SuperDave started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cars I can't bring myself to scrap!

2002 explorer XLT. Some mileage but clean. Up here we need to do a drive clean, so no lights on in the dash. Check engine is a no no, will have to plug it into my buddy's computer to see what code it is throwing.

[IMG][/IMG]

1998 Bonneville SSEi very low mileage, need to change the front bumper. I've got one already, picked one up in Barrie for 75$. Runs nice and pulls hard. Buried in snow obviously, will be a while before I can attack it. I've had it for 6 months.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another SSEi. This one is a 2000 pulls harder but much more mileage. Came with 4 real nice aftermarket rims, tires done. Needs front end work, ball joints and who knows what. Bit of rust around gas tank fill spout.

[IMG][/IMG]

1997 cavalier. low mileage also. Came with 2 sets of rims and tires, was thinking of using this to replace my Caravan, cheaper on gas.

For now my trailer and dolly are at a stand still, too freakin' cold, wimping out. Going to start stripping some more computers and hoard some more boards.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got some restaurant equipment on there now bought for cheap some good stainless. A desert cooler and a counter with 3 + 2 sinks.
    Better than scrap value there I hope.
    Last edited by SuperDave; 01-25-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    WARNING: User tends to exhibit open disrespect for authority and a
    generally mellow demeanor inconsistent with the gravity of the situation.

2. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by SuperDave:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Oooh do I know that feeling. Best of luck on deciding what to do and when to do it!
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That's why I don't do cars for scrap. To tempted to keep most of them. Lol.

Originally Posted by olddude
    There is a big difference between scrappers and scavengers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Start you a grill and sell used cars there ; )

Heard a story once, they had opened a restaurant beside the highway in middle of nowhere. Whoever was telling it had stopped there a couple times, great food, but not many customers. As time went by he'd see a truck there and some cars, then a couple trucks and more cars, then several trucks with a full lot of cars.
    He stopped in again while passing through, and saw the guy who ran the place and they got to talking. The guy said he wasn't getting much business until he bought 2 or 3 old trucks and parked em out beside it(said people see a place with trucks they think it must be good place to eat) and then the place had started getting all kinds of business ; )

7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Start you a grill and sell used cars there ; )

Heard a story once, they had opened a restaurant beside the highway in middle of nowhere. Whoever was telling it had stopped there a couple times, great food, but not many customers. As time went by he'd see a truck there and some cars, then a couple trucks and more cars, then several trucks with a full lot of cars.
    He stopped in again while passing through, and saw the guy who ran the place and they got to talking. The guy said he wasn't getting much business until he bought 2 or 3 old trucks and parked em out beside it(said people see a place with trucks they think it must be good place to eat) and then the place had started getting all kinds of business ; )
    This is so true, when I travel I eat a lot of late lunches between 2:00/3:00, if a place has a lot of cars in the lot in the middle of the day you can bet its a good place to eat

Edit: btw Dave, that's a good looking explorer(we call them exploders), I had one of those buicks once that was a burnout, the guy said it would really run
    Last edited by corycouch; 01-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    expect the worst and hope for the best
    cory couch
    c & c recycling
    JUNKERS AND CLUNKERS
    (870) 897-6484

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by corycouch:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    heck i would not scrap those! i would try and fix them first if you can if its nothing major. then if it cost more to fix then its worth i would pull the good sheet metal parts off and sell them(fenders,hood,trunk,wheels if it has decent tires). then the rest i would take to the scrap yard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!

Problem is I am not a car dealer, so I would need to transfer these vehicles to my name, pay the 13% tax on Kelly blue book value and then sell. Wonder how many I can do without becoming a dealer. The 13% on value can kill a lot of profit. If you are a dealer you don't pay tax but charge the customer the tax and you remit it.

You need a clean criminal record, I was charged with possession of tobacco in my early 20's, so I have a record. I can't even go to the states.

Up here you need a clean record to be a car dealer, and they even check your wife or common law spouse (she's clean) so I can't even make her a dealer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Possession of tobacco?? That's somethin our parents used to do when we were kids, and that got settled then an there with a quick trip to the woodshed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Possession of tobacco?? That's somethin our parents used to do when we were kids, and that got settled then an there with a quick trip to the woodshed
    That's funny! What I mean though Bear is that up here they smuggle tobacco from the U.S. because we pay real high tax on tobacco. Its a federal offence.

Young and stupid I was.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperDave for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Your in the wrong game then.buy and scrap you cant fall in love with them.
    Yeah i agree some can be fixed and sold but then comes the headache of transferring pays taxes and all of that then you end up not making much at all.

So dont fall in love and scrap.I have had many nice running and driving cars but that doesnt matter i guess since i have done this so long lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Focker View Post
    Yeah i agree some can be fixed and sold but then comes the headache of transferring pays taxes and all of that then you end up not making much at all.

So dont fall in love and scrap.I have had many nice running and driving cars but that doesnt matter i guess since i have done this so long lol.
    Yeah you are probably right stick to scrap. A throw away society we be.

If I could get 500$ a piece and not even haul....I would be happy. I mean cars that could be flipped.....

I should put the word out to used car dealers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yeah i understand that but like the explorer after everything you could get more than 50 out of it.
    I am saying you buy a car for 300 it needs a minor foxed for say 75.Ok well you fix it and want to sell it for 600 ok then you have to transfer it and pay taxes that is atleast 50-75.Ok then you have to deal with morons on craigslist offering dumb amounts and such then you take 550 per say.
    So after all of that hassle you make 150 when you could have made that or more scrapping it lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

So dont fall in love and scrap.
    Focker-
    You and I have had some differing opinions before- but I gotta say on this point- I agree with you 1000%

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge42 View Post
    Focker-
    You and I have had some differing opinions before- but I gotta say on this point- I agree with you 1000%
    yeah i understand that but like the explorer after everything you could get more than 50 out of it.
    I am saying you buy a car for 300 it needs a minor foxed for say 75.Ok well you fix it and want to sell it for 600 ok then you have to transfer it and pay taxes that is atleast 50-75.Ok then you have to deal with morons on craigslist offering dumb amounts and such then you take 550 per say.
    So after all of that hassle you make 150 when you could have made that or more scrapping it lol.

I also agree. Well said, isn't it Sledge!
    I'll be old one day and say: I used to have one of those...wish I had kept it...Boy are the ever worth money now!....
    Yep can't afford to keep them all either.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dave-
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers. Believe me I've had a few that I wanted to keep around.. or "pine at getting repaired" and each market is different, time is different, resources are different and people's goals are different. You have the space to store em (where as I do not) so I have to keep them around for a very short period of time and decide what is the best course of action.

I never take mine off my trailer- so if I have one sitting there- I can't even hunt for another. Where I am located and in my business model vehicles have 2 options for me presently:
    They get parted out and scrapped
    OR
    I don't touch em and sell them "as-is" for more than I paid for them.

Maybe someday I'll get a third option:
    Become more mechanically inclined and fix and sell.
    As of this day.. That isn't an option for me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sledge for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah the only way i keep one is to drive it myself for awhile then when it takes a crap just haul it in lol.
    I have right now a 1995 nissan pathfinder i bought cut the coverters off of it and now have maybe 175 in it and i take it off-roading lol.

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Making sure you are paid for what you bring in...
      By IdahoScrapper in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM
    2. Scrap Cars!
      By Focker in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Thread Information