ilyaz started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

ISO freeware for partial wiping of harddrives

Can anybody suggest freeware that can be used to DoD wipe only the unused part of a harddrive? That is, I have a working computer that I want to sell and I want to make sure that no data can be recovered from unused part of the drive (where there used to be files that were simply deleted). I don't want to wipe the whole drive and reinstall OS. Thx

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I have no idea, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and pretty handy with Google.

https://www.google.com/#q=ISO+freewa...of+hard+drives
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KzScrapper View Post
    I have no idea, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
    What a coincidence! I found a motel 6 sign in the floor of a barn one time : D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    What a coincidence! I found a motel 6 sign in the floor of a barn one time : D
    Did Tom leave the light on for you??
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Did Tom leave the light on for you??
    No, but the farmers daughter did ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaz View Post
    Can anybody suggest freeware that can be used to DoD wipe only the unused part of a harddrive? That is, I have a working computer that I want to sell and I want to make sure that no data can be recovered from unused part of the drive (where there used to be files that were simply deleted). I don't want to wipe the whole drive and reinstall OS. Thx
    I think you're asking a bit much Ilyaz, just my guess. There's something I've used, but I've never seen mentioned on here, if you have a partition magic or G-Parted type partitioning software available, and you can manually delete all unwanted information from the drive, then compress and defragment the drive several times with both Windows and Iobit Smart-Defrag programs to get it as condensed as possible. Then use the partitioning program to make a partition in the free space using a ext2, 3, or 4 type file system, then change it back to NTFS, rendering any info on the free space unrecoverable.
    I have been around the block a few times with drives and partitions, and although I was never really in the know, I did enough experimentation on all forms of drives and circumstances, that would be my best suggestion, but it would seem an awful lot to do to save wiping the entire drive and starting with a fresh install of Windows ; )

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

There is a utility built into Windows that will do just that let me dig around to find the name.

The program is called cipher it is in Windows 2000 and newer.
    You type it at the cmd prompt cipher /w:c would wipe the free space on the C drive.

Just remember some of your data could still be recovered. if it shares a sector that is used that may not get wiped.
    Last edited by twmart; 11-25-2013 at 11:32 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twmart for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Then use the partitioning program to make a partition in the free space using a ext2, 3, or 4 type file system, then change it back to NTFS, rendering any info on the free space unrecoverable.
    I have been around the block a few times with drives and partitions, and although I was never really in the know, I did enough experimentation on all forms of drives and circumstances, that would be my best suggestion, but it would seem an awful lot to do to save wiping the entire drive and starting with a fresh install of Windows ; )
    Thanks Bear. I did not realize that you can use a partitioning program to make a new partition on a disk that already has one, without messing that one up. Learning something every day.

The reason why I want to do it this way is that this computer is low-end, has a small disk, little RAM etc and I don't have access to a free or cheap copy of Windows. So I just want to wipe whatever I can and sell the machine as is, without spending too much time on it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twmart View Post
    There is a utility built into Windows that will do just that let me dig around to find the name.

The program is called cipher it is in Windows 2000 and newer.
    You type it at the cmd prompt cipher /w:c would wipe the free space on the C drive.

Just remember some of your data could still be recovered. if it shares a sector that is used that may not get wiped.
    Thanks twmart. Interestingly, most articles on the MS Support page refer to Win 2K or XP, nothing newer, but that is probably all I need. Maybe if I run it a few times, I can claim victory and say old data cannot be recovered.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I would run it then do a defrag and run it again. Running it more than once on the same drive with no changes would not do much.
    cipher does a 3 pass wipe.

P.S.
    I just did some digging on MS technet and found an article in cipher. It covers Windows 7, 8, Vista, Server 2003, 2008 and 2012.
    Last edited by twmart; 11-26-2013 at 08:01 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by twmart:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Yes the whole.point of a partioning program...like partition magic allows you to add and take away partitions in windows...it will move the info around when you add a partition ect...it sometimes can take hours on large hard drives so run overnight. It is visual and easy to run...partition magic is not free but then again if you kbiw where to look it can be.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to webuyselltradestuff for This Post:

19. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. New Hard Drive Wiping Cabinet I'm working on
      By ryanw in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
    3. Hard Drives not being recognized for wiping
      By GeorgeB in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM