Help identifying vintage escrap cards and boards

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    ScrappinRed started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Help identifying vintage escrap cards and boards

I've got some really interesting pieces here that I'm sorting out of a lot from an electronics hoarder. This guy had everything from electrical test equipment, computers, arcade games, early printers, etc. I truly am looking online and not finding anything like these. I put an SD card in some of the pics for size reference. Any and all help appreciated!!
    FIRST
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

SECOND
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

THIRD
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    ~You have to start somewhere to get anywhere~

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    CONTINUED....

FOURTH

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

FIFTH

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    That first board looks like something for you to build your own board. It is laid out so you can solder components and wires to whatever you want.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree, and I have several different sizes and shapes all made by Radio Shack. I found something called schmartboards that look like modern versions, but I had never seen anything like this before. Was this common in the 70'swith Radio Shack? Any idea on their value? Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
    That first board looks like something for you to build your own board. It is laid out so you can solder components and wires to whatever you want.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Radio Shack once sold all sorts of kits, as did Heathkit. All types of electronics type kits. I had a little metal detector from Radio Shack in the mid 60s. By the 70s they had the little Tandy Radio Shack (TRS) computer beginnings
    If you've ever seen old comic book or old magazine advertisements, they used to be highly concentrated near the back, advertising more stuff than I can recall. My interest was mostly stamps and coins and they'd advertise them as an assortment. They'd have little photographs of all the better stuff in the package, maybe you'd get one in the lot, plus a bunch of other crapola
    Radio shacks ads were of transistor boards, and their photographs were much the same, showing oodles of boards filled with transistors and stuff. Kinda like little grab bags full of stuff. Guys from school would by them and talk about how they fixed a TV or radio etc with a particular transistor they found on one of the boards or something like that
    Last edited by Bear; 01-22-2014 at 11:32 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    I believe the SECOND board is a testing board for building electronics. It has pins for easily tying on wires at the edges, then the traces lead through a different resistor for each pin. The resistors look like they all have different values so you could work out which one you needed for the project you were working on. I'm no expert in this, but I think that's what this one is for.

If you get the arcade stuff, I may be interested in it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pnutfarmer for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The fourth picture looks similar to a flip-chip. I have boxes of similar items that I just got from a local college. They advised me that most of it came from a computer/electronics class. Here is a link to ebay with a flip-chip.

flip chips vintage computing | eBay

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There are some really interesting -- and OLD -- technology components there! I'm in a rush right now and can't ID everything, but I know the things with the U-shaped handles on the top are logic modules from an old computer like a Burroughs 5000 or Univac. They're an example of "cordwood" modular design: "Normal components were soldered in parallel as closely as possible between two or more circuit cards. The benefit of this approach was high component density, an early attempt at miniaturisation. This technology lived on into the early transistor era of the 1960's, and NASA considered it for use in the Apollo Guidance Computer."

Some of the other cards might be from the same system. Did some of these items come from the same source?

I'll try to ID more later today when I have some time. Have a meeting I have to attend now.

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by FLimits:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Very cool info fl.

The cord wood analogy is neat.

It makes sense.

Electronics have changed so fast huh.

In a few years they say that about our suface mount tech now.... An early attempt at micro sizing.

Def collector value stuff.
    Mostly sodier fiber and some gold fingers and resistors.

I would touch and keep for future sale or collecting value. I'm far far from any expert. Solid advice info in posts above.

Aaron.
    Stillwater

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    They all came from the same location, but it was a mix of items there together. I DO however have several boards that say Univac and are in pretty good shape. They are not pictured, but I can add them later if needed. I have a few local buyers interested in some of these items, but I do not trust them completely to offer fair prices. I would like to sell these, and appreciate all help with identifying them as well as any input on value. Feel free to PM as well. THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by FLimits View Post
    There are some really interesting -- and OLD -- technology components there! I'm in a rush right now and can't ID everything, but I know the things with the U-shaped handles on the top are logic modules from an old computer like a Burroughs 5000 or Univac. They're an example of "cordwood" modular design: "Normal components were soldered in parallel as closely as possible between two or more circuit cards. The benefit of this approach was high component density, an early attempt at miniaturisation. This technology lived on into the early transistor era of the 1960's, and NASA considered it for use in the Apollo Guidance Computer."

Some of the other cards might be from the same system. Did some of these items come from the same source?

I'll try to ID more later today when I have some time. Have a meeting I have to attend now.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i have no idea on the others for pricing but on ebay for the horseshoe things i would thing $10-20 each for steampunk craft items

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Travis, some of the modules from early Univac are $400+ each. These are worth a lot more to a collector than as steampunk, but thanks for your suggestion.

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Help identifying pieces that came from a vintage test equipment auction
      By ScrappinRed in forum Scrap Metal Identification
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-24-2013, 10:13 PM
    2. This thead is a question - Need Some Help Identifying These Boards and Value
      By HollandScotts in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
    3. old vintage vid card need identifying
      By ozzy214 in forum Vintage Electronics
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-23-2013, 05:23 PM
    4. Vintage Video Cards
      By Mechanic688 in forum SMF Member Listings
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
    5. Need help identifying these boards