I don't understand

| General - Let's talk business
    scrapping4ever started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I don't understand

So the school that i am a student at did construction over the summer and got metal dumpsters from a well known scrap yard. Most likely requested from the construction companies themselves but 10 feet down in the regular trash dumpster there is computers, ceiling fans, and more. Now as you saw in one of my other posts I picked up that treadmill the other day. Well they are also remodeling the big cabinent things that go under the windows that are also heaters and they aren't done yet but I couldn't advert my eyes from the giant pile of these things accumulated outside. The pile would get some added then go away so i thought they were scrapping themselves- wouldn't be the first time. But then out comes a forklift with all the front panels to these things and dumps them into what I believe is the regular trash dumpster or compacter and I almost . Are the schools just above recycling the refuse they generate and they would rather take that taxpayer money? I thought about offering my service but I don't know how to go about it. Meant to go check the dumpster but with my Dad working over time and me not being old enough to drive, I couldn't. Sorry for the rant and if i knew how to entitle it that, I would.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Should you offer your services? Yes sir you should! I'd offer to take it offer their hands for free, assuming there was enough profit to make it worth your time of course. Let them know by using you, not only do they save money,(not paying for dumpsers, or contractors), Helping the envrioment, which in turns keeps your fellow students healthy, etc etc. Point out the positive's of what you can offer. Worse they can say is no.

You could also offer to buy it from them if you have the money to do so from your previous turn ins. Offer them what you can an still make a profit. My thrift store knows they could do what I do, but they'd have to spend time an money to dispose of it, an make any money off it, not to mention training their employees on how to break the stuff down. It's easier for them to give me the stuff, an let me worry about the breakdown, transportation of it, etc.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Good luck if you decide to take a shot at it!

Sirscrapalot - Positive anything is better than negative nothing. - Elbert Hubbard

3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    GO GET IT!!! A school is where I made my biggest haul so far - over 100 computer systems, plus copiers, printers, vcr's, ebooks, etc,etc. Over three trailer loads. Think - you get a whole classroom of computers... The school I got was big enough that there was a specific person titled "Facilities Manager". Or the principal could direct you to the right person.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    GO GET IT!!! A school is where I made my biggest haul so far - over 100 computer systems, plus copiers, printers, vcr's, ebooks, etc,etc. Over three trailer loads. Think - you get a whole classroom of computers... The school I got was big enough that there was a specific person titled "Facilities Manager". Or the principal could direct you to the right person.
    As soon as I read the dumpster full of puters I was thinkin the same thing. Gonna contact my college soon cause half of their computers dont work and the ones that do they are still running xp. Cheaaaap school.
    If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

GC Metal Recycling & Recovery
    Barrie, Ontario.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    hey scrapping4ever Wanna go ? ill drive over from jersey lol. I wish my high school

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redcrossnj for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    I have found schools here very very hard to deal with. seems they would rather deal with some one 300 miles away for less money than with some one local. Remember school is where our politicians first learn the bureaucratic system. The key is getting to the right person on the school board.
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ^ yes I a agree with olddude schools and other people would rather throw that stuff away then let people take it and make money.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A buddy of mine at school was able to get a truck load of scrap from our school. Its an automotive college so lots of scrap to deal with. They just gave it to him. So I think mines alright to deal with. But we'll see lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    jord your in Canada. I'm over in jersey . The garden state . some of the best people you'll ever met LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Two different dumpsters, one likely for the construction company clean-up, and the other is the schools clean out. Possibly the scrap metal still won't accept computers with circuit boards, you should get talking to somebody soon. Catch the guys filling them up and ask them who to talk to, they might point you right to their boss, who likely has some say if you can take it. Each dumpster may have it's own overseer too, one with company, one from school etc. Be prepared to offer solutions if they're afraid of data from the hard drives, easiest solution may be just remove and hammer em to bits (wearing safety glasses of course ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Whole lot of luck to ya cause a lot of people don't take "kids" seriously.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

scrapping4ever started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Whole lot of luck to ya cause a lot of people don't take "kids" seriously.
    Thats what I was getting at.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to scrapping4ever for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    don't take it personally, I know how you feel I get It all the time

19. The Following User Says Thank You to redcrossnj for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Go in there with your sale's pitch ready to go, an it shouldn't matter your age. An if they say your to young, just point to all the new multi millionare "kids" who are developing aps for smart phones, running other successful companies, etc.

Age despite popular opinion in the world, doesn't = Wisdom. The younger folks on here prove this. You guys are far an away a head of your peers, doing what you do. Not many kids in HS or even college have the gumption to get out there an make a living off of scrapping. You younger folks here on the forum are certinaly not what I'd call the typic kid/teen/young adult. Running your own business, not relying on mom and dad for your money, etc..is all points in your favor. Long as you go in there dressed right, not talking like your texting or out with your buddies you should do ok. Present your self as the professional you are, an things should work for you.

Anyone can flip burgers or work a register, not everybody can go out, take the bull by the horns find a niche market an make it work for them..an thats at any age. Even better if you can do it while young. The ones that brush you off, are fools to just disregard you cause of your age.

I've said it before an I'll say it again..I applaud all of you guys still in school, whether HS, or College, that have the ambition, work ethic, an ability to be self starting an not ask for things to be handed to you. So yes their fools if they judge based on youth alone!

Good luck again, keep on keeping on!

Sirscrapalot - Why no, I don't have a filter, an do say what I think..whether others agree/approve or not. - Me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If all else fails, I would pack a snorkel and go diving!

~Anna
    YouThinkItScrap

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Help me understand paypal
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
    2. I understand competition, but this is getting WAY out of hand
      By TheHoss in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 05-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Thread Information