Hard Drives scrap or ebay?

| Computer Recycling
    GeorgeB started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Hard Drives scrap or ebay?

Yes, I have asked this in the past, but I am asking it again for a few reasons.

When I first starting reselling hard drives on ebay, I did rather well. Would sell between $20 to $45. Depending on manufacturer and size, and whether IDE or SATA.

However, in the blink of an eye, I have amassed over 100 hard drives (or very close to it!) Desktop and Laptop both! Everything from 20gb to 350gb!

I am trying to decide on the best course of action...which so far, I have down to these options:

1. Sell individually (the higher ones from 80gb and up). scrap the rest.
    2. sell individually (the higher ones from 80gb and up). Group the rest and sell into lots.
    3. Sell them all into certain size lots.
    4. scrap them all

I am looking to maximize my time and effort really. If I scrap them all or any of them, I can do probably 10 or more every evening in my spare time for a couple of weeks and be done.

If I did resell them, I would of course only do the ones that work...the ones that didnt I would scrap.

I have been doing well on selling ram (about to sell all smaller ram in a good lot on ebay, after I process the stuff I got from today's recycling event), PCI cards, a few heat sinks with fans, and 1 or more motherboards.

George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    it depends on if you have the time to test them . I sell some but scrap others .I scrap all ide drives but tst and sell most sata drives

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robsrecycling View Post
    it depends on if you have the time to test them . I sell some but scrap others .I scrap all ide drives but tst and sell most sata drives
    Yeah, Sata test real good, and are generally good for re sale value depending on manufacturer and size.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Option #5...sell to PTS.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

5. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KzScrapper View Post
    Option #5...sell to PTS.
    I like that option best of all

7. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by PartTimeScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    1 piece of advice tho if you are testing sata drives .you might want to buy a usb sata docking station .makes life much easier to test them

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by robsrecycling:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robsrecycling View Post
    1 piece of advice tho if you are testing sata drives .you might want to buy a usb sata docking station .makes life much easier to test them
    If your wiping the drives you might want to buy a Esata docking station so it doesnt take 3 days to wipe a 1tb drive My 4 bay docking station just did 160gb drive in 3.5 hours for a full 3 pass DOD wipe.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by PartTimeScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I do all of the above.......Depending on the time I have Etc.....I re-sell on ebay and CL the biggest Sata drives or use them in systems for re-sell.........A few go on Ebay....Some to scrap and the rest to PTS.......

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    sell the 500gb and larger ones on ebay same deal with 2gb and smaller. I give out alot of the 100-400gb to family/friends. And scrap the rest.
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Yes, I have asked this in the past, but I am asking it again for a few reasons.

When I first starting reselling hard drives on ebay, I did rather well. Would sell between $20 to $45. Depending on manufacturer and size, and whether IDE or SATA.

However, in the blink of an eye, I have amassed over 100 hard drives (or very close to it!) Desktop and Laptop both! Everything from 20gb to 350gb!

I am trying to decide on the best course of action...which so far, I have down to these options:

1. Sell individually (the higher ones from 80gb and up). scrap the rest.
    2. sell individually (the higher ones from 80gb and up). Group the rest and sell into lots.
    3. Sell them all into certain size lots.
    4. scrap them all

I am looking to maximize my time and effort really. If I scrap them all or any of them, I can do probably 10 or more every evening in my spare time for a couple of weeks and be done.

If I did resell them, I would of course only do the ones that work...the ones that didnt I would scrap.

I have been doing well on selling ram (about to sell all smaller ram in a good lot on ebay, after I process the stuff I got from today's recycling event), PCI cards, a few heat sinks with fans, and 1 or more motherboards.
    We no longer sell any hard drives (however we do keep a few for our own use). With HIPPA fines running $250,000 per occurrence for leaked medical info and the time to scrub vs low sales dollars, it doesn't cost justify. We degauss them, remove the board (sell to e-wasted) and sell drive as irony aluminum scrap. When selling on ebay, always check the "sold" listing for actual selling prices and volume. Never base your decision on current listings. If there are a lot of current listings and nothing in sold items, find something else because if it hasn't sold any in 90 days, it isn't worth your time. For us, hard drives fall in this category. We would rather spend our time looking for higher dollar stuff to sell that doesn't carry the liability risk. Look for the odd or unusual stuff.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRecycleBin View Post
    We no longer sell any hard drives (however we do keep a few for our own use). With HIPPA fines running $250,000 per occurrence for leaked medical info and the time to scrub vs low sales dollars, it doesn't cost justify. We degauss them, remove the board (sell to e-wasted) and sell drive as irony aluminum scrap. When selling on ebay, always check the "sold" listing for actual selling prices and volume. Never base your decision on current listings. If there are a lot of current listings and nothing in sold items, find something else because if it hasn't sold any in 90 days, it isn't worth your time. For us, hard drives fall in this category. We would rather spend our time looking for higher dollar stuff to sell that doesn't carry the liability risk. Look for the odd or unusual stuff.
    I have sold probably 30 hard drives all together. Never had an issue YET, but there is always that possibility. And like you said, with fines at $250,000 and worse depending on what happens, not worth it.

Yeah, when I sell anything on ebay, I always go to complete/sold listings and see what the current rates might be.

I think I might just break them down from now on. I dont worry to much over the wiping of drives, and I have to do that anyway for my IT company clients.

Either that, or I will sell in small to medium lots. I know computer shops buy those all the time.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would not want to sell used hard drives because they will alwways have information even if you wipe them. This could seriously ruin someones life. If their drive falls into the wrong hands they could have their identity stolen. I know most people who sell them probably don't care but I actually have a conscioness.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    I don't even break them down. I sell them whole to my local buyer.
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just scrapped out a Dish box that turned out to be a DVR system. Should have investigated a little before taking the wire cutters to it. In any event, I salvaged a 2TB Seagate drive out of it. I guess I'm about to do some searching on testing disks so I can list this puppy. Shows to be a pretty high dollar item: 9uy166-293 | eBay

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a repair tech that I deal with weekly he was the first guy that sold me e scrap. He asked about hard drives so I agreed to give him every one that I get this arrangement has paid off ten fold. I never pay him for anything and get any bad drives back. I break down hard drives 100% that I get back .

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I break most of mine down, but I don't get a lot of the big fancy ones ( 500gb +, 2tb+, etc). I've got a few to send to PTS just cause I know he enjoys the heck out of them.

Now if like telecomguy I had a 2tb or higher, I'd sell that sucker on ebay, craigslist, etc all day long. An yes..DVR boxes contain Hard drives..anywhere from 40gb on up to 2tb ( Basing the high end off what TCG said he found in his.) I've gotten a couple 40 and 80s from DVR boxes. I love getting those boxes, a pain in the ass to get into, but finding that HD is always like getting a cool prize from a box of Cracker Jacks..lol.

Sirscrapalot - I'm not in my right frame of mind right now, please leave a message and soon as sanity returns, we'll get right back to you!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapping4ever View Post
    I would not want to sell used hard drives because they will alwways have information even if you wipe them. This could seriously ruin someones life. If their drive falls into the wrong hands they could have their identity stolen. I know most people who sell them probably don't care but I actually have a conscioness.
    If you use one of the better programs that we have talked about then you get the same as a DOD wipe and they say nothing gets past that.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapping4ever View Post
    I have a conscience, but I trust the programs that I utilize, and that is why you carry General Liability insurance as well.

25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Hard Drive Erase Software. Requirements For Selling Hard Drives
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 37
      Last Post: 08-23-2013, 03:30 AM
    2. My first try at Ebay. Old unused SATA Desk Top Hard Drives
      By Catfish Bob in forum Ebay Traders
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
    3. Hard Drives on Ebay
      By GeorgeB in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
    4. does breaking the hard drives affect the scrap value?
      By DropYoTop in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM
    5. Scrapping Hard Drives/cd/dvd drives?
      By dustmuffin in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Thread Information