hard drive ?

| Computer Recycling
    roboutlaw started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Question hard drive ?

I had a company call me today and want to know if i would be interested in hard dirves and what would i pay for them after talking to the caller i found out that all of these drives are destroyed or broken in half to destroy all the information on them I asked him about the boards on the back of them and he told me they get broken in the process to, my question is is there value there even though the drives are broken? Of course i know about the aluminum and the stanless will still have value but what about the board I have to go see him in the next few days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roboutlaw for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    .02 lb, my .02 ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    From my understanding, it doesn't matter if the boards are broken or not, as they are being bought by the pound for metal content. You may want to double check with one of the buyers on the forum to be sure. Good luck...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondN for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It depends on the amount of breakage, and if they've maybe been shredded. From what I can recall of looking at prices, shredded is about the lowest possible all around price. If they've only been broken in half, as if you could actually break one in half(cut it in half maybe, but break??), I don't really think so, maybe "twist" it somewhat, but wow, i'd hate to try and dismantle it from there.
    Looking forward to what you find there ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I am going to try to get a sample tomorrow to take to my buyer on wed i will keep you posted.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to roboutlaw for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    It depends on the amount of breakage, and if they've maybe been shredded. From what I can recall of looking at prices, shredded is about the lowest possible all around price. If they've only been broken in half, as if you could actually break one in half(cut it in half maybe, but break??), I don't really think so, maybe "twist" it somewhat, but wow, i'd hate to try and dismantle it from there.
    Looking forward to what you find there ; )
    Sounds like someone used a log splitter like was talked about on here. If it could be broken, I guess that would do it.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Sounds like they have a mess on their hands and have been looking for someone to pay them instead of them paying to get rid of it. Interested to see what you discover they have...good luck.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Broken boards are worth the same amount as whole...might be hard to convince a buyer if it wad shredded however....then you have all the parts shredded at once and get alot of aluminum, steel ect in the mix which is not pulled the same way gold ect is off those boards. Talk with your buyer on difference in pricing. If split in 1/2 or drilled then it wont matter.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I went and looked at the hard drives today and to my suprise they are not split in half they are just bent until the aluminum and discs have bent and broke, the boards are mostly intack some are cracked but mostly bent. They use a hand jack to bend and brake the drives. We did work a deal on them and i beleave they will be dissembled without much trouble.

14. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by roboutlaw:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    They use a hand jack to bend and brake the drives. We did work a deal on them and i believe they will be dissembled without much trouble.
    Won't be as easy as a straight HD. I'd only go 1/4 or 1/3 of what the going rate is for HD's from a ewaste buyer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think if there was a purchase price involved, I'd go less than that, Mech, maybe even revert to my earliest post. They'll be near impossible to dismantle/separate into clean piles. From where they're at, a shredder will be the next best option for them, possibly the only one. Maybe a 1/4 or 1/3 of shredded, if you've got a shredder ; )
    There's still the boards though, so that's something else to consider
    I don't think I'd even consider trying to separate the other components at this point

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    $.25 a lb picked up at their location at their convenience, is what I would pay. since the wiped resale market is out then you have a pile of dirty cast alum that you can sell for $.32 a lb or so but roughly 20% more than you paid for it. which will account for the weight lost by removing the boards. the profit is in the boards and stripping them from the carcass, I wouldn't mess with the rest as it's pennies on the dollar, and not even copper ones, just zinc's.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to badkarma506 for This Post:

20. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Hard Drive Value
      By rmiller943 in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
    2. Hard Drive Arm
      By bpatnoe in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM
    3. Hard Drive Erase Software. Requirements For Selling Hard Drives
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling