Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free TV's

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Bigblue12v started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Free TV's

Man free TV's are all over the place, local landfill has a 3 sided building where people can drop off re-usable items, usually furniture and ancient TV's and stuff there... On way to pickup a car last week I stopped by there and grabbed 3 TV's to scrap. Wish it wasn't clear across town and then another 10 minutes away, i'd be over there everyday. Also see free TV's on craigslist all the time, ya gotta check the free section frequently.

I stripped those 3 tv's today, gave me somethin to do for a few minutes. They are pretty easy to strip (if you never done one, watch the youtube vids posted)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigblue12v for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I see alot on craigslist in my area as well as CRT monitors. Been staying away from them because they charge to dispose. I have 2 tv's that we had to replace, I haven't stripped them out yet. Big 32 inch sitting out by shed and then a 25 inch in basement. Just don't want to pay to dump.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've gotten good enough to unscrew the case, pull out what I want and then put the case back together. The copper unscrew easily- no need to break the glass.

The husks will usually disappear if left on the curbside....
    Must be the recycling fairies.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I hate the feeling that you get when you open up a TV that's been gutted.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    all i have to say is.. tvs and crt monitors add up. i have picked up about 5 tvs since i started last week and my copper pile is growing!
    there is tons of competition around here, so i usually do what rusty nuts does.. ill put it back together and ill drop it by a dumpster somewhere in the area. nine times out ten i see it the next day opened up. you have to be smarter scrap man.. inspect it before you take it..
    if the cable is cut, thats a huge red flag..
    you can see through some of the side vents if there is something inside or not..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to azscrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What do you do with the tubes after you strip the goodies out?

Bigblue12v started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I haven't figured that out yet. I think local recycling center has certain days where they take certain oddball items like TV's and monitors. Maybe that can be a good disposal method for them...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azscrapper View Post
    all i have to say is.. tvs and crt monitors add up. i have picked up about 5 tvs since i started last week and my copper pile is growing!
    there is tons of competition around here, so i usually do what rusty nuts does.. ill put it back together and ill drop it by a dumpster somewhere in the area. nine times out ten i see it the next day opened up. you have to be smarter scrap man.. inspect it before you take it..
    if the cable is cut, thats a huge red flag..
    you can see through some of the side vents if there is something inside or not..
    I always open them up just to make absolutely sure. You never know until you check

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Best place to get rid of the tube is a "glass-to-glass" recycler, but usually you have to pay for that and there may not be one around. Here in NY, you can't trash them anymore, but once you remove the copper it's considered "Hazardous Waste". You also need to pay $250 to the state first if you want to be legal about it. NY's e-waste law here. (Can't wait to get out of this state!)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wow that really sucks for NY. I usually put at least 3 TV or computer monitors out with my trash most weeks. Trash guys here just throw em on the back of the truck with everything else. But I do know certain townships locally where you have to pay to have them taken.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Illinois is supposed to be one of them states that has the e-waste laws. So that is why I wondered.. Don't want to have to pay to get rid of stuff.. Hard to make a profit when you have to spend a dime to make a nickle.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wow that really sucks for NY. I usually put at least 3 TV or computer monitors out with my trash most weeks. Trash guys here just throw em on the back of the truck with everything else. But I do know certain townships locally where you have to pay to have them taken.
    I just wish i knew of a local place I could take them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    What if you were to smash 'em then trash 'em? Once the vacuum is taken care of put tube in trash can and smash to pieces.
    I would use extreme caution and some safety gear, but the result would just be a pile of glass to bag up.
    Just my thought on it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm only 5 minutes from the PA border. I wonder if I could just "forget" them there? lol Let me look up the laws for PA, and I'll post here when done.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well, I can't find anything saying it's illegal to throw out TV tubes in PA. Now I just need to find a a good dumpster I can put them in...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    Well, I can't find anything saying it's illegal to throw out TV tubes in PA. Now I just need to find a a good dumpster I can put them in...
    Careful dumping in dumpsters, around here it is a $250.00 fine and a misdemeanor.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well I don't want to break the law. But I don't want to have to pay to throw them out after stripping them. Any ideas?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    ... Here in NY, you can't trash them anymore, but once you remove the copper it's considered "Hazardous Waste". You also need to pay $250 to the state first if you want to be legal about it. NY's e-waste law here. (Can't wait to get out of this state!)
    I predict much failure for that law.
    Edited to add:

PA just passed an 'E-Waste ' law.. and unbeknown to me- TX passed one back in 2007!

But a quick review show them all to be shams in some way shape or form.

Unless there is a big bin at best Buy for them to take back all their garbage, the laws will never work as intended- and in all likelihood, will have the opposite effect.

A lot - if not most- of the Ewaste is shipped overseas and processed in backalleys by people with burn pits and hammers.
    Last edited by Rusty Nuts; 02-04-2011 at 08:32 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If that's a law in Texas, the garbage guys don't abide. After I get what I want from TV's I put them back together and set it out by the curb. Garbage men always take them.

Also there's a ring around the glass, that's wrapped in tape.. It's aluminum, in case I'm not the only one keeping aluminum scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Jersey has a facility that takes all e waste, anything and everything i have about 10 tvs and 5 crt monitors... majority are stripped i'm going to take them to the facility and see what the process is and what goes on, they had the place on my local tv station, and boy were they making some serious cash they cut the tv tubes and remove the lead , so im thinking im going to srtip the copper put the tv's back together like i always do and give it a shot, before this law i would do the same but leave them by a dumspter or a clothing drop on the side,,, next day i would drive by and boom gone lol so this e-waste place might be the answer for the "unwanted" items...

23. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. So many TV's...so many TV's....need a bit of inspiration i reckon?
      By TheHoss in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 02-15-2013, 07:00 PM
    2. Tv's
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 08-01-2012, 05:51 AM
    3. tv's and monitors
      By lastchance in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM
    4. Tv's