bigburtchino started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts

Seagate ST-1102A Hard Drive, Shuttle XPC, PM8M3-V Motherboard

Hello to everybody and Happy New Year. It's been over two months since I was last on the forum. Last ten weeks have been a challenge. Installing a new commercial complex landscape and the irrigation/drain systems are "new stuff". As with anything new, there's a learning curve and we are making the mistakes to match the "curve". I owe a couple members some PM's and apologies. I truly appreciate all the private advice I received on the gold refining. I will get back with you when I can (very soon) and didn't mean to leave anyones inquires unanswered. Just had a lot of my money going everywhere but where I want it to go! I still have sold no E-waste scrap, just keep processing and learning. Have decided to quit trying to locate a buyer in California and sell the premium stuff to members of the forum buyers. Honestly it's a no brainer where the best boards will go. The refiners will also be forum members, no surprise to most of you already but there are some really smart members!

Now for what this post is about, had a chance to look at some boxes yesterday. Found a couple of things that are new to me. I'm sure not for a lot of you, electronics I'm pretty good with and computers I'm not. The Seagate ST-1102A hard drive look a lot different then most. I have more than two dozen I previously pulled to compare to. This is narrow, shorter and in a double stack configuration. What really got my attention! is the "shine" in those gold pin on the back (bling bling). Went to Ebay after finding I had nothing like it. First two listings start out with "vintage" and I learned MFG. date 1989. The other item maybe somebody is more familiar than me. The Shuttle X, is it a computer? Last Item the MSI PM8M3-V H motherboard. This mother is brand new never used, until this one they always came in a computer. This one was still wrapped in new anti-static bags. The disappointment, no CPU INSTALLED! Didn't realize brand new mothers came without the CPU. Just got a sticker that states: Improper CPU installation might cause damage to your socket (MIGHT?). Don't think the mother is anything special, as the board is a bright red (tells me China). As always look forward to everyone thoughts. Will do some pictures tonight, it's time to go to my "better than scrap gig".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hard drive:
    Unless it has something special about it or is corporate type use, scrap it.

The Shuttle X:
    if I am guessing at what you are trying to describe they were a compact computer for gaming / lan parties and are indeed a computer. they were termed "shuttle" because you took them wit you when you went somewhere and shuttled them around.

Look inside. they are very tightly packed but you should find the same standard goodies. These parts are worth looking up before scrapping. They require low profile part that is often more expensive and dense. it should contain mid to high grade boards, ram, finger cards / expansion boards, harddrive, ribbon cable, some have cd/dvd drives others do not, iron, etc.

Motherboard:
    Unless you buy a new board / CPU combo, many of the better boards all come bare (no CPU / Heatsink). I would not rely on the board being new because it is static wrapped. I repair computers and will commonly put used boards in the static bags for later use if they worked and it was a upgrade. Not saying there is no value if it looks like it is in good shape, you can attempt sale as new but it is helpful to have box and packaging / disks if this were true. You can test it and sell it as used, less money this way but also better saleability due to the fact you can guarantee it to work (list as new-other, used one to test to verify working condition in description.) or just scrap it for what you can get.

hope that helps.

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bcrepurposing:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Another indicator of value of items is check the "sold" listings on eBay to see what they are really worth. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

6. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrepurposing View Post
    Hard drive:
    Unless it has something special about it or is corporate type use, scrap it.
    I wouldn't be hasty to scrap anything computer related from the 80s, I'd say that alone makes it somewhat special, and how do you know a corporate used one from another? I've certainly never seen that information in the model numbers, or even on the label.

A quick google on the drive, and a peek on ebay only returned one completed listing, unsold@ $5(didn't check shipping cost) -non working - for parts, it would be my guess most anyone searching for such a drive already has at least one just like it. Any vintage HDD of 89MB, tested and working, should easily bring well above scrap, and they're not that difficult to test. I didn't study into that either(I'm kind of in a hurry here) but search results stated IDE, it should plug right up with any system using IDE, simply run a disk check for starters

I didn't look at your other items either, but good luck with it Burt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Had another long day yesterday so no pictures yet! I secured this dumpster last week, so I rechecked it yesterday. My thoughts now, is someone has bought out a "failed computer repair shop". I have learned that dumpsters can tell a story, never do you get full book but maybe a chapter or two. I now have retrieved four large boxes of carefully packed computer stuff! All showing me, that it was of value to original owner. Also found boxes of financial and record keeping information from failed company. I don't like to read about someone else's personal information. I did obtain enough to know what the man did for a living. Starting as a radio/tv repair in the 60,s and advancing into computer repairs. There was more boxes of paper than valuable computer stuff. I'm in the process of having all boxes of paper shredded. I "think" all of this has been in storage for about ten years. The computer stuff dates from mid 80's and ends about 2004. Bcrepurosing you were 100% correct on that Shuttle X. Did some research (just a little) last night on Ebay. It apears to me, that I could do really good selling the individual parts. Just the outer metal shell recently sold for $20 plus shipping. As I couldn't resist did a complete breakdown of unit early this morning. I have no interest in "gaming", personally think this is today's biggest waste of time (my opinion). I will take there money and put it to good use (thank you very much). The cooling setup and heatsink in this unit is amazing! I'm familiar with advanced and highly engineered electronics, but they were in very expensive and flight safety avionics, not what is basically a toy (call it what you want)! The motherboard (MSI PM8MS-V) is brand new. As I stated in first post it was wrapped in anti-static bag. To be more specific, sealed with tamper proof tape (anti-static). This mother is brand new, from the factory.I know cleanroom clean when I see it, have electronics degree, FCC license with radar endorsement and 20+ years in aviation avionics. Not trying to say I know anything, just a little personal background about myself. You were 100% correct on most of what I'm finding here. Someone purposely packed these items after removing used, working items for future use. I would have prefered to keep motherboard factory sealed, had to open it to identify contents. So far have found two other brand new items, both are 56x CD-ROM's (model #EL56, made Ja. 2003). These are factory sealed and new, As i can read info I'm leaving them sealed. As I have no way to test any of these items, plan to sell as is. Everything used, looks to me to be A+ shape, carefully boxed and sealed for the last ten years. Bear I agree with everything you said, I'm going to take one of my old office computers, making myself a test bench. Been wanting to set up an E & E bench for since I started processing E-wASTE. May even get this brain thinking about electrons again, if you don't use it you loose it.

Couple of new questions: 1. Western Digital Cavair 31000, model WDAC31000-OOH, P/N 99-004143-000, MFG. Date Nov. 94 Singapore. 2. Colorado 350 inter tape drive, model jumbo 350, P/N DJ35C, MFG. date Mar. 95 USA. 3. Floppy drives different models and companies (found so far 2o+) 3.5 and 3.25 all made in Japan/Thailand. 4. lots of cords, cables and internal connection cables. brand new still packaged. 5. Manuals, CD's and Floppy's. This is how I'm finding this load, Boxes of components (4), Box of Manuals (1), Boxes of cable/wire (3) Box of CD's and Floppy's. I will do my own research as much as possible and share what I learn. I'm not a computer person. Would welcome any of your thoughts. I'm thinking some of the CD's are drivers and programs for shop use. Thanks everybody! (sorry about rambling, spelling and no pic's - just a lot going on).
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 01-08-2014 at 01:56 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    the 94 hdd is probably not much value, under 1gb might be some, but time consuming too. The Colorado drives might be worth checking, I have some(not sure same type) software for them, might work. I never saw much in documentation, again, time consuming, but you just might find some jewels(in time ; ) CD drives, new in box, same price CD drives in scrap ; ) haha, my guess anyway Old drivers and software might be worth something to someone, somewhere, somehow, maybe haha again ; )
    I have a thing with operating systems software, old Windows DOS type stuff, or Unix, Linux, Irix, Solaris, operating systems software, even Apple. Documentation/manuals with that type stuff is a plus. The trouble with it still is cataloging it all, very time consuming, if you ever even get around to it
    Good luck man, and I'd also watch for lone components in the paperwork boxes. Google being what it is, might be much simpler for you now, than it was for him then

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Bear kinda answered almost all floppy and hard drives. Feel a little like stupid not a computer guy, but I can read. Made a note to self, no more posting until search feature is utilized. Easy to find most time it's almost always here somewhere. I never had this much computer stuff at one time. I had 30 to 40 hard drives and about the same CD and Floppies all stored. I like to use old coping paper boxes for these. Every thing easy to label, heavy duty boxes and standard uniform box size. Basically keep all Cd together and HD's in another. With this recent find going to have about 60 of each type. Might now be a good time to scrap. What do you guys do, I know much more efficient with numbers, anyone have like cutoff is 100 to overwhelming. On the Hard Drives, what would be the like best three to sell on ebay? 540mb IDE, or maybe pull all 80gb and above for ebay. Are all HD boards Hi grade. On magnets do you keep them seprate or can HD's and CDR magnets be combined?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    just take it easy and don't go to scrapping too soon, unless you've just gotta. What you have is a grade A opportunity to learn about the good stuff, and it's sad to realize when you just scrapped a motherboard for $5 when classic ones can bring sometimes over a $100

I save a number of 3.5" floppy drives, you'll rarely see one made in USA any more, what I keep back are ones from Philippines, Indonesia, Japan, most china I just scrap. HDD boards are twice what motherboards per pound. Far as CD/Optical drives I save DVD writers and maybe several readers too(for having a second player when doing drive to drive coppy)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That kinda what I'm doing, going to keep all one of a kind. If it isn't initially recognized and gets my attention, I'm going to study it to death. Already thinking about what kind of 80's and 90's machine I can build. It almost seems like that was what the attentions of original owner. The boxes were to well planned and packed. I think I'm going to find a manual for each component, have matched several already. In cables there's one box of all never opened cables, a lot of internal flat ribbon cables. I don't get going and putting it all in separate boxes and no original boxes. I guess he knew his business and for me its like a puzzle. My money says everything worked when he packed it, to much obvious thought went into this. I was amazed how tight everything was. Components were packed in big boxes, about the size of the largest counter top microwave. I helped my new dumpster sorter (HIRED WEEK BEFORE XMAS) left them out. I had to actually jump end, wanted either of hurting our backs. That first box was easy 200 lbs. im going to need some kind lifting device. New guy has to be at least 60 and I'm not but maybe six years behind him. I was looking for a man I could trust and help me organize a startup. Didn't hire for youthful human crane needing a job to buy presents. New man is organized and I like that! More important comes to work early, very rare these days. My girlfriend was giving me crap for wasting money on someone the week before Christmas. She don't know what I know and man was right fit at right time and he's pleased to be working again. He got a little wide eyed when he saw dumpsters. Going to crossed eyed when told, empty this one, fill that one and any metal, wire or it looks like put it there on big table. Last week he was all questions and this week was, I can't beleive someone throws this out over and over. Can't wait to show him all the tools, gets me wet anyway.

16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Bear you were right about the box with manuals found one component in another box. A Neiman Marcus catalog sales division shipping box, address that box was sent to, has the repair shops address. Don't know if shipping box & what was inside or connected, does connect to his shop though. Inside was a computer component I have not seen before. A Genitizer Genius Autocad Template, that's how it is labeled on front of device. Device about the size of a 'clip board", measuring 9 1/4" w x 13" h x 15/16" d,. Back of device, manufacturers label, Gentitizer KY893116, model No. GT-906, Serial No. 92012795. Copyright 88, 89, 90. Made Taiwan. I searched google, Ebay, and here, finding very little. Called my brother, a commercial graphics artist, he does a lot of computer art work. He said these were used by artist, designers and engineers. He never used this one though, a lot of artist he knew, liked the pad. Problems were always getting device to interface with existing systems. You needed a high speed system, most users had to do upgrades, time you got it going, newer autocad passed you by. Talking to my brother, the problem was with the users, keeping up with newer applications. Sounds familiar, nothing changed we all still doing that. Anyway would like to find out more about this item, does it have value? What inside components? Silver mylar? Gold plated PCB? Some of you smart computer people might know I thought or someone has found one and scrapped it! This has two cable/wires attached at top of pad. A pointer pen for working pad and 25 pin parallel connector for computer connection. Ideas, suggestions and thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That's a digitizer tablet. As your brother said, you use it for computer graphics. It seems to be (or to have been) fairly popular with people who use Amiga computers, so you might be able to sell it. So what exactly do you have there? Is it the tablet, the pen, and the cable with a DB-25 connector? Is there any software or anything else? Can you sell it as new old stock, still in box? Let me know, and I'll give you some suggestions on how to sell it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Do you still have all the other stuff you mentioned earlier in the thread? You can definitely sell some of that. The Shuttle, by the way, is what's called a "bare bones system." It's used by people who want to build their own computer. Actually, I might be interested in that one! I was just looking at some of those last night.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Bear that's good Ebay info, I'm still not selling on Ebay, but want to start, time never enough of right now. Will turn to this forum to clear my head of "overload" with other work. I want to do Ebay, as I have a lot of items that have history of selling and much better return than scraping. Also better to have something utilized if others have a need. Flimits the pointer pen is hard wired and has no connector. The other cable looks to me (not verified) same type as some printers have. I t will be latter tonight, I will do some pictures. Going to have to run out to a job site, that I need to get ready, have equipment drop off in morning that needs access road cleared. Thanks guys for your quick response and sorry for my dash & run.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Right, I meant the cable that would connect the tablet to the PC. And you are correct, if it's a DB-25, that is a parallel port connector -- which is how we used to connect our computers to our printers back in the day.

Sorry you're working on Sunday!

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Hard Drive Value
      By rmiller943 in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
    2. Hard Drive Arm
      By bpatnoe in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM
    3. Hard Drive Erase Software. Requirements For Selling Hard Drives
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 37
      Last Post: 08-23-2013, 03:30 AM
    4. This thead is a question - hard drive ?
      By roboutlaw in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 06-13-2013, 01:53 AM
    5. hard drive disc
      By happyscraper in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 08-27-2012, 11:27 PM

Thread Information