Plasma / flatscreen question

| TV and Monitor Recycling
    Swampy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Plasma / flatscreen question

Hey, if I overlooked this topic in the archives (which is very possible), I apologize in advance for asking again but I did look. That said .... I tore down a big flatscreen last night (first one). Not a bad job as they come apart pretty quickly. Studying the guts to learn what's what with all the boards, etc. and having fun doing it.

Anyway, my question relates to what I assume is the (glass) screen and the metal frame/backing it is adhered to. Is there info about separating the glass from the metal? Is it glued on? If so, I'd say I'm done as far as trying to remove it as I don't imagine that can be separated without breaking the glass unless there are any methods to safely and prudently do so.

Any advice or direction to a thread, video, etc. would be appreciated. I did find a couple on youtube, but neither addressed this - which may answer my question. It just seems like a big piece of metal to let go.

Thanks in advance.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    Hey, if I overlooked this topic in the archives (which is very possible), I apologize in advance for asking again but I did look. That said .... I tore down a big flatscreen last night (first one). Not a bad job as they come apart pretty quickly. Studying the guts to learn what's what with all the boards, etc. and having fun doing it.

Anyway, my question relates to what I assume is the (glass) screen and the metal frame/backing it is adhered to. Is there info about separating the glass from the metal? Is it glued on? If so, I'd say I'm done as far as trying to remove it as I don't imagine that can be separated without breaking the glass unless there are any methods to safely and prudently do so.

Any advice or direction to a thread, video, etc. would be appreciated. I did find a couple on youtube, but neither addressed this - which may answer my question. It just seems like a big piece of metal to let go.

Thanks in advance.
    There really isn't an easy way to remove the glass. I personally would throw it with my dirty steel. It is glued on and you can separate it by pushing something like a pry bar or chisel between it and the metal little by little. It might take 10-15 mins.

You should always keep in mind that there was more value in just selling the TV and not breaking it down. You could list anything over 32" on CL for 20.00-75.00 (a lot more than scrap) and it would sell quickly with no time spent breaking it down. Many times the remotes sell well on Ebay.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Phantom, thanks for the info! This was the first one for me - all e-scrap is a new thing for me. I was really using this first one for educational purposes, but your advice is noted and getting $20+ a pop for one versus ....something far less than that....sounds good in my book. In your experience, the yards you deal with don't care about the glass issue? That would be great (it's heavy...) and if my yard is cool with it, that sounds good for this one.

I am fortunate that I have another one to pick up this weekend (55" plasma my friend said "died" on him), and the plan will be to do exactly what you suggested.

Thanks again for the input!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Also much has been written on the repair and resale of flat screen tv's on the forum. I suggest you look up the next one you get on youtube and see if the problem is covered and if you might want to tackle it. I have had a couple that aren't good enough to resell but I can use them myself so I am happy. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks Miked ... but to quote Clint Eastwood (as Dirty Harry): "a man's gotta know his limitations" .....

and repairing one of those things is well beyond my capabilities, though you are absolutely correct in the possible rewards of doing so. I wish I was more of a technical or mechanical mind, but was not so blessed. I can tear stuff part pretty well, though ..... it's the putting back together that always messes me up.... That said, as you point out there's no reason not to try it - and if I can't I can still pass it on as parts...

Thanks for the input.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Swampy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Thanks Miked ... but to quote Clint Eastwood (as Dirty Harry): "a man's gotta know his limitations" .....

and repairing one of those things is well beyond my capabilities, though you are absolutely correct in the possible rewards of doing so. I wish I was more of a technical or mechanical mind, but was not so blessed. I can tear stuff part pretty well, though ..... it's the putting back together that always messes me up.... That said, as you point out there's no reason not to try it - and if I can't I can still pass it on as parts...

Thanks for the input.
    Here is a good place to start increasing your knowledge of the problems of flatscreens.
    Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home Parts

here's where they discuss misc. problems;
    Badcaps Forums - Salvation For Your Hardware!

Google also helps quite a bit with blown caps.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Awesome - thank you! Man, that's a site with a LOT of info ....

Alright ... I'll have a go at it and we'll see what happens.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You might want to ask your local tv repair store about buying them. My local store gives me $20 for any flatscreen tv in decent shape, not rained on etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosierdaddy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There's one shop here, and it couldn't hurt to drop by and find out. A few a month at $20 would help out ...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There's one shop here, and it couldn't hurt to drop by and find out. A few a month at $20 would help out ...
    Keep in mind that 20.00 is really the LOW end. You mentioned picking up a 55". These are obviously more desirable for a few reasons.

1. They are newer.

2. The are bigger.

3. They resell better.

I'm sure I could get 75.00 on CL for a tv that big, especially if the screen is good.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Plasma Cutter
      By gustavus in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 10-15-2013, 01:23 AM
    2. Scrapping a Plasma TV
      By meh in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM
    3. How to make your own Plasma Cutter
      By PistoneScrapProcessing in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 2