Depopulated boards?

| Computer Recycling
    jthetravelingguy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Depopulated boards?

Are depopulated boards considered low grade? I know they wouldnt be considered anything higher but i am wondering would the scrap yard even take them, i mean they do have copper, silver, lead and aluminum on them

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I assume" you are talking about low grade boards that you remove the ic chips, transformers, Al heat sinks, etc. If I assumed correctly, I am able to put them in the shred pile and get about $0.10/lb.

If you are talking about higher grade boards then that's an entirely different thing and the answer is you need to do a lot more reading. If you have higher grade boards then don't depopulate them until you have educated youself by reading a lot more. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Also really depends on how "depopulated" they are. If you are getting defective boards with nothing on them...then yeah..low grade. If they are green boards and you are just pulling heatsinks, and ic chips but there is a fair amount of other stuff on there...then probably still at least medium...all depends on your buyer. You really need to talk to them and ask questions along with the education stuff already mentioned.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My buyer only pays .05 # for low grade. So I usually depopulate them as much as I can and then they go as shred to another yard at .08#. If they are high grade boards I will take off anything that is in a socket, ram,fingercards,eprom,...etc. Depending on what you are doing you can take everything off them for later sale like pins or refining and then sell the boards as copper bearing or better if your yard is savvy on ewaste, but most are not. I know that some get sold on feebay and most that buy them are home refiners. You can also check with the buyers he to see what they would pay.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

jthetravelingguy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I process the materials on the boards for the precious metals as a hobby so I make the boards barren (no components). I have read through SMF and i understand what you are talking about, such as pulling ics off of low grade. What to do with these barren boards? Ill see if the local yards will take them as shred or low grade. Was just wondering if anyone else had experience with this.

6. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. What is the scrap value of a depopulated motherboard?
      By martyweil in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM
    2. Depopulated RAM
      By parrothead in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM
    3. Replies: 34
      Last Post: 08-13-2013, 06:32 AM

Thread Information