Printers

| Low-Grade Electronics Recycling
    junosama started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Printers

Was reading some old posts but wanted to get a fresh perspective on printers. I find them hard as hell to sell on craigslist do you all agree? What about scrapping? I know the ink can be turned in at staples for credit but what about the printer besides the cord? Would a yard take it as shred with all the other steel, etc. or is there not enough metal in one?

Also what about computer speakers and audio speakers. I had come into some old speakers and busted them open for the metal speaker part inside but should i just throw the entire speaker into the shred pile or is it better to remove the housing?

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Good question.. be willing to help yah here.. some printers are worth money.. check with HP, or canon buy back programs, they will give you credit towards a new one.. for some of the old one.. especially ink jet,, save the cartridge... pull the boards out of them, wires, motors, and seperate the plastic, and toss the rest into steel..

now laser printers are the same thing, look up to see if they are worth selling, check with companies for buyback, if they not on the buyback,, then break em down..

Take all the boards out of them, wires, seperate the plastic, motors, and the the toner cartridge and the drum, and the rest goes into the shredder.. steel pile that is,

What I do... I take laser and copiers in free of charge,,, as far as printer ink jet,, I charge for them,,, there not much to them,, but the labor I put into them, i got to get a little back.. so I charge four with a computer or five without a computer,,,

Hope that answer your quesiton and good luck.
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by pcscrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I love the "all-in-one" scanner/printers, and they seem to be a dime a dozen on the curbs. They have good boards in them. I pull what I want out of them, then (with the glass removed) slam them onto my concrete floor. BINGO, pull the plastic out, the rest goes in the shred pile. If any of the motors shake loose, then they go in my motor bucket.

I think I've mentioned it before, but in case I haven't: the rails that the printheads ride on make really good punches. I cut them in half, use them until they're bent up, then off to the shred pile.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfwerx for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcscrapper View Post
    Good question.. be willing to help yah here.. some printers are worth money.. check with HP, or canon buy back programs, they will give you credit towards a new one. for some of the old one.. especially ink jet,, save the cartridge... pull the boards out of them, wires, motors, and seperate the plastic, and toss the rest into steel..

now laser printers are the same thing, look up to see if they are worth selling, check with companies for buyback, if they not on the buyback,, then break em down..

Take all the boards out of them, wires, seperate the plastic, motors, and the the toner cartridge and the drum, and the rest goes into the shredder.. steel pile that is,

What I do... I take laser and copiers in free of charge,,, as far as printer ink jet,, I charge for them,,, there not much to them,, but the labor I put into them, i got to get a little back.. so I charge four with a computer or five without a computer,,,

Hope that answer your quesiton and good luck.

I guess I was not aware that the printer companies had buyback programs. I will have to look into this more. I know we have a computer store as well as scrapping, and all of our techs hate printers..LOL

We have an area in the back of our shop where we use gravity de-manufacturing or smash and grab. We actually have a couple tech friends that have stopped by our recycling shop to relieve some aggression on printers. Until recently we had about 2500 of them stacked up. We have burned through those in the last few weeks though.

The selling problem is not unusual. I reality, many times the household printer is cheaper to buy than the ink for it. We have had many come in that "work", but it was cheaper for the customer to buy a new printer at Walmart That to buy ink for the one they already have. The same is not true for higher end commercial printers.

As for throwing stuff in shred without breaking it down. That totally depends on what your yard expects. The guy I work with on shred would be cool with that, but we have a long working relationship and understanding about what overall percentage of steel to "fluff" he allows for. I am always well under the percentage so we never have any questions about that. Initially when I started doing business with the yard I told them what I was doing and we hashed all of that ahead of time. I have 2 dumpster, one for clean steel and one for shred. I also have a regular 6 yard trash dumpster for everything that does not have a home elsewhere.

For real, I don't think you would ever regret simply asking your yard what they expect, or at least trying understand what they expect. I know my guy was glad I asked, and was happy to tell me. Just remember they have work to do also. Try to ask these sorts of things when you know them to be not as busy. If you ask this sort of stuff during their peak hours you may find yourself feeling like you are getting the cold shoulder.
    Last edited by msearl3244; 07-17-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: color change on highlights
    There may a million better places to live than Iowa, but none of them are home!

7. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by msearl3244:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    gravity de-manufacturing - love it!
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm...... Churchill

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrapette:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    IMHO, it's better to remove the cases.

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Just to let you know.. My yard man is aware of the fluffy stuff that I bring in.. He allows 10% of total weight to be fluff..

So Yes forgot to include that in my statement. Do ask.. or be shunned.

Quote Originally Posted by msearl3244 View Post
    I guess I was not aware that the printer companies had buyback programs. I will have to look into this more. I know we have a computer store as well as scrapping, and all of our techs hate printers..LOL

We have an area in the back of our shop where we use gravity de-manufacturing or smash and grab. We actually have a couple tech friends that have stopped by our recycling shop to relieve some aggression on printers. Until recently we had about 2500 of them stacked up. We have burned through those in the last few weeks though.

The selling problem is not unusual. I reality, many times the household printer is cheaper to buy than the ink for it. We have had many come in that "work", but it was cheaper for the customer to buy a new printer at Walmart That to buy ink for the one they already have. The same is not true for higher end commercial printers.

As for throwing stuff in shred without breaking it down. That totally depends on what your yard expects. The guy I work with on shred would be cool with that, but we have a long working relationship and understanding about what overall percentage of steel to "fluff" he allows for. I am always well under the percentage so we never have any questions about that. Initially when I started doing business with the yard I told them what I was doing and we hashed all of that ahead of time. I have 2 dumpster, one for clean steel and one for shred. I also have a regular 6 yard trash dumpster for everything that does not have a home elsewhere.

For real, I don't think you would ever regret simply asking your yard what they expect, or at least trying understand what they expect. I know my guy was glad I asked, and was happy to tell me. Just remember they have work to do also. Try to ask these sorts of things when you know them to be not as busy. If you ask this sort of stuff during their peak hours you may find yourself feeling like you are getting the cold shoulder.

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Just got a bunch of Printers
      By Reelman65 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-29-2019, 10:23 PM
    2. What not to do - Printers
      By Recyclotrops in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 65
      Last Post: 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
    3. Big printers
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 1