E-scrap boards questions?

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    scrapping started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

E-scrap boards questions?

I'd like to start by saying this forum has given me much knowledge in the e-scrap world in a short period of time. The boards in question are not the typical computer, server, or telecom variety. I'm not allowed to upload pictures so I will do my best to describe them. About a foot across, 5" wide, green color board with chips in it. The edges have gold fingers on both sides.

They come from a customer of mine who I pick up typical scrap from. A machine shop of sorts. He gave me around ten of these boards last week. Going on about how back in the 80's how much he paid for this stuff. I say thanks, and go about my business. With my new found knowledge, I break them down take them to the yard, $0.50 a #. I thought that was on the low side considering the prices in the buyer section here. I realize this wasn't much, but would I be better off saving them, and going to one of the guys here? I noticed the one guy is in my neck of the woods, so I might try them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Is there a name or model number on them. It can be any number of type of boards. Could be backplanes. Do they have slots in them where something might plug into them?
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Oh wait I can upload photos. Here is a picture. They have the name Allen Bradley, as well as what looks to be a part number.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    you won't always get your best answer for pricing questions here anyway, it's best to send the photos to your buyer(s), and likely get a straight up answer there

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    you won't always get your best answer for pricing questions here anyway, it's best to send the photos to your buyer(s), and likely get a straight up answer there
    Alright, that actually makes sense. Wasn't sure if I could just pm a photo to a buyer, or not. Or if they'll answer me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    haha, you snuck that one in behind me, looks like machine shop equipment control boards, similar to printer/copier boards, but my guess would be they're richer boards than that. Dates mean a good bit in that game too, since 2001(or 02, somewhere in there) I've read (on the forum here) the gold quality in boards took a serious decline. Prior to that (my guess also) just about every year back would increase the gold/PM content(but I don't know if you'll ever get that answer elsewhere ; )
    Look on the chips around on the boards for a year number, maybe a copyright date or something. Most any date you find will put the whole board in that area datewise

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapping View Post
    Alright, that actually makes sense. Wasn't sure if I could just pm a photo to a buyer, or not. Or if they'll answer me.
    it's best to at least try, and hope to find what category they'll put them in "before" you ship

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    haha, you snuck that one in behind me, looks like machine shop equipment control boards, similar to printer/copier boards, but my guess would be they're richer boards than that. Dates mean a good bit in that game too, since 2001(or 02, somewhere in there) I've read (on the forum here) the gold quality in boards took a serious decline. Prior to that (my guess also) just about every year back would increase the gold/PM content(but I don't know if you'll ever get that answer elsewhere ; )
    Look on the chips around on the boards for a year number, maybe a copyright date or something. Most any date you find will put the whole board in that area datewise
    I didn't know they used less now n days. Kinda makes sense in the 80's early 90's gold price was low compared to now. I found a year on one of the boards i've yet to break down 5/13/86, but not on the actual board on the plastic housing. Thanks for the info bear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scrapping for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Those should go as telecom or fingerboards. Like Bear send a picture to a buyer and see what they class them as. As far as pricing based on year I never have seen a buyer do that. A finger card from 1990 and a card from 2009 are going to get priced the same. The weigh of each may be different though which would cause one to be worth more than another. The plating has gotten much thinner over time but it is still 24k plating.

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BRASSCATCHER:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRASSCATCHER View Post
    but it is still 24k plating.
    That's something I haven't seen before, or even considered. Just out of curiosity, have you seen actual test results for that posted?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dont want to hijack this thread, the short answer is yes I have seen these results. Think of it this way if you sent ewaste to be refined the refinery is going to pay you on gold price. Not 10k, 18k 22k that would be gold that has other metals mixed in. They pay based on the price of gold 24k pure. So any gold used in ewaste is going to be 24k.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I noticed the one guy is in my neck of the woods, so I might try them.
    There is 2 or 3 buyers pretty close together around Cleveland.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    There is 2 or 3 buyers pretty close together around Cleveland.

I only noticed ewasted. Would you mind letting me know who the others are?

19. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. More DirectTV boards an questions on value for them..
      By Sirscrapalot in forum E-Waste Grading and Identification
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
    2. A few questions about boards
      By demo117 in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM
    3. Very high grade boards...Soldered gold plated CPU's...questions
      By CanIScrapIt in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-08-2012, 07:36 PM
    4. Questions about computer boards