aggravation and of course another question

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    bigdog72 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

aggravation and of course another question

seem most of my posts ask a question but hey I'm you don't learn if you don't ask. my question has to do with vehicle weights, I know there are a couple threads about this but they just seemed to confuse me more. I just got asked what to I would pay for a 86 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a plow, I'm having a hard time figuring out what it weighs and have seen some very different answers. any where from about 3500 to 6400 not counting the plow. so my question is what the heck does this weigh approximately? and what is a good way to find this out in the future?

Now for the second part concerning my aggravation, I have started posting ads for scrap on craigslist as a lot of people do and for the most part is has been alright. however recently someone has just been flagging my ads and getting them removed, only the one in the wanted section and only in a certain city. now to my knowledge I am not breaking any of the rules as none of my other ads get flagged. I wouldn't mind really if it was only a couple times but I think I reposted the ad about 4 times in one night and within an hour. Don't know why it is getting flagged or who is doing it but it is really getting on my nerves

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If someone doesn't like the post they can flag it. Lots of people do it. Its probly just a competitor of yours doing it. There is no reason too get pi$$ed about it.

Truck weighs roughly 4800-5500 pounds. The plow is probley in the 3-400 pound range. Maybe more with all the hydros. But if the plow works you would be far better off parting it out. If the plows junk, then its scrap. If the plow works good it could be $1500 used. But that depends on a lot of things.

My old k20 mudder weighed 5400 on 37inch tires with a 454 in it. But it was a '76 so there may be a more insolation/ safty stuff in the newer body style. IDK.

Gangel
    The reason you're having problems, plow set up. Disregard all that. If you can't quote a vehicle on what you think off the top of your head, it isn't worth it. Plus, an 86 isn't going to weigh curb/wet/dry weight as to what it appeared in the factory book. If you're hemming and hawing over the weight, you're going to get screwed on the plow.

As far as getting pulled on your ads, wanted section is not supposed to be for business wanted. Some CL monitors are a stickler for that. Some towns aren't. Don't fight CL. You won't win. It's a free service. You can't rightly complain about something that is free.

I think I will also add to the bottom of my posts:

These are only my opinions. I don't care if you think I'm blowing smoke up someones chimney. As it stands, if it's typed on the internet, it must be true.

Sorry, had to edit my original thought. I thought GM had an extended cab in mid 80's.
    Last edited by Gangel; 04-23-2013 at 10:57 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No clue on the vehicle weight, but with the craigslist ad, after mine would get flagged a couple of times, I would always thank the person who flagged my ad because now my new ad is back on the top and theirs is on the bottom. After a while my ads never got flagged.
    My fortune cookie said:
    You discover treasures where others see nothing unusual.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I keep several adds saved in a email to myself so I can pull them up anywhere and repost. If they are flagging your add repeatedly try posting a different one since they are watching for the one they keep flagging...also I will post when the perps are more likely to be drinking their profits rather then cruising Clist.

Google curb weights for vehicles you are looking at then adjust for modifications. If the plow is scrap then pull the scraping edge off as it may be carbide IIRC and pay much better then steel.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    73-89 same body style. i have a 77 3/4 ton 2wd and empty i am right at 5000 tare on the scale, so minus fuel fatguy tools 4500 is a good number to start with, if you can find the manufactures gvwr it shows a difference of 200 lbs in the towing capacity between comparable 2 vs 4wd trucks, so as a conservative without the plow 4700 is a good number.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Here's what has helped me with weights. Google curb weight put in type of car or truck and year should get you pretty close. Also get an idea of what you will give for the truck and offer that. Don't count the plow use that as cushion.
    With craigslist issue that is possibly another scrapper don't let it get to you just keep posting.
    Good Luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ocedy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badkarma506 View Post
    73-89 same body style. i have a 77 3/4 ton 2wd and empty i am right at 5000 tare on the scale, so minus fuel fatguy tools 4500 is a good number to start with, if you can find the manufactures gvwr it shows a difference of 200 lbs in the towing capacity between comparable 2 vs 4wd trucks, so as a conservative without the plow 4700 is a good number.
    Not entirely correct 1973-1980 same identical body style with minor changes on the 80. 1981-1987 newer body style, mainly front clip, different hood, square headlights. doors and cab basically the same, blazers, suburbans and 4 door pickups retained this body style into the early 90's even the body style change in 1988 for regular cab pickups.
    Last edited by taterjuice; 04-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    [QUOTE=taterjuice;144968]Not entirely correct 1973-1980 same identical body style with minor changes on the 80. 1981-1987 newer body style, mainly front clip, different hood, square headlights. doors and cab basically the same, blazers, suburbans and 4 door pickups retained this body style into the early 90's even the body style change in 1988 for regular cab pickups.[/QUOTE

Yep, '91 was the last year for the solid front diff.

And GM did have a Extended cab truck in the '80s. But there so rare I dought any have been scrapped.

Nothing more too add.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    the truck is a regular cab k20 from what Ive seen I think I could ball park around 5000lbs for it and make my offer off that, as for the craigslist thing I am being told the wanted section is the wrong section for scrap ads so I will just keep them out of that problem area. It's funny though I put an ad to the person flagging saying basically stop because there no reason for it and it got flagged to, whatever I have about 5 other ads up so I won't worry about that one for a while

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    It's funny though I put an ad to the person flagging saying basically stop because there no reason for it and it got flagged to, whatever I have about 5 other ads up so I won't worry about that one for a while
    Isn't that considered spam by their terms of agreement?
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    The CL for my area is full of scrappers in the wanted section. If your looking for scrap where are you supose to post your ad other that the wanted section. I know your not supose to post a scrap wanted ad in the free section.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Mechanic: no because they aren't all the same or in the same section or city for that matter.

happy: I was told on the discussion forum that the wanted section is for specific items and items that you will pay for, so you can have scrap ads you just have to word it right I guess

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog72 for This Post:

Gangel

services

Scrap wanted is suppose to go under Services section

17. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. My 1st dumb question question(loading photos)
      By machinistace802 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
    2. Another question
      By bahahaha in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM
    3. First Question
      By MES in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM
    4. Serious Question