Recycling old computers today

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Ohioscrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Recycling old computers today

About 5 yrs ago I went to an auction for tools and they had this pile of old computers and no one would bid on them so they threw them in with something I was bidding on and won so I had to take them home. I stacked them up in the barn hoping to find someone to take them but no luck so finally I'm fed up with them being in the way so I found a place locally that pays 45 cents a pound for the complete computer. They will take monitors but don't pay for them. I have around 25 so hopefully I'll make a little change. I'll post this afternoon how it goes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Tear them down yourself

You will get quite a bit of copper and aluminum from the monitors. You are losing money if you give them the monitors no charge. Also as far as the towers go, there is copper and aluminum in there also not to mention the mother boards which can be sold by the pound.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You will get quite a bit of copper and aluminum from the monitors. You are losing money if you give them the monitors no charge. Also as far as the towers go, there is copper and aluminum in there also not to mention the mother boards which can be sold by the pound.
    Rich said it. As far as the monitors go, you don't have to pull those apart if you dont want to, but you should definitely pull out the RAM, the CPU, and the wire out of the computers! These things are valuable, and can be sold online for much more than 45¢ a pound.

The motherboards are selling for close to $2.50 per pound on ebay right now. Check out ebay here

Also for more info on electronics scrap check this out

Good Luck. Either way you will be making money from something you hadn't planned on buying!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I understand your point and if i had more time it would be a good exercise to see just how cost effective it is to piece them out. The downfall I see is the bulk of the weight will become worth 8 to 10 cents per lb on the computers and with the monitors I'll have to deal with getting rid of the crt's and plastic. I'm leaving for the recycler soon, I'll post when I get back.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    definitely pull the CPUs out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Can't do anything different now. I had 571 lb got a check for $257 I'm very pleased although I'll be wondering now if I should have stripped them out. If I would have pulled the cpu's the price per lb would have been lower so I'll just deposit my check and be happy.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    That's the best way - do what you do and don't look back. Maybe next time, things will be different. $257 is better than what you had when you got up this morning.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What did you buy these computers along with? Seems like you had a whole lot of them, did you pay much?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    They came from a John Deere dealership, the largest dealer bought out all the smaller ones in the area and closed down a few. I wasn't doing any scrapping at the time, probably missed some good buys. I bought an engine stand, injector pop off stand and some shelving. They threw the computers in with the engine stand. Most of them had a tag indicating they were for training purposes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well, the guy that paid you $257 didn't just do it to make you feel good. He is going to make some money on it or he wouldn't pay that much for it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMETALRECYCLERS View Post
    Well, the guy that paid you $257 didn't just do it to make you feel good. He is going to make some money on it or he wouldn't pay that much for it.
    +1 he paid you 257 but hes prob going to make triple that, but hey like you said they were no/or minimal investment, you got a nice check and were happy so thats all that matters!
    move on to the next one!
    *i have scrap metal running through my blood and i love it*

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Nickel Hi Temp Alloy Recycling - Nickel, Tungsten Metal Powder & Sludge Recycling
      By americanscrapmetal.com in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 12-13-2018, 02:37 AM
    2. Our recycling center dabbing in E-Recycling.
      By tjlock in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM
    3. Georgia - Computers, Phones and Other Electronic Waste Removal and Recycling
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
    4. Today turned out pretty nice... oh, and i got some computers
      By Filthy in forum Scrap Metal Videos
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Thread Information