Well I have some more questions lol (:

| Misc. Metal Recycling
    luke started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Well I have some more questions lol (:

So, I have been looking around for some scrap metal to add to my pile because in the next week or so I am going to take it to the scrap yard. I have found a old fridge, ALOT of car and truck rims, some couch frames, etc. etc. My question is will the scrap yard take old rusty and burnt stuff? Also as of right now I am borowing my dads friends trailer and it is only like a 4X8, so do you guys know whare I could find a pretty decent size trailer? "Other than CL" And what size would be a good size to start with? I have a 2500 Chevy Suburban with a 454 in it so im not worried about not being able to pull it but I dont want to get anything to big for what I need it for. I am only doing this part time to make some extra cash so its not like I am trying to start my own bussnies, just trying to make some extra cash. Sorry for the stupid questions lol I am just trying to learn. :P
    (:
    Thanks for the help and God Bless

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes the yard takes rusty/burnt/old stuff.. If your finding rims make sure to check if there aluminum, aluminum is worth way more than the #1 prepared price they would give you.. about the trailer its tough to say, when you think about it its always better to have extra room then not having enough, mayb like a nice 5x12 dump trailer, you can always add some taller wooden walls. anyway good luck

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you want to buy a nice new trailer, check your local hardware stores. But if you don't want to spend a lot on a new one, the classified ads in the paper or craigslist may be the only way to go
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

luke started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ok cool, thanks my main goal is to get a bigger trailer so I can haul more stuff at one time. I have been looking at the 16 foot utility trailer's and I think thats what I am gona try to get. I was thinking about making one because I came across some cool plans and a video on youtube. My dad is pretty good at welding and he can get metal from work for a really good price. I will still need to buy the wood for the deck, an axle, springs, and the small stuff, I already have a light kit, and I found a really good winch at Rualking for only like $60 and it is rated for 3000lbs. But idk how I will get a title for it? or If I would even need plates?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    I can't speak for you as I don't know your local laws, but here you can title and tag a trailer very easy.
    Any trailer can be registered as home built by having it weighed at registered scale house.
    Your local scrapyard maybe able to help you out there. Give them a call.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you aren't wanting to look for a trailer on craigslist, but that's where I find a TON of good deals.... Nothing wrong with building a trailer. Make sure its very heavy duty, one day you will want to haul a car or something on it, either as a favor, personal use, scrapping, or to make a little money towing it for someone else. Or you may come across some heavy loads now and then. Its almost impossible to build a trailer too heavy duty. And do yourself a favor and make sure at least one axle has brakes on it, some states this is a requirement.

Some really really good deals come on craigslist, but with that kind of trailer I've found you can often buy them new for hardly any more than used, used maybe $1000-1500 depending what you want, when new ones can be had for $1500-2000, and have new tires, new paint, new deck, new lights, new wiring etc. all things that will be worn/degraded/in need of repair or replacement on a used one. Think of every single item you can possibly need to build one and get it all priced out, make sure you cover all your bases. Its easy to have a lot of money into building one. I scored a 20' gooseneck on craigslist, steel deck, needed lights, wiring, wheel bearing, tires, dovetail and ramps, i've done all that and got a winch for it, and recycled a toolbox and batteries, I have a working usable trailer that hauls anything I need, equipped with everything I need to do it, for around $1300 total, and it holds so much more than a bumper pull and pulls so much better. I know gooseneck isn't an option for you with a Suburban, I'm just saying occasionally you can get a great deal on a fixer upper and come out quite ahead time and money wise over building one.

If you're gonna build one, you should consider making it 16' with a 2' dovetail on the end. Put the dovetail at about a 10* angle I think works best, that's what mine is and I rarely have issues with cars bottoming out. Then make your ramps 4-6' long, whatever you need to match the angle of the dovetail works best. My trailer is a mid deck, the dove is 4' long and the ramps are 4' long, works great. As I said someday you'll want to haul a car on it and at some point 16' won't be big enough. Also on wood for deck or stake sides, here we have a local lumberyard that sells rough cut hardwood for tons cheaper than Lowes or other home improvement stores, its not as smooth but its a lot heavier duty than the cheap pine crap, its always good oak or something, and again much much cheaper. Have used it for trailer decks and sides and saved a ton of money and lasts longer/holds up better to dropping heavy stuff on it.

Good luck!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    As a side note if you haven't already - sort those rims out as they should go as #1 iron. If aluminum, you'll need to pull the valve stems and any weights. If steel, they shouldn't care about the stems.

Are you cutting the copper lines off that refrigerator?
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Some states may also require a spare tire on the trailer. I think Illinois has a law about that. Check into where you are though for your state law on it. Guess law enforcement agencies got tired of seeing trailers on the side of the road due to blow outs.

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. name that CPU LOL
      By ozzy214 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 10-14-2012, 09:59 PM
    2. My backyard lol
      By countryboy54321 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
    3. what did i get myself into now???? lol
      By ilovejunk in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 38