Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

car trailers

| Vehicle Recycling
    Immulmen started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

car trailers

I am looking into getting a car trailer. There is one listed close to me for a good price BUT the axles are mounted solid. I have not looked at it, only photos.
    Is a trailer like this worth it or should I look for one with springs. What about brakes? Electric or surge?
    I don't think I will be using it more then 1 or 2 times a month.
    Chris

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 514 Posts
    Check the laws in your State as far as brakes
    I believe it is based on what weight you have the trailer registered as whether it is required to have brakes or not.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I haul about three to five cars a week. Once you get your trailer you will find yourself getting more cars. Here are some tips that might help. First look at true car haulers. meaning no rails, this way once the car is on trailer you can open the doors. I like the steel floors but wood is fine. Try to get on 18 or 20 foot not 16 this way you can haul longer trucks when you find them. Make sure you get one with dovetail, it makes loading easier. Check tires make sure they are good if not you will be buying tires and they cost over $100 a piece. Look at the rims and axles. If you can find one with 8 lugs get it, they are rated at 5k to 7.5k, 6lug are about 3.5k each. Good luck if you have and questions just pm me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ocedy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry forgot about springs. Some trailers have what they call tortion axels. Spelled wrong. The are found on stock trailers. This means no need for springs you can run with wheels on dual axel trailer is you have a flat and you can be fully loaded. If you can post a picture will help.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I used to have a homemade trailer made out of I-Beams that they had welded the duel axles on solid. Thing was a tank and served it's purpose for hauling scaffolding but I always made sure the tires were good since they were basically the suspension. Also had to be careful on the up down angles since the wheels didn't articulate.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    If they solid welded axles with no suspension I'd pass. Ever ride a hard tail Harley ? Highway speeds are impossible and unsafe, not to mention, giving enough miles, the trailer will shake its self to pieces due to lack of suspension. Keep looking I bought my first car trailer for 1000$, spent bout 300 more loving on it and had a pretty decent trailer. It was narrow, full size pickups had to drive on angle iron frame on one side, didn't have brakes or dove tail but it worked. Kinda miss it some days, the flat surface sucked for cars but was great for loading and stacking larger shred items like fridges.
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    the before pic
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now I've got the wood off gonna sand and repaint

Paid 1500$ for this one, it will pay itself off pretty fast.
    I'm go
    gonna turn the boards over make her look newer.

Cant wait to put her to use.
    Surge brakes

Can't find one online to compare price wise

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by SuperDave:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    The old flip the board trick ! Love it, did that on my old angle frame trailer before I sold it and the boards looked brand new.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    nice trailer i would of paid 1500 for that all day long, i would go electric for the brakes and just replace that hitch with a newer one, i put a new pintle on mine just to keep it problem free, i'm looking for a new winch, mine craped out last week, not sure what i'm going with yet....was looking at champion and super winch today...not sure

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cummins for This Post:

Immulmen started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a lead on another one, with springs. It is not a dove tail but he is looking for a 101 inch wide snowmobile trailer for trade.It just so happens I have an aluminum one that I don't need so a trade may work out good for both of us.
    Chris

15. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Immulmen:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Once I get her the way I want I'll look into a winch. Not sure what to get. Hard to find a used one so far.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    SuperDave:
    Look Into Engo Winches. I got one shipped to my door (10,000 Lb) for about $320 bucks. The guy who started the company is a former Mile Marker Employee. I've had mine and it is a beaut! Dead Pull, Flat Tires, 2 ton vans- Not a problem!

I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

18. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'll check it out thanks
    do you always put yours away in the toolbox? I think I would like the ones that you connct to a 2" receiver, that way I can take it off, out of the elements and THEIVES.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dave:
    I had a 2" Receiver with a plate welded down, My winch was mounted to a Winch Plate and slid into the receiver. After about 20 times of picking it all up (Winch 96 lbs, Plate 50 Lbs, and J Hooks- 20 lbs) It SUUUUUCKED. I just had this fabbed up. Basically the bottom of the box was cut out a little, The guy mounted the Winch to the Plate and Bolted it Down, He also welded the Plate. Plus the box locks. I was unsure when I designed it if it would be enough, but at this stage, They would have to:
    Break into the Box
    AND
    Figure out how to get it all un-attached.
    PLUS
    The Fairlead rollers are mounted Outside the box, but bolt to the winch plate INSIDE the box.

They would also have to get all of that torn apart to get the wire that is fed.
    They would be there a good long while. :-)

21. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Really like that idea as well thanks for taking the time Sledge. I've also got a toolbox mounted to the trailer, but it seems low on the deckover. I think I would have to raise the toolbox a little but verry good idea
    none the less. Have no keys, owner could not find them, I'll just change the lock. Wonder what the winch in the toolbox would add to tongue weight?
    This trailer of mine is heavy on the tongue, axles are at the back to allow the tilt, thinking of air bags for the truck....costs just don't end. But then I could have on-board air compressor..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperDave for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dave-
    Mine was built on 3" Box Channel with 3/8" Wall, The guy had to do some working at it- but it raised the box up enough to make it so he could mount the winch in.. and have the fairleads come out between the deck and the crashbar.. He did a heck of a job. I'm posting some pics of the build for you. Also the Box is the one from Harbor Freight. On Sale, with 20% coupon I walked out the door with it for about $99 bucks including tax!

Last edited by sledge; 05-04-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Pictures

25. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This was my Old Set-Up. I cut a Receiver off a truck I scrapped and it was sturdy.. Don't get me wrong. But after you have gone, hauled the car up, strapped it down and driven home. Lugging this thing all included.. it was just a bear. I never did get a picture of it with the winch and hooks on the receiver.. but that weight at days end was brutal! The second picture is the winch on the plate with Fairleads.. it sat in a bucket in my garage when not in use!

Last edited by sledge; 05-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sledge for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dave:
    I know the $ Never ends on these trailers (BELIEVE ME I know) But if you want to make your life easier.. once you get set with your winch.. Be sure to invest in a set of these J Hooks, BA Products makes them, hook one on each side of the axle and it makes pulling like Butta..

29. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    I like those a lot, ive had them in the cart more times than I can count and just never hit the checkout button, we have used our axle straps to pull with since we have gotten them, straps around the axle on both sides, ratchetstrap in between, and another axle strap going around the strap and hook the winch up, it sounds complicated but its really simple and the same as above, yours is better for sure though and after your pic they will be my next order, thanks sledge
    expect the worst and hope for the best
    cory couch
    c & c recycling
    JUNKERS AND CLUNKERS
    (870) 897-6484

31. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by corycouch:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Cory:
    In a pinch I've used my axle strap hooked onto my winch hook, I was 2 hours a way and realized I forgot to hook the J Hooks onto the winch (This was when it was removable) These suckers are rated for 5400 Lbs.. I love em. Make the car pull nice and straight too :-)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sledge for This Post:

34. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. car question. how old does the car have to be before you need a title?
      By vamped400 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM
    2. Where are all the trailers?????
      By Joe&Felix in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
    3. Scrap Trailers in LA
      By IdahoScrapper in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-22-2011, 02:15 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast