True T49 commercial refrigerator

| More than Scrap Value
    01GTB started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Guy stopped by my place a few months ago and asked if I would be interested in a commercial food service refrigerator. It belonged to a church that he did maintanence work for. He said they would like a donation for it, and suggested $40. I wrote them a check for $75. They purchased a new one after they were informed this one would need a new compressor. Being 11 years old they just decided not to spend $500 to fix it. I honestly didn't know much about them but figured I could sell it outright for well above scrap value. I've seen similar ones sell on ebay, needing a compressor, for $300+. And that's what I was going to do. But after seeing it sitting in my shop for months I've thought maybe it would be worth repairing to sell.

Anyone run across something like this? Part of me thinks, get what you can the way it sits. Then I see ones sell for well over a grand that don't look this good. One way or the other this 50cf, 500lb beast needs to move...it takes up a ton of space.

Last edited by 01GTB; 11-17-2013 at 02:12 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I get some big units on occasion but the requirement is that they be evacuated of freon before being released to me so I'm never quite sure what the issue is and don't have the space to store them. If I can't find a local restaurant equipment company that wants it I go after the easy parts like shelves and their supports, hinges and handles, then off to the crusher.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    01GTB:
    I recently was given a commercial grade "Fudge Machine" Before it met its demise I called and called, googled me buns off. But to get to the end result. I was given the name of a local restaurant equipment company. These places sold everything restaurant related. Grills, freezers, trays, warmers, ovens etc.. You name it they stocked it- and it was all used equipment. I ended up selling a broken (motor seized) "fudge kettle" for $200 bucks. I got far more than scrap value off of it.. and I figured $200 off a freebie was a pretty good day! I'm certain your fridge would fetch far more!

You can read the whole thread here if interested. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/day-l...e-machine.html
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01GTB View Post
    Guy stopped by my place a few months ago and asked if I would be interested in a commercial food service refrigerator. It belonged to a church that he did maintanence work for. He said they would like a donation for it, and suggested $40. I wrote them a check for $75. They purchased a new one after they were informed this one would need a new compressor. Being 11 years old they just decided not to spend $500 to fix it. I honestly didn't know much about them but figured I could sell it outright for well above scrap value. I've seen similar ones sell on ebay, needing a compressor, for $300+. And that's what I was going to do. But after seeing it sitting in my shop for months I've thought maybe it would be worth repairing to sell.

Anyone run across something like this? Part of me thinks, get what you can the way it sits. Then I see ones sell for well over a grand that don't look this good. One way or the other this 50cf, 500lb beast needs to move...it takes up a ton of space.

How do you know it needs a compressor? One in three compressors returned to the factory for replacement were NDF (no defect found) and that is from a tech checking it (not a good one but good ones are hard to find). The only way really to know if it is truly bad is to run a megger/hi-pot on it to check the winding which is never done. I would pull out the mulit meter and check the system to confirm it's a bad compressor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantoms001 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was just going by what the guy with the church told me. It crossed my mind that it could have been something other than the compressor.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I would definitely find a tech that knows what they're doing. A few years back a guy called about a True freezer I had, to replace his. According to his guy the compressor or something was bad. I ended up trading my freezer for his old one, plus a few firearms. With the firearms value the freezer was almost free.

Took the freezer to a tech. I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was simple, and about $180 bucks I think. Flipped it for $1,500.

True makes pretty solid equipment and it's probably worth repairing, or at least getting it looked at.

10. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by IdahoScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I would foe certainly get it looked at by someone who you can trust. I still do a little hvacr and been called a few time on a compressor replacement and found it to be a switch or overload. I'm just to honest to hose anyone. so have it checked outed out. just my 2 cents
    Cleaning up the e-waste one company at a time

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by tski72:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    I've found a faulty thermostat was an issue a lot in these. It's easy to check. There should be two wires connected to the thermostat. Just connect them together and see if the compressor turns on and cools the fridge down after you plug the unit back in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanw for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tski72 View Post
    I would foe certainly get it looked at by someone who you can trust. I still do a little hvacr and been called a few time on a compressor replacement and found it to be a switch or overload. I'm just to honest to hose anyone. so have it checked outed out. just my 2 cents

You're not coming to Florida anytime soon, are you? LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    I thought I'd revisit this thread since I was on my cell phone when I posted here last. Unless this thing is in pristine condition (super clean, and not physically damaged), I wouldn't bother with having it fixed...it's pretty old and that is taken into consideration when restaurants are buying equipment. It could take awhile to recoup your costs in repairs. Sell parts off of it. Does it have casters? If so, you can get $40-50 for those. Vent grill, any switches, shelves, etc.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanw for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tski72 View Post
    The list of stupid things goes on and on. If it's low on freon it won't start, if the capacitor is bad, if the fan is bad it won't run (over heat and shut off), if the relay is bad, if the thermostat is bad, any one of a number of wires could have got "pinched" and shorted against the metal, a wire could be broken, the blade connectors at the compressor could be bad, the compress could just be stuck (you just wack it on the top right or left with a hammer), voltage could be irregular, the compressor could need a hard start, and I'm just getting started. These are all simple things you can check yourself.

Bust out a multi meter...........

Make sure you have power at the compressor,

Then ohm your compressor

It's a very simple place to start.
    Last edited by Phantoms001; 11-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Phantoms001:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I have scrapped hunreds of fridge compressors & theres only been four or five faulty compressors.

Theres been a few that did die because of rough handling when its been shifted, or its been shifted on its side & the mounting springss

21. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Analysis of ewaste true value
      By ScrapYaHerd in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 61
      Last Post: 02-01-2015, 05:01 PM
    2. Score, motherload, or otherwise awesome thread. - TOO good to be true
      By corycouch in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM
    3. Is it true??
      By kimmisue in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 14