Lurch started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Why I Shouldnt Be Allowed To Buy Vehicles For Scrap

I have a lot of problems when it comes to scrapping but my worst is scrapping cars. I buy cars, bring them home, get ready to scrap them, and end up keeping them. The terrible part is, i usually never make any money off them. Paid $600 for a 1979 Plymouth Volare Duster. Had a lot of good parts on it and drove just fine so i thought i could make a little off it. Ended up keeping it for 4 months, didnt do a **** thing to it, and sold it for $600. Bought a 1961 Ford Galaxie a few months ago, dragged the f***er home, and let it sit for about 5 months. Sold parts off it and then sold the rest of it yesterday for $300. Made $50 off it.

Please tell me im not the only one who does this

Last edited by Lurch; 01-26-2014 at 08:29 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Now if that had been a '61 Ford Sunliner....
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    Those car are in high demand down here in Florida. A lot of people restore cars like that and they don't make cars like them any more. They would have sold for well over 1000.00ea as is.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscraper View Post
    Those car are in high demand down here in Florida. A lot of people restore cars like that and they don't make cars like them any more. They would have sold for well over 1000.00ea as is.
    Maybe the Volare but that Galaxie was all sorts of f***ed up. It was a barn find. Been sitting since 86. Massive amounts of rot. The whole reason i didnt bother restoring it is because the frame was now in 2 separate pieces and it had no title among other problems. It was mostly complete though. Just missing glass and trim

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've bought plenty of vehicles and made $100 or less, it happens. It's disappointing, but it beats losing money. I've slowly gained a better sense of what to try and part out and what to send straight to the crusher, and to pay accordingly.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    a few times ive forgot to check the price of cars for a couple days and made an offer over the phone just off the top of my head. a 40 dollar drop pr ton and it turns out to be a terd.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sweet ! I would want to keep them to.

Originally Posted by olddude
    There is a big difference between scrappers and scavengers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Damotademon7 View Post
    Sweet ! I would want to keep them to.
    I wanted to but that Galaxie stopped me from getting to my garage. 4000+ pounds, 3 out of 4 wheels seized, and my truck having a heavy knock means i cant move it myself. Took 2 4x4 trucks to tow it home. That sound was god awful. You could follow the marks from the tires all the way back to the guys house. The Volare is still floating around here somewhere. The guy i sold it to dropped in a 360 in exchange for the 225 slant six it came with

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Not trying to sound "high and mighty" but guys you've got to commit. If you buy a vehicle- ALWAYS buy it at scrap price- if you fall in love with it- well that is on you- at least you got it for a good price. If you finally realize that it is the steaming heap that it is.. then you know you've made money regardless. This is similar to another topic on the forum presently, and as I said, not trying to put anyone down- but if you are in the business to make $ off vehicles- go into a buy with the mindset that "this is getting crushed" that way- if it pays out more from parts- great, if it pays out more because someone wants the whole thing- EXCELLENT, but if it is its time to die- it is its time to die.. and you can console yourself by rubbing the tears from your eyes with the hundred dollar bills!
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sledge for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge42 View Post
    Not trying to sound "high and mighty" but guys you've got to commit. If you buy a vehicle- ALWAYS buy it at scrap price- if you fall in love with it- well that is on you- at least you got it for a good price. If you finally realize that it is the steaming heap that it is.. then you know you've made money regardless. This is similar to another topic on the forum presently, and as I said, not trying to put anyone down- but if you are in the business to make $ off vehicles- go into a buy with the mindset that "this is getting crushed" that way- if it pays out more from parts- great, if it pays out more because someone wants the whole thing- EXCELLENT, but if it is its time to die- it is its time to die.. and you can console yourself by rubbing the tears from your eyes with the hundred dollar bills!

That's a good baseline for sure - I have always figured I need to pay around what a yard would pay to pick it up - I will actually call a couple places in their
    area and relay the quotes to vehicle owner. Normally they take my word for it, and if they don't, the yard owners tend to take a bad tone with them when they call back asking the same question (LOL) so it works out for me in the long run. Be polite & honest. I wish I was better at feeling people out and getting the cars for free or $50 or $100 - instead of $200-$300-$400

But sometimes you gamble and you win

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WoodmanYoel for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Woodman. You call the yard when you are standing there on a potential buy? AWESOME!

I call before I go and am firm in my stance. If I get a guy or gal that "knows they could get $400 for it at a scrap yard" when I'm offering $200. I tell them- "I'd take that offer and get the $400" and will walk. I know that there are places that will pay more than I can- but it is because they are the yards, or they are scrappers who run 20 cars a month and have better pricing. I'm not at that level so I have to compete with getting what I can offer, factor in my time to do the work (roughly 12-13 hours of time from pick-up to gut to scrapyard) and wave cash at them. I'm very polite, but have NO ISSUE with saying- "Sorry we couldn't work a deal.. if you change your mind, you have my number"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well I don't call them right in front of the customer per-say. I too can't make out like the scrap yard does either, can't compete - don't have the special pricing or the equipment. There are a lot of people in the state of Maine that are doing the scrap business and it does make it very competitive. I get by because I have a little secrete weapon and I figure most yards don't want to pick something up or travel very far. That $100-$200 less they will offer the customer, plus the cat (which I'm always bummed about when its not OE), and the wheels battery is where I work in my margin. Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy a car for $50-$100 - and in some places in the state you can, cause there isn't any scrap yards close by. I have gotten lucky sometimes when I'm feeling randy and I play sh!tpoke with the folks and I can take one away for $125 - $150. But like the old addage goes, its better to be a sheep shearer, than a butcher.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Woodman.. I have the same situation here- HIGHLY competitive market to get cars. I've got 4 guys within a 6 block radius of me that scrap cars. No Sh!t!! So I usually have to pay $200-$300 per vehicle. Gotten good enough to know what ones I can pay that upper end and which ones I can't. I'll tell ya.. if there is a crackhead lookin for a hit.. all he'd have to do is toss his hooptie on CL for $175 and he'd have 10 phone calls in 2 minutes- it is that hardcore here.

16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. How much do you pay for scrap vehicles?
      By dryvr12 in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
    2. This thead is a question - Government Liquidation: Brass Ammo Shells, scrap vehicles, etc.?
      By Scrap808 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-07-2013, 07:58 PM
    3. Texas - Dallas Area Yard...WE BUY THINGS OTHER THAN E-SCRAP!!!....but we buy that too...
      By HLH&R Metals Recycling in forum Scrap Buyers & Sellers
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
    4. How much would you pay for scrap vehicles?
      By Benjamin1 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
    5. Are girls allowed?
      By HiTEchWest in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 09-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Thread Information