Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Burly Thread: Charging for your services

| General - Let's talk business
    BurlyGuys started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts

The Burly Thread: Charging for your services

You know, we have had a number of conversations on here since I've joined about whether to charge for our services. The way i figure it, there are several demographics on here.

Some of us are individuals working alone. Others, such as myself, have employees and multiple vehicles and a facility of some type.

Of the business owners, there are two types. (Maybe more, but this is what occurs to me.). There are those who are on the truck, and there are those who generally are not. I fall into the latter category.

In my business, I have every intention of growing it into something much larger. As such, I feel that the division of labor is such that my employees responsibility is to DO the jobs, and it is my responsibility to make sure they HAVE jobs to do. Therefore, when I send a crew to do a job, there are expenses that MUST be covered.

Fuel and insurance and maintenance on the trucks, wages and insurance on the employees are the direct expenses. The indirect expenses are a facility to work from, a marketing budget, an admin to keep things in order, and the list goes on.

The down and dirty of it is if I send guys to do a job, they have to generate $100 of revenue per hour. GASP! You are SHOCKED! How can Burly in good conscience charge that much?

Simple mathematics. I pay two guys to be on the truck. Lets say for the sake of simple math I pay them each $10 hourly. Lets add in FICA, FUTA, workers comp insurance and all the other alphabet soups that add to our costs. Again for the sake of simple math, lets say the additional cost is 30%. That means when I send a truck out it is costing me $26.00 hourly for wages alone. Now add in fuel insurance and maintenance on the trucks. I don't have good numbers on those, althought Liberty and Cory probably do, and I'm in many ways not a good businessman for NOT knowing what those numbers are. For the sake of argument lets say those numbers are $20 hourly. That's probably on the low side.

Now while I do my share of scrapping, and selling items we acquire, much of what I remove has to be disposed of, and there is a cost associated with that. Now we're already ay $46.00 per hour without disposal costs, which for most of you is usually not a factor.

Incidentally, admin, it occurs to me that this thread should probably be a sticky, it's going to generate some discussion on this topic! Any business worth it's salt generally tries to double its investment. So as you can see by what I have written, I am probably NOT CHARGING ENOUGH!

Yes, you are generating revenue by selling your scrap, and any items selling for more than scrap value. But are you generating enough?

I contend that even if you are a one man/woman with a pickup truck operating out of your garage, you need to be charging the SAME RATES or BETTER! If you are doing services for free, you are losing money!

The floor is now open for discussion...
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlyGuys View Post
    Some of us are individuals working alone.
    Maybe you could do a poll, but I'm thinking you lended merely 7 words in your analysis to cover what I'm also thinking is the majority of people on the forum, and in the field. Also, of the many levels you extended towards being a full time, employee based business, there are at least as many differing levels of simply being a recycler. Not everybody does it to make a mint, or even to become a business. There are many who do it more towards being environmentally friendly, and although we appreciate it covering its own costs, would likely be doing it anyway ; )
    Or maybe I'm in the minority here, haha : )
    Last edited by Bear; 06-10-2013 at 12:52 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts
    You hit it right on the head Burly,I like you don,t go out on the trucks any more,the wheel has manny spokes and the wheel goes around when every body does there job.The mistake manny scrapers make is they do not consider them self a skilled trade,s man.In the end we are service providers,We provide a service and when labor is involved you have to be compensated for your man hours and expenses,I can not afford to work for free nor should we be expected to.We charge a fair price and do a good job,this is not a hobby for me,when Friday comes every body needs there pay and it is always there for them.I guess what I am trying to tell the newbies is knowledge is a wonderful thing to waste don,t under estimate its value,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1956 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    My 85 year old father in law has 8 palm trees on his property, no one will cut them for free! But the range to cut them is $35.00 each to $15.00 each! So a range of $280.00 - $120.00. He waits and gets his price! Just don't out price your bids / offers!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hobo finds for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I understand where your coming from Burly...maybe even more so. Four hourly crews framing and trimming houses plus another 2-3 sub crews trimming houses that I couldn't get too. Did all my own books and payroll and kept materials and nails flowing so there was little down time as possible. When things started slowing down after 9/11 I quit replacing guys if they quit or were fired till there were two carpenters left then I set them up in their own business and worked solo for about 5-6 years doing basements, baths and kitchens. Lot of stress involved covering the bills for your own family and then when you take on a boatload of other families you have to make dam sure the money's flowing in and payroll is seamless for you and all your employees.

Your kind of comparing apples to oranges here because like you said, you are needing to dispose of other peoples junk some of which has no value and you have to pay to dispose of it. When I arrange for a pick up it is all metal and has at least scrap value, there are limits to how far I will drive for it depending on the quantity. And sometimes I, like others will even pay to play...most businesses do pay for inventory don't they??

Bottom line...you have to know what the value of the "Lot" is, you have to know your operating costs and you have to know what you are happy making. Now I don't often disclose what I make but I assure you I have been used to making good money most of my adult life I prefer good beef for dinner.

My customers are happy not paying, they about sh!t themselves when I offer to pay. No more brain damage from having employees, and breaking stuff and getting paid is all the therapy I need.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

9. The Following 9 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice post Burly and pretty to the point most people don't understand the cost of doing business... let me add one thing to it...Once you have every penny accounted for and now your total cost of operation add 15% more this helps cover the unforeseen dribble of money every business looses but few realize.. Things like a driver doing 45 mph in a 55 zone wasting time(Time=money) or those stops they make to grab a drink more time or getting lost on the way to job (Time+extra fuel = more money lost ) I could go on with a 100 more things that leach off the bottom line...My point is when you finally pinpoint your absolute cost of operation just add a bumper and price off of that... you'll notice a increase in your profit....

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by PAScrapPappy:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    first I want to say good post burly and you kinda put me on the spot so ill try to answer

I keep insurance on two trucks full coverage 130 a month
    diesel fuel 350 a week or 1400 a month
    I don't service often enough but about twice a year per truck at about $100 for all filters and oil
    im not sure what it breaks down to the mile to expense ratio
    this doesn't include the bearing replaced last week or rotors and brake pads on occasion, im lucky and have a tire machine, it has kept me from being in the red more times than I can count.

we are in two different kinds of business over all, I do few clean ups and you do many and the opposite on cars. we have to substain a volume of cars to make ends meet and I get the occasional car I can flip(check out the new album feature) that sometimes makes my week or even month. I never pay over scrap price even on the best cars I get but I make it a point to pay more than my competition, off topic but if I get a call for a car I cant get that's too nice I forward them to a car dealer I would have sold it to anyway and get a finders fee.

im still the guy on the truck and who knows where im headed, I make probably 75% of the decisions and dustin and steve make the rest and most of our decisions are made on the fly based on phone calls

burly I agree wholeheartedly on one point you make, I have learned when its time to get dirty if possible I let dustin do it
    expect the worst and hope for the best
    cory couch
    c & c recycling
    JUNKERS AND CLUNKERS
    (870) 897-6484

13. The Following 8 Users say Thank You for This Post by corycouch:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I will stress "I got this for free"...is thrown around way too much...At a minimum you got "it" for the cost of your Overhead. The lower your Overhead the more competitive you can be with your competition.

15. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    There are many who do it more towards being environmentally friendly, and although we appreciate it covering its own costs, would likely be doing it anyway ; )
    Or maybe I'm in the minority here, haha : )
    Bear, do you really think anyone does this just to be environmentally friendly? I think most do this so they can eat.

17. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
    when Friday comes every body needs there pay and it is always there for them.I guess what I am trying to tell the newbies is knowledge is a wonderful thing to waste don,t under estimate its value,
    I get a kick out of people telling me I charge too much, then out the other side of their mouths they want to know why I don't pay my employees more...

19. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    My 85 year old father in law has 8 palm trees on his property, no one will cut them for free! But the range to cut them is $35.00 each to $15.00 each! So a range of $280.00 - $120.00. He waits and gets his price! Just don't out price your bids / offers!!!!
    Yeah, I wouldn't get that job. There's not a tree in the world I would cut down for 35 bucks.

Of course, hobo, let us not forget you live in Arizona, the state with the lowest average hourly pay rate in the US. What percentage of the laborers are illegals, 90%?
    Last edited by BurlyGuys; 06-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PAScrapPappy View Post
    Nice post Burly and pretty to the point most people don't understand the cost of doing business... let me add one thing to it...Once you have every penny accounted for and now your total cost of operation add 15% more this helps cover the unforeseen dribble of money every business looses but few realize.. Things like a driver doing 45 mph in a 55 zone wasting time(Time=money) or those stops they make to grab a drink more time or getting lost on the way to job (Time+extra fuel = more money lost ) I could go on with a 100 more things that leach off the bottom line...My point is when you finally pinpoint your absolute cost of operation just add a bumper and price off of that... you'll notice a increase in your profit....
    And with all that being said, you still have to come in with a price the customer is willing to pay.

22. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I get a kick out of people telling me I charge too much, then out the other side of their mouths they want to know why I don't pay my employees more...
    Getting beat up over $500 on some folks $600,000 Dream Home was always a hoot...at some point you have to bring them back to earth by saying, "I know you folks are barely getting by, but..."

24. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Those are the BEST, aren't they? ;-)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah my dad is self employed. He installs carpet, and most of the time during the summers I help him out, sometimes we have to rip out the old carpet, if we would do that for free we'd be losing alot of money cause we got to clean everything up and waste time, if its a small bedroom, he'd only get a 150 bucks. If theres rip out, and its not charged he's losing money. Cause we rip it out, haul it away, and have to handle it a second time to load it in the dumpster at the carpet store. So when I first started, anytime I get someone wanting me to tear something down, I always say it will cost you, and most of the time they turn their heads on that.

27. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Kochy:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't get that job. There's not a tree in the world I would cut down for 35 bucks.

Of course, hobo, let us not forget you live in Arizona, the state with the lowest average hourly pay rate in the US. What percentage of the laborers are illegals, 90%?
    Not cut down, climb up 30 - 35 feet and cut off the dead palms! And yea the lowest bids don't speak that much english! LOL

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hobo finds for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    Not cut down, climb up 30 - 35 feet and cut off the dead palms! And yea the lowest bids don't speak that much english! LOL
    WTF! Really?!?!?

The lowest bids can have all of THAT work that they want!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BurlyGuys for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Bear, do you really think anyone does this just to be environmentally friendly? I think most do this so they can eat.

To say most do it so they can eat is lacing it up quite a bit. Sadly enough Burly, far too few give a care about the environment. Although I know for sure some do it to eat, I believe you'll find a much larger number seeking to locate the gold bar inside a computer, and as speedily as possible. Although there are all combinations in between, you'll no doubt find that chart to be extremely top heavy ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    I wish I could charge people to clean up their scrap but in this neck of the woods "free" scrap is in short supply so if you want to scrap you better be willing to buy!
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

34. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by taterjuice:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I contend that even if you are a one man/woman with a pickup truck operating out of your garage, you need to be charging the SAME RATES or BETTER! If you are doing services for free, you are losing money!

The floor is now open for discussion...
    depends on the area .... too many scrappers here to charge a fee to pick up scrap

36. The Following User Says Thank You to scrapGAME for This Post:

37. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. As Burly said
      By Trot in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-16-2013, 02:05 PM
    2. thanks burly
      By corycouch in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
    3. Refrigerators and charging to haul them away
      By BurlyGuys in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
    4. Burly has discovered how to ignore a member. Burly is happy!
      By BurlyGuys in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
    5. charging for or accepting for free?
      By Hurrikane in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information