Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Just starting to sell on ebay - electrical

I started buying a couple months ago and now started selling. I've got a lot of electrical equipment from an auction. I'd bought it intending to scrap it but seems like it should do better than that. Anyway, I just put a couple of single items to get started. There is a lot of stuff - my truck was overloaded on the way home. If you have any interest in anything specific, send me a PM. No wiring - a scrap yard owner outbid me on all of it (probably a couple tons all together).

Crouse Hinds 1 1 2 inch Conduit Outlet Body w Cover | eBay
    Killark Gufs Union Swivel 1 inch Opening Aluminum 180 Deg Bend | eBay
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 514 Posts
    When you are pricing your items
    Look at what the same kind of item has sold for in the past
    Crouse-Hinds 1-1/2 Conduit Outlet Body | eBay

I roll the shipping cost into the start price and offer FREE shipping
    $15.00 + $3.60 = $18.60 with FREE shipping
    Gets you an auto 5 star DSR for shipping cost

I didn't see any others listed
    You have $11.85 for shipping
    I would slip into a Priority flat rate envelope and ship anywhere in USA for $6.00
    And again, I would add shipping to start price and list with the FREE shipping

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
    For those kind of small heavy items the Regional rate A and B box's should come in handy
    You can only get them from USPS site or 800 number
    https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...S_RegionalRate

A ships at 2 pound rate MAX weight is 15 pounds >> 2 Size box's
    Top loading >> Outside: 10 1/8” x 7 1/8" x 5" Inside: 10" x 7" x 4 3/4”
    Side loading >> Outside: 11 1/16” x 2 1/2” x 13 1/16” Inside: 10 15/16” x 2 3/8” x 12 13/16”

B ships at 4 pound rate MAX weight is 20 pounds >> 2 Size box's
    Top Loading >> Outside: 12 1/4” x 10 1/2” x 5 1/2" Inside: 12" x 10 1/4” x 5"
    Side loading >> Outside: 14 1/2” x 3” x 16 1/4” Inside: 14 3/8” x 2 7/8” x 15 7/8”

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by JohnC4X4:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Good luck in your eBay selling venture. Just a quick tip when selling over the internet, people are picky as they come. Add a lot of pictures and describe any blemishes or defects. I may be interested in certain electrical items. Do you have mostly residential electrical items or industrial? The company I work for does only industrial applications. If you don't mind could you post a couple pictures of the stuff?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks, John. I'm just getting started, so it's a learning process. Good thing they make it as simple as they do. The "Buy it now" was the first one. I have no idea how it wound up that way -- wasn't what I wanted. The wife couldn't figure out how to change it, so I did the second one and got it as an auction. Still don't know what I did wrong the first time. Oh well -- live and learn.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    scrapping - probably considered electrical. I've got pictures of a couple more and will be taking more pictures soon. Actually, I need your (or somebody's) help with identification. I'll get a picture, but it's a conduit box, elongated, hinged with three threaded holes on one side, group of three threaded holes and two on each side of them on the other and threaded hole on each end.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    but it's a conduit box, elongated, hinged with three threaded holes on one side, group of three threaded holes and two on each side of them on the other and threaded hole on each end.
    Sounds to me like a distribution box.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    On your first item I would get a good photo of the information "plate". The photo you have shows it but not clearly enough to read the information off the item.

You will find that better photos make more sales. I am using something I found that is like white poster board to put my items on to photograph them with a background. The background helps with showing off the item, and lighting is improved.

I think you will find your learning curve will not be steep and success will come very soon. Best of luck, Mike.
    Last edited by miked; 10-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    i made a fortune selling circuit breakers online, strong demand for them, multi pole or high amps do very well
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Good thing they make it as simple as they do. The "Buy it now" was the first one. I have no idea how it wound up that way -- wasn't what I wanted.
    You listed as a fixed price
    Once listed, as you found out you can't change to auction format
    You can send to auction >> If you look at your eBay active sale summary page, That is one of the choices on the far right drop down menu under "ACTIONS"
    They will hit you with a listing fee again
    Best to let it run for the 7 days and swap to action near the end

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks, all. Here the conduit box I'm trying to figure out. Can't find it anywhere - ebay history or electrical sales sites...
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...aypics0022.jpg

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That is an interesting one, not something I've seen before. I would say John has a pretty good idea.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I started buying a couple months ago and now started selling. I've got a lot of electrical equipment from an auction. I'd bought it intending to scrap it but seems like it should do better than that. Anyway, I just put a couple of single items to get started. There is a lot of stuff - my truck was overloaded on the way home. If you have any interest in anything specific, send me a PM. No wiring - a scrap yard owner outbid me on all of it (probably a couple tons all together).

Crouse Hinds 1 1 2 inch Conduit Outlet Body w Cover | eBay
    Killark Gufs Union Swivel 1 inch Opening Aluminum 180 Deg Bend | eBay
    I'm an electrician by trade. The first item is called a condulet in general and for that item it would be specifically known as an LB condulet. The "box" is made by Crouse-Hinds and the cover is made by Appleton, so I'm pretty sure the cover won't fit the condulet. I could be wrong though since I don't have it in my hands to see if it does or not. They generally are not universal between different brands for the obvious reasons.

The second item is something I've never played with, so I have no clue.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks, billygoat. Since the "lid" is already screwed to the body, I just assumed it belonged there. But I tried tightening/loosening the screws and they are real tight like they don't fit well. If it DOES sell, I'll contact the seller and hope to come to some resolution. I'll try to change the listing so maybe I'll get it changed before it sells.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Thanks, billygoat. Since the "lid" is already screwed to the body, I just assumed it belonged there. But I tried tightening/loosening the screws and they are real tight like they don't fit well. If it DOES sell, I'll contact the seller and hope to come to some resolution. I'll try to change the listing so maybe I'll get it changed before it sells.
    You can go in and revise the listing, go over to the "more action" link to the right of your listing and in there is the revise button.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Trying this again. Link to Photobucket electrical file: Electrical Photos by mick124 | Photobucket

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm guessing this stuff came from an electrical contractor that did gas station work

The y looking fittings are called e y's. Required at gas stations since they are explosion proof. Good $ to the right buyer. Good luck. The 3 pole breakers also could be a score. Go on eBay and look up completed listings and type in your info. Get an idea of what sells and for how much.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Copperli for This Post:

20. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. potential ebay sell headache
      By GeorgeB in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 05-04-2013, 11:49 PM
    2. ebay for scrap and where to sell nickel
      By scrapadap in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Thread Information