1towman started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Suggestions for fluid drain rack design

Hey everybody thinking about building a rack so that I can set the cars on it to drain the fluids and would like suggestions. Does anyone have a set up that has barrels either under the rack or off to the side and have a built in drain system in to separate the different fluids. If so did you start fresh or modify something else?

thanx, ben

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    what are you going to "set" them on there with?

does it really matter if the fluids are separated ?
    Last edited by Bear; 10-20-2013 at 01:32 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would be using a fork lift and as far as separating the fluids I would want to keep the antifreeze by itself and the oil in another container. Not sure if anybody around where I live buys used oil but I would like to keep it as pure as possible.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ahhh, antifreeze, i see.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah Bear to get the best price around here means that I have to drain the fluids and poke holes in the pans so I want to empty things first and I would rather stand under a car on a rack then my old fork lift LOL. Just lookin for ideas from some of the old pros. Hopefully prices will start back up cause my troubles would be over cause a local yard takes em fresh off the street and no drainin required. Their is a $55 difference per ton just for draining the fluids and dropping them off myself and right now it's worth it so I'm just wanting to make it as automated as possible and if I can sell some of the pure oil and antifreeze for a little green then it's worth taking the time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1towman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1towman View Post
    Yeah Bear to get the best price around here means that I have to drain the fluids and poke holes in the pans so I want to empty things first and I would rather stand under a car on a rack then my old fork lift LOL. Just lookin for ideas from some of the old pros. Hopefully prices will start back up cause my troubles would be over cause a local yard takes em fresh off the street and no drainin required. Their is a $55 difference per ton just for draining the fluids and dropping them off myself and right now it's worth it so I'm just wanting to make it as automated as possible and if I can sell some of the pure oil and antifreeze for a little green then it's worth taking the time.
    For reals man, that oil can be used for heating and other stuff, not sure about antifreeze. Good thinking

Thanks
    I built a rack a few years back for a local wrecking yard to do the same thing. I used two lengths of 12 inch I beam for the wheels or hubs to sit in and welded 4 inch heavy wall sqaure tubing as legs and braces. I then fabbed up a sqaure pan to sit on the edges of the I beam to drain fluids into. The bottom of the pan had a fitting for a rubber hose to drain into a 45 gallon barrel. I forget what antifreeze was worth,but used oil went for 12 cents a liter. Then I had to repair the Cat loader and build a set of forks for it to move cars,but that is another story.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey burner any chance I could get the name of the yard so I could see if somebody would be willing to take a few pics for me. Right now I need to try and make it as automated as I can cause like lots you guys I'm a one man show and with the powers that be in DC I will most likely stay a believer in the "Kiss" method cause their is no way I'm going to be saddled with all the cost of hiring a guy over the table when I can do it myself. Heck who needs a private life anyway LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Here's a rack to get a general idea.

Iron Ax, Inc. - OEM - Mobile Shears, Scrap Processing and Demolition Equipment, Enviro Rack, and Tire Shears

If I were in need of one, I'd probably just built an i-beam frame, then use IBC totes to drain the various fluids into.

http://sinistercyb.org/wp/wp-content...13/07/ibc.jpeg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah I'm already looking into the totes and what kind of prices I'll have to pay around my neck of the woods. (Oregon) I'm hoping to find some cheap ones on Craigslist that a large company might be willing to deliver or drop off if one of their trucks is running up the I5 corridor. I need to check into red tape and see what kind of hassle it will be to be legit. I think only the freon and gasoline will be what requires a license. What does everybody do with the tired gasoline that they can't use for their own uses? My towing biz is too sweet to risk having some local turn me in for no good reason. Those guys are like a bloodhound (no offense fido) once they smell $ and I don't plan on giving them any reason to sniff!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 1towman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I had some super old gas. Put it on CL thinking someone might want it to start a bonfire or what have you. Someone came and got it right away. I asked what he used it for. Apparently he cleans engine parts with it. Hey if it works, who am I to stop him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    The tanks that I have seen cars fluids getting drained into look like a beer keg on four wheels.

Theres a vertical tube in the centre, thats extendable & its got a wide funnel on the top of the tube.

The guy wheels the unit under the car, unlocks the vertical tube & extends it upwards, locks it & undoes the plug holding the engine oil etc in & removes it.
    The fluid drains out into the funnel, down the vertical tube, into the beer keg unit.

this pic took ages to arrive>
    This pics a good one & another, probably more simple idea >
    (the swing arm ideas a good one)

17. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Go with a Vortex

I've been to countless yards and seen it done many ways. But barrels and totes are not the way to go. The Axe has way to many things that can go wrong not to mention tons of safety problems. This drill system is okay other than the fact that break down a lot and cost a fortune to up keep. The way to go is to not money around with the whole situation and get a Vortex Machine. These guys have it done and make very nice systems for any sized yard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Wow, old post..

I saw the National Geographic documentary about scrapyards.

They had a unit that they placed under the tank, using compressed air they shot this double lined tube up into the base of the tank, it then blew air into the tank, blowing the liquid down thru the outer tube into the recieving tank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carscrapper View Post
    I've been to countless yards and seen it done many ways. But barrels and totes are not the way to go. The Axe has way to many things that can go wrong not to mention tons of safety problems. This drill system is okay other than the fact that break down a lot and cost a fortune to up keep. The way to go is to not money around with the whole situation and get a Vortex Machine. These guys have it done and make very nice systems for any sized yard.
    This is not accurate info at all. We have several of the Iron Ax Enviro Racks and they are very safe. The carscrapper poster is completely wrong. They don't break down and the only thing we have had to replace is a couple of funnel's and one drill.

We looked into the Vortex machine, but didn't get one because we were told that the pumps freeze in cold weather and that the pumps have a high failure rate. I am just trying to set the record straight.

21. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by metalman123:

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Flyer design help
      By weeeben in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM
    2. Black pipe drain danger
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 08-06-2012, 07:06 AM
    3. where do i drain oil from on riding mower
      By skippy in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap