Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

servers

| Computer Recycling
    weeeben started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

servers

What do people do with servers? sell them or scrap them?
    does removing the little hard drives inside the blades change the ball game?
    since they are little hard drives, you can't just put in any old one, would that lose much value?
    I'm thinking I should be trying to onsell to maximise the value as I can only hoard the scrapped things, no real selling outlet here for boards.

I have been getting servers with what turns out to be complete set ups, I was scrapping what I thought were modems,
    I guess they are kinda, but what they are actually called are thin clients, just a little box like a modem.
    unfortunately I have a habit of cutting cords & plugs first, now realising I should be keeping the cords intact to sell with the servers.

could servers be accumulated, like cars with the view of selling parts? do servers get restored or are they usually too out of date for any real use?
    are there specific brands of server that I should keep? ibm maybe?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    some of your questions are already answered, please do some reading.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    which hay stack do I try first?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to weeeben for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    All of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    aha, ok

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeeben View Post
    which hay stack do I try first?
    the one with the golden needle in it

start with the search feature. there are lots of threads that will answer ALL your questions

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    no not true, I did the server search, 2 pages with a little info but all vague and mostly talking about the same thing.
    the question is asked, one reply is vague, the rest of replies go on social walk about, by the 7th reply, you's talk about what you had for dinner instead of the topic.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeeben View Post
    no not true, I did the server search, 2 pages with a little info but all vague and mostly talking about the same thing.
    the question is asked, one reply is vague, the rest of replies go on social walk about, by the 7th reply, you's talk about what you had for dinner instead of the topic.
    soooo let me see here. you spent six minutes doing research before responding that it is not true. nobody here is going to do the work for ya! the info is there, try spending six hours reading, instead of six minutes. you will learn more by reading reading reading, that writing posts! THAT is a guarantee!!!

12. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by BroJer:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    no, your just assuming I asked the questions before I did the search.
    after one does a search it's only natural to ask the questions one still has unanswered no?
    well I didn't see an answer so that's why I asked.
    that's why I came here, becausae I couldn't find the answer in google.
    and I haven't learnt the answers in my scrapping experience, so where does one ask?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    To start with where are you?
    " no real selling outlet here for boards" If you are in the USA there are plenty of places to sell boards. Go to the top of the page you are reading right now and click on "scrap buyers and sellers"
    Chris

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm not quite sure what the point of signing up is if you can't actually ask a question.
    if all I wanted to do was read then i'd read, but I want your personal touch, kinda like i'm talking to an actual person feeling.
    maybe some of you have forgotten how to ask a question, perhaps given out too much advice?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Immulmen, no, first off, how the heck are you my friend?
    isn't that nicer?
    I'm australian, it's up to me to create the market it seems as nothing like what you have in the US exsists here, boards are low or high grade, nothing else, basic priice, like peanuts.
    my questions were basically to see if I should change the way I scrap servers, I understand that servers come in all shapes and sizes and I can search model numbers to get a feel
    of whether the server is of value on the secondary market or just for scrapping.

it's why I came here, to discuss it further then what I know, maybe I asked some newbie questions but the main reason was to get your feel of things on your side.
    through open discussion maybe something comes out that hasn't been mentioned before, so it's worth repeating things.
    I'm just going to have to work out how to word my questions so it doesn't sound too newbie and it appears that I have already searched extensively.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    An ebay search will tell you really quick if a server is good for resale. If they are more than 5 years old they are a tough sell.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Always easier to help when we have some info about you so thanks for that tidbit about being from Australia since it changes many things due to the logistics of your location. Usually folks take the time to intro themselves and give those particulars in that post and then remind us again in following threads if it is a factor that needs to be considered.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    someone deleted my intro post before I got a chance to extend on it, not much to say about myself really, just a scrapper with ambitions to see the same kind of e-waste trade here as the U.S.
    yeah I found some servers I have that seem to be unbelievably good for resale, I'm trying to understand server terminology as I was confused as to what the server was.
    the most common servers I get are called bladeservers by ibm, what is the real server, is it the main box where the blades slide into, or are the blades the servers and the box is a box?

now that I understand the whole thin client thing, I now know what i'm actually getting, and i'm a bit humbled by what i'm being given without realising what it is.
    typically it'll be the big box, about 10 blades, some singular and some are doubled up, what's with that?
    then comes say 20 - 30 sets of thin client modems, keyboards, mice & monitors. so it's like a complete set-up for an office, should I be looking to sell as an entire package or scrap the small bits and just sell the box with blades?
    I've seen my ibm boxes on ebay for $3000 each and 10 blades sell for $800 or so, that's without anything else, and no power cords, which are giant cords with giant plugs! I can't plug them in.
    so as you can imagine, the past few days of doing the research has blown me away, I have been scrapping these servers like a champion, but still have every board, I can't survive hoarding everything.

so things are going to change, I want to learn all the terminology for servers, how to read the specs and how to plug the things in to see if they actually work.
    the issue I have with the little hard drives is I am commited to data destruction, if the old data was retrievable, it could get me into trouble so it's something I need to consider.
    and then it comes down to a feeling of deception, I really don't think my clients expect me to be selling their stuff, I would hate for one to call me asking if the server on ebay that looks exactly like the one they gave me
    is their server?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Well I for one can tell you if when you say little drives you mean 2.5 inch SAS drives. I would love to buy them. Coould you send me a pic of one?

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    if the boards take quadcore or higher cpus it still has value, if its dualcore or lower its a tough sell, good luck
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hi, ok I can go out and take a picture of one, SAS rings a bell, just assumed the're small versions of hard drives so they can fit them in.
    they sit inside the blades, mostly 2 of 'em but some with 3 cuties in a row, i'm all excited now, it's nearly midnight but i'm still going out to take this picture.
    just need a few minutes to recharge some batteries.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hi, Jgh. what's a quad core, is that a board with 4 cpu's?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    It's hard to tell you what is good and what is not. There is just too much. Your best friend will be part numbers. Every company has different ones, and you will learn to identify them faster. IBM part numbers usually are preceded by FRU. Run those part numbers in ebay or google too see what you have and help determine if there is value.

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. untangle xd servers
      By GeorgeB in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
    2. first pallet of servers from the ad :)
      By EcoSafe in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
    3. Servers. Convince me.
      By CarolinaEwaste in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 12-13-2012, 04:47 AM
    4. ****update on servers what would you do*****
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM
    5. palet of servers