Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

find the faults in my plan

| Vehicle Recycling
    beardo started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

find the faults in my plan

The plan I currently have is as follows: Purchase scrap vehicles for a price that allows for costs to be covered and a reasonable profit if vehicle is taken strait to the yard after preping. If time allows, remove high value cores for national core buyer, remove other high value scrap, CPU, radiator, aluminum wheels ext.
    While storage is not an issue for scrap and cores I am trying to come up with a system that the vehicles don't come off of a trailer. Trailers and transportation are not a concern, I have access to heavy equipment trailers and semi trucks. I scrap part time and I am told by my boss/wife I am not allowed to turn my farm into a junk car lot.

"And if your train's on time, You can get to work by nine, and start your slaving job to get your pay. If you ever get annoyed, Look at me I'm self-employed
    I love to work at nothing all day" -BTO

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    First fault: You told the boss about your plan.

3. The Following 11 Users say Thank You for This Post by ryanw:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
    First fault: You told the boss about your plan.
    haha, i think you just about nailed it! ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    They never seem to complain when the money rolls in tho, do they ? Meet her halfway and say, maybe only 5 cars on the property at a time or something of that nature. Good luck man, my wife is the toughest customer I have.
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by taterjuice:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    tater is right, she will ease into it, if i need the cash i pick out the car in the yard with the least potential to scrap, so sometimes i unload one to load another one up, it never fails that you remember that one part you needed and say, man i hauled one of them away last week, so yep talk her into letting you keep 5 laying around
    expect the worst and hope for the best
    cory couch
    c & c recycling
    JUNKERS AND CLUNKERS
    (870) 897-6484

8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by corycouch:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taterjuice View Post
    They never seem to complain when the money rolls in tho, do they ? Meet her halfway and say, maybe only 5 cars on the property at a time or something of that nature. Good luck man, my wife is the toughest customer I have.
    Or maybe put up a wood fence and hide a few behind it. Out of sight, out of mind. And keeps the neighbors happy that way.

P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

10. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    My grandfather would do what Cory suggested when he had cars in the yard when we were younger. It seemed like he was always swapping them around or on/off the the flatbeds. LOL. Me and my cousin never minded tho, as we got to drive them if they ran. Which is pretty cool when your all of 10..lol.

An I agree, you messed up when you told the boss..err wife.

Sirscrapalot - “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Supposedly by Apple Inc.

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post
    Sirscrapalot - “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” - Supposedly by Apple Inc.
    sounds more like something off the grapes of wrath ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    LOL...it was credited to Apple Inc on the site I found it. I didn't think Apple could be that creative myself..ha! /zing!

Sirscrapalot - Behind every successful man is a proud wife and a surprised mother-in-law. ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In this scrap business you need support. You can solve that by not holding on to too much inventory so they cannot say not to turn your farm into a junk yard.
    Your Trash-My Cash
    Yours Truly, TheRecycler:
    RecycleReuseItAll@Facebook.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    most of the time, the converter is more than worth the effort to remove. Don't forget the battery...just pop the hood and cut the battery cables.

Also, if you get you wife to agree to "X" amount of cars are anything like that, write it down, so you cant argue over what was agreed on.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    You just have to find the right approach to the boss. Mine decided "this scrap metal stuff" was all right the first time I came back from the yard with a check for $400. Then the day I sold half a pickup load of copper and aluminum, I laid over $1000 on the table. She told me "Go find more scrap".
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

19. The Following 12 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    My wife is constantly searching for scrap anywhere she goes now and searches cl everyday.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to taterjuice for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    I have an agreement with my wife too. 1 car at a time. We live in the middle of town. So any more than that.. makes us look junky quick. She does constantly harp on me for all my sorted buckets in the garage. I have yet to come up with a good system of oranizing the buckets and bins themselves so they aren't strewn in different spots in the garage.
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge42 View Post
    I have an agreement with my wife too. 1 car at a time. We live in the middle of town. So any more than that.. makes us look junky quick. She does constantly harp on me for all my sorted buckets in the garage. I have yet to come up with a good system of oranizing the buckets and bins themselves so they aren't strewn in different spots in the garage.
    Put up a shelf system to stack it all in one area, mine's kinda cluttered but you can get the idea.
    2x4's for the frame and plywood for the shelves. I can keep heavy totes and buckets up there without a worry of collapse from the weight.
    The wood came from a haul-off. We just fastened it to the wall for support.

24. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Put up a shelf system to stack it all in one area, mine's kinda cluttered but you can get the idea.
    2x4's for the frame and plywood for the shelves. I can keep heavy totes and buckets up there without a worry of collapse from the weight.

I think that looks really organized. Looks great. My place looks like the city dump most of the time...crap everywhere even with shelving and racking. I lost a large box of ram today when I was shifting piles of crap around It's like finding a needle in a stack of needles.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanw for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post

Nice! I have some steel racking in the garage, but it has totes for every darn house thing, the other is filled with Paint, But I do have a section at the end of the garage I could do this in- as soon as I get the doors for the house taken care of and out of that space! Thanks for the pic and tip!!!
    Aaron

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I feel fortunate that my wife is on board with what I do. When we scored this beast at a Barn Sale this am she was just as excited as I was...no price posted and I was afraid to ask but then the guy says you need that, 5 bucks and it's yours I was all over it. Disclaimer: No it's not getting scrapped.

Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

29. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KzScrapper View Post
    I feel fortunate that my wife is on board with what I do. When we scored this beast at a Barn Sale this am she was just as excited as I was...no price posted and I was afraid to ask but then the guy says you need that, 5 bucks and it's yours I was all over it. Disclaimer: No it's not getting scrapped.

cool man, looks like easy dump too. I'm guessing that was a precurser to the big plastic buggies you see now, on jobsites and such

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It'll work great except in muddy weather.

33. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Business plan topic
      By devo in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM
    2. Plan for the week.
      By Arkansaw in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM
    3. buisness plan
      By bluemeate in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 9