Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    parrothead started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts

Ebay store Who has one and is it worth it?

Like the title says. I have been looking into it and using the calculater to figure if I need one or not. So far the sales I do are less than needed to warrant getting one, but are there other benefits? I have not used more than 50 listings in a month in a long time, but may do so soon. According to the calculator, it takes a good 100 sales averaging $20 each to warrant the cost.

I guess my main question is, is there a benefit that I am missing other than fees, listings, etc? (basically benefits other than the few dollars I may eventually save per month?)

"64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    Probably boosts your credibility with the buyers

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    did you use the new caculator for the new store rules and fees that start May 1st? Depending on the category you sell in it could make a huge difference. I know for me the diference between a store and non store is 6% just in final value fees. Thats huge considering im pushing $20k in sales so far for the year. Thats $1200 difference just in fees.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    did you use the new caculator for the new store rules and fees that start May 1st? Depending on the category you sell in it could make a huge difference. I know for me the diference between a store and non store is 6% just in final value fees. Thats huge considering im pushing $20k in sales so far for the year. Thats $1200 difference just in fees.
    Yes, I did use the calculater that has the upcoming figures.

I am pretty sure that I can figure when I need to switch to a store, just wanting to know if there are more benefits besides the cost savings.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    THere are some things that you get from a store. I Just got my store so I am still learning about all the differences. One I have found so far is there are a lot of automated features you can set up for a store. Like feedback. Another cool thing I like is say you list something on a 30 day listing and it hasnt sold. You can put it on sale and try to sell it so you dont have to pay listing fee again. There seem to be alot more reports and stuff that can be done with a store as well for tracking sales and the like. Your pages with a store look different as well. Still learning all the new stuff.

Hope that helps some.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The automated features are worth a lot. I do about $700 a month in eBay selling and the automated features make leaving feedback, relisting and dealing with complaints very easy. You also get to boost your eBay store through other outlets such as your personal website. I think a store gives your potential customers a piece of mind. Also, if you develop some contacts who subscribe to your store you can increase your marketing for both scrap collection and sales by email and newsletters.

It might also be noted that having a per month fee gives you an extra incentive to list items as opposed to scrapping them. I personally need this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremiah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks guys, that is some good info.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have been selling on eBay for a long time and just recently started using the Store. I can't say why but the amount of traffic I get has more than doubled with the store. The more people see it the more likely it is to sell. The final value discount pays for the store fee pretty quickly.
    Good luck

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have been selling on ebay for 14 years and have had a store for several years. I like better than auctions that don't sell.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you are moving volume anything over the 50 free monthly listings I would say go for it. Before I got into E-waste I did surplus Kitchen accessories and the store was wonderful addition. Still have people sending me emails about the products I had 3 years ago.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    I was just looking at the new fee calculator and it is a little confusing or miss leading... Their quick chart shows with a store computers are 4% but if you dig down into the Computer parts and accessories EBAY bumps the price or those catagories to 6% ????

Am I reading that wrong or does anybody else see the same???
    I know with volume it does not really matter you will save with a store, but to me that is miss leading

Update
    After digging more I see computer parts are split between Computer, Consumer Electronics and Camera accessories... Interesting way of confusing people Live and Learn lol
    Last edited by twmart; 05-04-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: update

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twmart View Post
    I was just looking at the new fee calculator and it is a little confusing or miss leading... Their quick chart shows with a store computers are 4% but if you dig down into the Computer parts and accessories EBAY bumps the price or those catagories to 6% ????

Am I reading that wrong or does anybody else see the same???
    I know with volume it does not really matter you will save with a store, but to me that is miss leading

Update
    After digging more I see computer parts are split between Computer, Consumer Electronics and Camera accessories... Interesting way of confusing people Live and Learn lol
    even at 6% your saving a ton because without a store your paying 10%. So you only need to sell $500 worth of stuff on ebay to make up the cost of the store.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    I have been selling on ebay for 10 years now. I have an ebay store with 600 items in it. Yes it is worth it. The basic store is $16 month with the yearly contract and includes 150 free listings. So its definetly worth it if you have over 100 items. The premium store is $40 month and includes 500 free listings. I still run auctions from time to time, but i prefer the 30 day auto renewing store listings. Its much less work than running 7 day auctions. I spend about 10 hours a week doing listings and shipping. I use a dymo 4x6 label printer, it really cuts shipping time down.
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    Are you able to use that dymo printer to print shipping through ebay, or do you use a service?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yes it is a printer and will print labels thru any website, it has good drivers and software that can be downloaded for it

DYMO LabelWriter 4XL, 4" x 6" Label Printer, they are not cheap but are worth it if your planning on running alot of labels, they do not use toner/ink so no extra expense there or trips to the store, the label paper they take costs 2 cents per label which is about the lowest in the industry

my store is doing 80k-100k year in sales, i shoot for the lowest price with free shipping to maximize volume, i do not price items high and sit on them waiting for a top dollar sale
    Last edited by jghilino; 05-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by jghilino:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    That's good to know...I will be getting one of those then. It is a pain printing shipping labels for USPS off of ebay and having to trim them down.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yea i think regular sheets of label paper are like 10 cents sheet and you get 2 labels out of it, they are a pain to peel and jam up the printer half the time, never again

if your printing labels its best to get a label printer, just throwing my 2 zinc cents out there

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a free ebay store. I've been a member of ebay since October 7 1998. Was one of the first to get the ebay store and it's been free for my account since.

http://reclaimtech.com/
    We pay you to recycle!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jghilino View Post
    yes it is a printer and will print labels thru any website, it has good drivers and software that can be downloaded for it

DYMO LabelWriter 4XL, 4" x 6" Label Printer, they are not cheap but are worth it if your planning on running alot of labels, they do not use toner/ink so no extra expense there or trips to the store, the label paper they take costs 2 cents per label which is about the lowest in the industry

my store is doing 80k-100k year in sales, i shoot for the lowest price with free shipping to maximize volume, i do not price items high and sit on them waiting for a top dollar sale
    If you are shipping with Fedex or UPS they will give you the label printer and all the labels you will ever need for free. You will need a business account with the carrier.

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    IT's well worth it, especially if you're in the scrap business and you come across some good equipment especially if its new. sold two items wireless access controllers one for 1500.00 and the other for 1250.00 and it cost me nothing.. so I'm ahead of the game
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pcscrapper for This Post:

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. News: Supermarket Throws Away an Entire Store Worth of Food
      By Electrowaste in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
    2. Amazon Store vs Ebay store
      By Jeremiah in forum Ebay Traders
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM
    3. Great deals going on now in our ebay store!
      By PRECIOUSMETAL in forum Ebay Traders
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM
    4. scrapping a hardware store...is this worth it?
      By Troyer16 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 10-16-2012, 11:42 PM
    5. 4/20 telephone/computer ebay store guy
      By Dunemaul in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information