Different colored finger boards

| Computer Recycling
    Mudlucky started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Different colored finger boards

Hi Folks,

I have searched, but apparently didn't use the right keywords. Please forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times....

I have about 10 pound of different colored (red, blue, yellow, black) gold finger boards. Are these classified (generally) differently than the green gold finger boards?

Thanks for you help!!

Ken

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    I don't recall seeing that one specifically addressed, but maybe it was in a buyers thread, not sure
    Good question though if you have a lot of them

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Last ones I sold all paid the same. Don't give them any ideas.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

4. The Following 8 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    fingers boards are wanted for one main things.. exactly what the title is Fingers... they want the gold .. off the bottom...

sound cards have just about zippo on it.. but they pay the same as video card.. why.. its in the name.. FINGER...

so yellow.. purple.. black.. orange lime green.. puke what ever color its the same value..

Hope that answer your quesiton.. and really.. lets not give us any reason to deduct.. the value.. of the card.. LOL
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pcscrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    At least for me, most of the finger boards I run across that are different colors are video cards. Most newer video card have a BGA on them which is high in gold content, especially compared to other components on finger cards.

Mudlucky started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help. But...you can forget I ever asked the question

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudlucky View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help. But...you can forget I ever asked the question
    No need to forget it seems to me to be a new question and was not something I had given any thought to but now I have an answer. Thanks, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

10. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Keep an eye put for ones that are made by Nvidia i believe is the name or any ones that have a fan one them over the BGA chip. Some have some real good resale value of $50+ and are higher end video and sound cards.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Always always check resale value of any computer hardware before scrapping...granted it has to work (solid state cards generally are not good for "parts" unleass REALLY HIGH END). You will make surprising amounts of money on even old hardware.

All cards these days as colored...it is an astetic thing....they should pay no difference like I said in a motherboatd thread...all enthusiast motherboard have high quality components and good gold tracings and should not get lowered in value...you have to spend some time to educate yourself on the product you are working in whete you wont get screwed.

And nvidia and ati cards are from low to high end...check model number where tou know...card could sell for $50-600 depending ....k owledge is power!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    nividia is always good. Couple others, I can't remember off the top of my head that are good to far as video cards.

Sirscrapalot - loves him some graphic cards.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudlucky View Post
    Hi Folks,

I have searched, but apparently didn't use the right keywords. Please forgive me if this has been asked 1000 times....

I have about 10 pound of different colored (red, blue, yellow, black) gold finger boards. Are these classified (generally) differently than the green gold finger boards?

Thanks for you help!!

Ken
    It depends on the buyer. A savvy buyer and perhaps a savvy refiner, will know what they are looking at and if large enough quantities might harass you a bit on them.

Most people are not going to look at your material and offer to pay you more for the ones they realize have more value, and specially not if they don't know. So it's up to you to sort your material, and set the prices you expect. If you are removing the gold fingers from the cards or boards they are connected to, and you are collecting large enough quantities, you can sort them and sell them for example on ebay, while also educating the buyers, and make more from each transaction than you normally would.

For example, red boards are generally Chinese, and use the most recent plating technology because as they were building their factories, they installed the newest technology. So they have the least amount of gold plating. Generally speaking, that's not to say that red PC boards don't originate from other areas of the world, but that for the most part they originate from China, and in most instances this is the case.

Your black boards were generally speaking used for special applications, such as proprietary computer systems or high end systems where they needed to clearing see the components on the board to see if anything spoiled, broke, leaked, etc. The black background enables the tech to quickly scan the board to discover these defects quickly. So they tend to have heavier gold plate and higher quality components than other colored boards, you should get a lot more for these types of finger boards.

Yellow, white, brown, transluscent fingerboards are old, and tend to have heavier gold plating. However, these are also the boards that contain PCBs and need to be handled differently because of all the especially toxic chemicals trapped in the boards themselves. Knowing this can help you lengthen your life expectancy if you are thinking about cutting these boards instead of breaking them. Google PCBs and you will understand what I mean.

Besides what I have stated, there are many other boards I have not. Sometimes it takes asking the end buyer or seller before you can properly understand the value of any given material. But that's after all what you are doing here. Good question by the way, I like seeing questions like this, it not only shows the OP is thinking about how to gain the most value out of their material, but it allows everyone to post and share information.

Scott
    At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

15. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by NobleMetalWorks:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Excellent points scott...like I said before...educate yourself on computer stuff a bit (even using google to check if high end or not). THEN separate those into the higher grade pile and be prepared to explain why you think they are that grade if going to a buyer or send email/put a note in the separated bag...it lets them know you have a clue and you guys can negotiate a proper price point or you can always shop around if you guys cant agree...remember its your business...negotiate like it is

17. The Following User Says Thank You to webuyselltradestuff for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleMetalWorks View Post
    Yellow, white, brown, transluscent fingerboards are old, and tend to have heavier gold plating. However, these are also the boards that contain PCBs and need to be handled differently because of all the especially toxic chemicals trapped in the boards themselves. Knowing this can help you lengthen your life expectancy if you are thinking about cutting these boards instead of breaking them. Google PCBs and you will understand what I mean.

Scott
    So you mean to say that these older boards can be dangerous if broken or cut? It seems kind of hard to believe that cutting into a board like that will result in noticeably more exposure to PCBs than just handling it. But I trust your wisdom, and you know much more about that kind of thing than I do. I'm definitely going to start watching how I handle them from now on.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    You can tell the older finger cards by looking at the size of the fingers, the older fingers are (typically) larger than the newer ones.
    Just like you can tell whether an elec motor is aluminum or copper by the size of the wires (an aluminum wound motor basically looks like a copper wound one with bloated wires)
    Last edited by Bear; 07-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.

20. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Silver colored fingers on medical circuit boards
      By newattitude in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
    2. Finger Boards
      By wtwolf13 in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Thread Information