Electronic Waste laws starting for 2011.

| General - Let's talk business
    tjlock started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Electronic Waste laws starting for 2011.

Ok, so I don't know how many of you this law effects at this time. I know Illinois falls into this law and it is now illegal to curbside any electronics for garbage collections. My concern is that I don't mind tearing down VCR's and DVD players, Printers and CPU towers and taking care of the parts in them. The only thing I don't have an outlet for in those is the plastic. I have been searching for plastic recyclers that will deal with small loads of post industrial plastic but no luck on that so far.

As far as tv's and computer monitors, I don't have an outlet for the glass or plastic. Most of the other components are easy enough to sort and get them to where they need to go. If you pull the boards out of them, can they then be considered solid waste items now or with the leaded glass, would that be another concern? I have been researching this, trying to find some sort of answer. So far, I haven't heard of our town setting up a collection site for ewaste materials yet. I definitely don't want to have to pay for disposal on the left overs and would rather get them to where they need to go. Not sure if the collection centers for electronics would take them beings they are gutted before they ever show up. I am still researching trying to find out answers. Who would I maybe talk to about how this would affect anything within? Some sort of representative from the city?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    You should call that collection center and see if they would take your leftovers. If they recycle the stuff, chances are they make good money on the plastic at least. If they won't take them, at least they might be able to point you in the right direction.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah, hopefully they will take them. I have to find out when and where they will set up if our community does get one. I stopped at city hall but they were closed today. I guess the first work day after the first of the year is a holiday to them. I talked to an officer, but he didn't seem to know much on the law or collections. He seemed baffled at first, but then recalled something on it. I will have to try and make it up there again. Probably won't be until Friday cause work is heavy and doubt I get up there before they close.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a local scrap yard here that pays 3 cents a pound for plastic, It's not much much, but it's something.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would like that if our yard paid for plastic. Even 3 cents a pound is worth it. Imagine if I filled up the back of the pick up, then I would at least cover some gas to get the desired metal.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah, I know our yard doesn't pay for plastic, but I heard that a neighboring town buys plastic but I am yet to find out the name of the place. Somebody I work with was gonna get me the number, but I am still waiting.

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 39
      Last Post: 07-17-2016, 07:21 PM
    2. Virginia - Scrap metal removal,electronic E-waste recycling,commercial fixtures, cars and parts
      By slaghunter in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
    3. Georgia - Computers, Phones and Other Electronic Waste Removal and Recycling
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
    4. E-waste laws by state
      By ScrapperNJ26 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
    5. Warsaw, IN Prices 07/29/2011
      By snodly in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Thread Information