Desktop Computer Towers & Monitors

| TV and Monitor Recycling
    watwugy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Desktop Computer Towers & Monitors

Are these mainly aluminum or steel? There are a ton being junked nearby, but if it's steel it's likely not worth my time to go drive to pick them up. However, if it's aluminum, at around .50 / lb., it may in fact be worth my time.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The cases would be most likely steel. There will be some aluminum in there, but not a lot. I would take them even if they didn't have aluminum. Easier to get 10 pounds of steel than 1 pound of aluminum, and you would get $0.80 for the 10 pounds vs. $0.50 for 1 pound of aluminum. If you find a buyer for the boards inside, there is more money, plus you get a nice handful of insulated wire. I don't get what a lot of people get for wire but it adds up. If you strip the wire, you can get even more and it doesn't take up a lot of space.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The real money in a desktop, in my opinion, is from the high grade boards, the RAM, and the CPUs (and of course the wire). Those are the gold platinum and palladium containing parts that people want to refine, and that can be sold on ebay for $$. Really, when you pull that stuff out of there, the steel that is left is only worth maybe $.50-$1. go on ebay and check out what they are selling for!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrrationalist View Post
    The real money in a desktop, in my opinion, is from the high grade boards, the RAM, and the CPUs (and of course the wire). Those are the gold platinum and palladium containing parts that people want to refine, and that can be sold on ebay for $$. Really, when you pull that stuff out of there, the steel that is left is only worth maybe $.50-$1. go on ebay and check out what they are selling for!
    Well these desktops are going to be fairly old, the parts likely aren't worth very much, but I'll see what I can sell those for on ebay for sure.

tj, what's the purpose of stripping the wire? Is that copper on the inside that we're all so fond of here? And is it better to strip it and keep what's inside and save it up?

Still trying to get a handle on how you guys salvage everything - it's pretty **** cool though.

Oh, and happy holidays, all!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes, the wires are copper wire. Soldier covered copper, if you take a file to it, you will see the true color under. And yes, if you have the time to strip it is worth it. I do it here and there. Started going in to the shed to smoke rather than stand in the snow and wind, so while I smoke I will strip a wire or 2.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjlock View Post
    Yes, the wires are copper wire. Soldier covered copper, if you take a file to it, you will see the true color under. And yes, if you have the time to strip it is worth it. I do it here and there. Started going in to the shed to smoke rather than stand in the snow and wind, so while I smoke I will strip a wire or 2.

Alright so sorry if I'm a bit ignorant here, but not all wires have copper inside, do they? Things like USB cables and computing cables?

Also, what tool is best for stripping wire? I know there are tools specifically made for stripping ends off a wire if you're splicing them (I've seen my father do it when he used to do electrical work around the house), so would you just use something like that for the entire length of it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I use a box cutter and start one end. I try to take the blade down a few inches so that once I get the copper exposed I can hold the wire in a gloved hand and then grab the insulation with pliers and start pulling. Can be a hassle at times, that I won't deny, as the insulation weakens in some parts and snaps before it is off. All the wires I have pulled from a computer have been copper. It may look like aluminum when you first strip it, but that is a solder covering on the wires. If you use a file on it, you see what I mean.

The ribbons that connect the hard drive to the mother board and cdrom/dvdrom drives are copper. I don't bother stripping those as they are a pain. Pretty sure USB cables are the same. I cut open a few Ethernet cables to find that they are copper.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tjlock for This Post:

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 35
      Last Post: 08-03-2014, 10:34 AM
    2. Picking up 50+ monitors and 4 or 5 towers tomorrow
      By ScrapperNJ26 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
    3. 400 computers, monitors and towers
      By lastchance in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-17-2012, 12:51 PM