leone, Liberia and Mali that are mining Gold and Diamond in different villages.

These are miners that dont have access to foreign buyers.

Please if you are interested contact us through our

www.sierraguimetal.webs.com

www.sierraguimetalsarl.webs.com

Tel:+224 68723160

Tel:+224 24122700

E-mail: sierraguimetalarl@yahoo.com

3eme Etage Immeuble Savane

Rue DI 519

Conakry Republique de

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lovekey I think I will stick to local companies for my "scrap air conditioning units".

Should I ever start buying Gold and Diamonds I will look you up. At this point I can hardly afford to pay attention!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to injunjoe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i second that injunjoe...lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to junkdude1959 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    Lovekey I am interested in buying Send your Gold & Diamonds and I will Remit Payment in the Form of a Cashiers Check that I will make 35% Over of your asking Price.
    i just loled :bump:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lovekey View Post

These are miners that dont have access to foreign buyers.

Please if you are interested contact us through our

www.sierraguimetal.webs.com

www.sierraguimetalsarl.webs.com

Tel:+224 68723160

Tel:+224 24122700

E-mail: sierraguimetalarl@yahoo.com

3eme Etage Immeuble Savane

Rue DI 519

Conakry Republique de
    Oh Yeah- I'm in a hurry to do business with an international company that can't afford $50 for a real website.

GTFO.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    WHAT!!! This isn't real?!?! SH*T I sent them my bank account number yesterday.

SMF Badges of Honor

getting warmer and staying busy stripping heavy wire
    Thanks
    Man, I think back twenty five years or so, and I think about this metal fabrication shop I used to work at as a TIG/MIG welder. The turret punches they had would fill up a 4' x 4' heavy duty cardboard box with 1/4" aluminum of differing alloys with just the slugs from the punch within 2 weeks it would be full and weigh over 500 pounds in bare, 1/4" aluminum. They also had a 40 yard dumpster for the steel scraps and it just blows my mind now I think about the scrap that place used to put out a month. They would have to switch out the full dumpster for a empty one within a month. Not only steel and aluminum we did but also brass, copper fixtures which were punched out of 4'x8' sheets of copper. Now that I am scrapping for 10 years now, I thought I would make you guys ( and myself) drool at the scrap that place put out.
    So, check out your local fabrication shops, metal working places, welding shops, anything that has to do with fabricating metal, and you may just get lucky.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by injunjoe View Post
    I have been thinking about Emailing all the local AC/Heat companies around my area.

It seems they all have someone buying there takeouts, but I think I can pay a little more then others for the units. I say this because I strip them down beyond what I see others turning in. They sell the motors as motors and compressors for dirt cheap instead of cleaning them of there wonderful copper. I take anything with a coil and clean it. This includes even the small relays on the circuit boards get cleaned of there copper.
    I agree with what you are saying, as I too see a lot of money going to waste at the yards. I saw a load just last week that came from a School system and they had left all the wires, compressors and some copper still attached to them. Oh yeah, not to mention the fans. I gave the driver my card and told them I would pay them the same as they were getting from the yard [$12 per 100] because I know I could make some money on what they had left in those things.
    BTW, I think a personal visit would get you better response than an E-Mail, just my opinion.
    Good Luck!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We like to use a letter that we mail to various companies around the state....We simply outline what we do and how to contact us, yada yada...They work really well...Many times the people we send them too will copy them and pass them on to other places. Word of mouth can be one of the most powerful tools we have.

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Email Marketing
      By GeorgeB in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
    2. Companies near Massachusetts that buys ewaste
      By MvPElectronicRecycling in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-10-2012, 12:41 AM
    3. Small trucking companies
      By NEATNAMEHUH in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-17-2012, 12:12 AM
    4. Fire Damage Companies
      By Beachbum in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-08-2012, 05:23 AM
    5. Merry Christmas Scrappers and Metal Recycling Companies!
      By admin in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 12-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information