Finally a decent hit from craigs list

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    grouchyolddude started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Finally a decent hit from craigs list

Been running an ad for about 6 months now. Most responses have been from individuals with only an item or two, crts or someone wanting to sell me printers for $10 ea. But today I got this one. I called 'n chatted, says he wanted to get into "what I do" a few years ago, but lost his buyer..?? Said he had gotten about 90 pc from a school that was upgrading and had tore them down and sold the steel to the yard.
    I'm going to take a look at the pile today. Assuming everything is in tact, i.e. mb complete, nothing removed/damaged, etc. What would you offer him?
    I have a number in my head, but was interested in others thoughts, opinions. I want to be fair, and give him enough to keep his interest in calling me with more.
    thanks...

Hi there,

I have a bunch of the electronics from computers. Its everything that was inside the cases, motherboards, harddrives, power sources, cd drives. There is at least 50 of each. Plus some other dead electronics that I need to get rid of. I will be moving soon like within the next few days.

Plus if you take this stuff all the time I can keep you supplied. I clean out houses and need to find a place to take this stuff since the landfills don't take them

"Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know WHY I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and all of those roads weren't paved"-Will Rogers

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    several variables, but you are probably in the $2 range for mb with cpu/memory $2.50 maybe $3 if hdd and powersupply included
    I assume they are Chinese motherboards.
    You can easily over pay, but on the flipside most of the labor is done.
    Just sort, box and ship.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have gotten 2 contacts who did basically the same thing. What I did was take my Price that i would get for each component, minus shipping, and pay them 50%. For instance, at the time gold ram was at $15 so i subtracted $0.50 for shipping and then took an additional 50% off that making it $7.25 per pound. I did this with everything and printed the price list and gave it to them, I then weighed everything separately and paid them. They were both very happy to get what i paid. Doubled my money just for driving over. Now, i only did it this way because they both had interest in continuing to acquire material, they just needed a buyer to clear out space so that they could get more. If it was a one time thing i think my prices would have been less. They have both called me back to pick up more components. I probably could have paid much less than i did, but if it was less profitable for them i dont think they would have continued breaking pc's down. To me it's easy money. I don't have to tear anything down, they sort it the way i want them to, and i double my money in about 8 to 10 days.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    $7.25 per pound
    Holey crap. With prices dropping it sounds like your cutting your margin mighty thin.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Holey crap. With prices dropping it sounds like your cutting your margin mighty thin.
    That example was over a month ago. I explained to them both that prices fluctuate. With these guys I don't mind paying them 50%, they live close and all I have to do is put their stuff in a box and ship it. Doubling my money very easily and quickly. I also wanted them to come to me first, i couldnt have them searhcing the net and finding a buyer on here! Then i would have made nothin g.

6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by 41haikuwarriors:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well it wasn't quite as big o lot as he said. I counted the MB and there were 35. A 30 gallon trash can of power supplie, a 30 gallon of HDs and cd/dvd players, a small box of ram, a dozen or so finger cards, etc.32 small socket intel processers, 5 slot processers, and 1 gold top WinChip, 1 NIB 500 watt power supply, an arm load of ribbon wire, a few other various items. He asked if I could go $80. I didn't hesitate
    Last edited by grouchyolddude; 06-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grouchyolddude View Post
    well it wasn't quite as big o lot as he said. I counted the MB and there were 35. A 30 gallon trash can of power supplie, a 30 gallon of HDs and cd/dvd players, a small box of ram, a dozen or so finger cards, etc.32 small socket intel processers, 5 slot processers, and 1 gold top WinChip, 1 NIB 500 watt power supply, an arm load of ribbon wire, a few other various items. He asked if I could go $80. I didn't hesitate

Nice!!! I love it when they low ball themselves before you can even make an offer. You should make out pretty well on that one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 41haikuwarriors for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    with gold where its at i would pay $4 per pc, $5 if they are green boards with 4 sticks of ram
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    digging through the totes sorting and found a few minor bonuses.. a cordless screw gun, 2 pair of cutters, a pair of needlnose, another dozen mobo's, few more processors n finger cards,and pro'lly the coolest thing, 5 bigfoot 5.25 inch hd's.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Best Craigs list find yet
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
    2. nice little hit off craigs list
      By EcoSafe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-24-2011, 09:11 AM
    3. Got my first account thanks to Craigs List.
      By scottie33 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM
    4. more craigs list idiots.
      By EcoSafe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-17-2011, 07:00 AM
    5. finally gettin some action from Craigs list
      By EcoSafe in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Thread Information