bigburtchino started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts

Found a "basket case" that could be a diamond in the rough

Not sure how to go about this one. Found old Gibson guitar amplifier, a GA-20 from the 50's. I put this in vintage electronics is ok? Everything is here but it is damaged by a fire. I think it can be restored and have contacted some local amplifier experts but have no feedback yet. So I thought I would ask everyone here if they know anything about old music amplifiers. These were made from 1950 to 1962 (GA-20), from dating the tubes and pots my GA-20 was made 1953 or 1954 I think. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. A fully restored GA-20 is worth more than $1,000.00 don't know if I want to go that route or sell and let someone else restore. The only instrument I play is the stereo! Anybody have info. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I would call an contact local music shops that sell Guitars. They could let you know if it can be restored, an if so likely buy it from you. Heck I'd contact a lot of music shops, or try a vintage music forum. It's an oldie, an we all know how popular old Gibson guitar's are. How damaged by fire is it?

A true piece of Americana there. Nice find!

Now find the matching Guitar Burt!

Sirscrapalot - Master of the air guitar.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Do you have pictures? It would help to see how much damage there is.

The electronics on these old amps aren't complicated. You can get schematics here: Gibson Amp Heaven Schematics - Maestro Skylark Les Paul Junior Lancer Gibsonette Titan Scout Falcon Reissue

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by FLimits:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I do plan on taking Amp. to a professional vintage amplifier restorer. There are some well respected and guys that have been in the music business for years locating here in southern Cal. These Amps. predate Rock music and some big name musicians started with a GA-20. This amp is in bad shape, caught on fire burning a small portion of cabinet and scorching the front of amp. It will need to be fully restored, needs original tolex material that covered cabinet replaced. Will need new tweed speaker grill and original speaker re-coned or speaker replaced. That doesn't even count the work needed on the control chassis. What I like about it and what got my attention was the fact it's all original - Grey Tiger caps, IRC control pots, cloth bound wiring, Dak-ware "Chicken Head" knobs, and RCA 6V6 matched output tubes. They don't make things like this no more! I first started learning electronics in 1979 and remember a college teacher showing us a vacuum tube. He held up that tube and said now "forget it" as he held up a transistor and IC chip saying this is modern electronics "what you need to know". Now I'm teaching my self about old electronics, funny how things go full circle sometimes. I'll try do pictures tonight, I'm at work now and it will be later tonight before I get home.
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 03-18-2014 at 04:42 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What was real neat about this find was the other old electronics that came in same score. The amp was the oldest but there was several old "Ghetto Blasters" from the late 70's and early 80's, couple old transistor radio's, one of those only had AM band. Obviously before FM became the new radio experience. The other item that brought me back to my youth, a Panasonic SA-5500 receiver/amp. Works perfect, this was made in 1972 before Panasonic replaced there high end products with the Technics name. I like it because it has the all wood cabinet and brushed aluminum face plate and neon green illuminated dial. Another one of those they don't make anymore and I had no problem with it replacing my modern plastic receiver out in my shop. What did I pay for these vintage tunes? ZEROE! My new favorite number and for those who wonder about dumpsters, just get to know a good dumpster from a nothing dumpster.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    After I read your post, I googled around a little bit and saw pictures of these old amps. They really were beautiful. They almost look like fine luggage. I also learned that the old tube amps have a real fan base -- and are very valuable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FLimits for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Flimits yes it's a rare find if I can get it restored and I think it should be done. The 1950 - 1953 GA-20 was the ones covered with leather luggage material. The one I found seems to be a 1954 as it has Tolex material covering cabinet. Cabinet dimensions are more like those of the 1953. The pots and caps are made in 1953, so it's a bit of a puzzle still. I'm thinking maybe a "transitional" model where they used up components and old stock. As Gibson released a "modern" GA-20 in 1954 the Tolex Tweed. I'm certainly no expert on these and need to get advice from some experts. I do believe it's one worth preserving and there's some real music history in these old amps.
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 03-18-2014 at 06:14 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Man being in So.cal you should easily find someone, buyer or restorer. If costs to much check into selling it as is. Some collector might be willing pay an then pay to have it restored.

This is why I love what we do. Majority of stuff gets sold off, scrapped whatever..but now an then you find gems like this you end up saving from such a fate.

A true piece of music history. We're talking what..Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Buddy Holly, etc.

Hail! Hail! Rock

I remember hearing Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Big Bill Broonzy, Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley and not really knowing anything about the geography or the culture of the music. But for some reason it did something to me - it resonated. - Eric Clapton

If you can't tell I dig some Old School rock.

Sirscrapalot - If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'. - John Lennon

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 03-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    PhotoBucket is my enemy too.

This shows you to to embed a PhotoBucket image in your post:

Last edited by FLimits; 03-20-2014 at 08:44 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to FLimits for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm still a FRESHMAN in H.S. for sure. Don't know if you can see anything everyone, my rookie moves!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ouch, poor amp. I'm amazed you were able to recognize what it was.

You also have some very interesting boards and chips in your PhotoBucket! Do you have a thread about those somewhere?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FLimits for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks Flimits for that tutorial seems simple enough for simple minds. I'm so frustrated now I'm going to go use my hammer and do some HAMMER TIME SCAPING!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a room filled with them! If I could just learn to take pictures and post them. LOL I do have a lot of old IC ceramic chips They tell me there's GOLD in them. Where can I find MORE? I'm still a freshman. As for the old amp, it did have a rough life, I think it got a little hot. On a serious note, it looks worse than it actually is, mostly cosmetics - the cabinet will need to be repaired and recovered, that is pretty much routine from what Iv'e learned. The real work is in the panel. I could parts it out and make a couple hundred easy. I would like to do a total restoration, that will cost $300 to $400. Hopefully the other items I found with it will help pay for that. A good restore of a GA-20 brings in easy $1k it all depends on the amp tech who does it. They bring crazy prices if the right name tech does it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburtchino View Post
    Thanks Flimits for that tutorial seems simple enough for simple minds. I'm so frustrated now I'm going to go use my hammer and do some HAMMER TIME SCAPING!
    Did you say HAMMER TIME???

26. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by FLimits:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I did some work on his airplane until he went bankrupt!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Check out Kendrick amps Pfleugerville ,TX Gerald weber is the owner and usually answers the phone . He actually starts the boutique amp movement in the early 90's by building new "old "'design amps with some tweaks . I have some of his custom builds and am a tube amp guy . Call him send him the chassis or pix and he can give ya an idea you prolly can fix the Tolex or have a local upholsterer fix it . Gerald will be able to tell you if you can fix it and make a buck his work is awsome. Beware the vintage amp market has been soft lately and most guys want origional even if it looks like it was drug down the road by a truck. Good luck pm me if ya need any help Ive been playing for years .

30. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM
    2. Replies: 15
      Last Post: 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM
    3. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
    4. new 20" diamond saw blades
      By jghilino in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM
    5. Replies: 3