20 foot freight shipping container

| Scrap Shipping and Logistics
    BurlyGuys started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts

20 foot freight shipping container

So I have an opportunity to pick up a free 20' shipping container. Have to move it about 25 miles. Has anyone else used one for storage? Are they generally watertight?

Going to cost me about $300 to get it moved and it is only worth about $480 as scrap, although I understand there is a market if I wanted to resell it. Just considering all my options here. Any thoughts?

Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It all depends on the condition of it, if you get the chance to go inside and have someone you trust close the doors on you, then if there are any holes you will be able to see light.
    Ones that are in good condition are great for storage and would love to be able to get one for myself.
    My fortune cookie said:
    You discover treasures where others see nothing unusual.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I see quite a few folks on my sandbar that use them for storage for various things. Seeing as how we love our hurricanes and rain, I would imagine it's like Brandon said, depends on the condition if its 'still' waterproof or not.

Good luck and let us know how it ends up Burly!

Sirscrapalot - "If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
    ― Mark Twain

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 641 Posts
    unless it is already sCrap, it is a no brainier to me. Whats the worst case, ya have to spend a little to seal it up better, tarp it, coat it with tar whatever...how much is the convenience of having all that extra storage that is not costing ya a monthly fee? I think it would have to be a real piece of junk, for me to say no, if I had the space to put it. jus my 2

if it falls apart after a week, I "vote" we blame Sirscraplot and take his cooler.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BroJer for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BroJer View Post
    unless it is already sCrap, it is a no brainier to me. Whats the worst case, ya have to spend a little to seal it up better, tarp it, coat it with tar whatever...how much is the convenience of having all that extra storage that is not costing ya a monthly fee? I think it would have to be a real piece of junk, for me to say no, if I had the space to put it. jus my 2

if it falls apart after a week, I "vote" we blame Sirscraplot and take his cooler.
    How would he survive without his cooler?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlyGuys View Post
    How would he survive without his cooler?
    He'd cry alot and nobody wants to see a grown scrapper cry. Plus you'd piss my wife off. She's who you got to worry about.

Sirscrapalot - Making sure any beverages for Brojer out of the cooler are filled with sand.

8. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Okay, here it is. Has some holes in the roof but my new guy is a welder, so no problem there. I just can't pass this thing up, getting it Monday.

10. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by BurlyGuys:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    its good your picking this up, id take all i could get if all i had to do was pay the tow bill, i pay $90 a month for mine but its a 40footer, congrats burly

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Burly, When you get it sealed I work loading and unloading shipping cans pretty often at work. I know they say "fix with corten steel only" somewhere on the box. Not sure exactly what that means. If you are going to store anything valuable inside the container, be sure to throw some dry silica bags in the container. The containers can hold an awful lot of condensation and cause mildew with weather fluctuations.

I unloaded peoples personal effects/Furniture out of a container from India and another time(separate shipments) from germany a couple years back. The one from India had items that had gotten wet while loading in India. By the time it had got here everything was covered in mold and had to be shipped back. The one from Germany had a bad seal allowing a little moisture in with the same results.

Lastly be very careful no one gets locked in one. On a serious note a 25 year old mover from a couple towns away at a different company decided to sleep off after having a few too many at the bar instead of going home drunk. He opened the container crawled in and passed out leaving the door ajar. One of the second shifters arriving back late at night saw the door and being that it was dark didn't see him. He got locked in and it was in the middle of the summer. His body was found the next week. Sad yes maybe have the welder install a safety latch like they do in car trunks nowadays.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    just buy a cheap hammer from harbor freight and print out a copy of the morris code and duct tape to inside of container. cheaper than a safety latch!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BurlyGuys View Post
    So I have an opportunity to pick up a free 20' shipping container. Have to move it about 25 miles. Has anyone else used one for storage? Are they generally watertight?

Going to cost me about $300 to get it moved and it is only worth about $480 as scrap, although I understand there is a market if I wanted to resell it. Just considering all my options here. Any thoughts?
    As part of my job we auction these often , even in poor condition they go for £600.00($900.00) all day long.on top of this is 15% buyers premium and 20% tax. Over here they are like gold dust
    Last edited by british; 03-30-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: realy bad spellling

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Burly, When you get it sealed I work loading and unloading shipping cans pretty often at work. I know they say "fix with corten steel only" somewhere on the box. Not sure exactly what that means.
    Cor-Ten steel is the trademarked but common name for steel in which various alloys are added to create a layer of rust on its surface. Also called weathering steel, this oxidized surface eliminates the need for paint or some other weatherproofing treatment.

read more from the source : http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/358346/list/Interesting-Industrial-Materials--Cor-Ten-Steel

16. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by oldtoothlessbassmaster:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whm1 View Post
    just buy a cheap hammer from harbor freight and print out a copy of the morris code and duct tape to inside of container. cheaper than a safety latch!
    You better hope someones around. Those things can quickly get 20 to 30 degrees hotter than the outside temp, with the doors open when they sit in the hot sun. Imagine how much time you would have with the doors closed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Put a couple of old window a/c or box fans in there and you will be set.
    YOSF (You Only Scrap Forever)
    YOLO (You Only Live Once)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Bury it and hurry up and wait for the bitter end of the earth. Great find Burly.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Doomsday Preppers the Scrapper edition?

Sirscrapalot - Waiting for Scrapper Dynasty...can already picture a cast.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would have jumped all over this deal if it was six months ago. I bought one back in October because my big job box finally took a crap. It still works just can't get the huge door down because the hinges are rusted away and splintering. The one I bought was 2000.00 and they wouldn't call it water tight. The water tight units cost 2500.00. Same size as yours just slightly better condition. I would imagine you could get 1500.00 out of it if you bought it and fixed the holes in it. You might have problems welding on it since the steel is so thin. Most of the ones I have seen that were patched had a piece of steel put over the holes and some silicone caulking around it then they ran screws through it. I use this for storage only and it works great. You can't go wrong with it because you can always pick it up and move it for 200 bucks or less. You can move it from jobsite to jobsite if you ever get big enough. Think down the road don't plan for today. Plan for the future.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PistoneScrapProcessing View Post
    Think down the road don't plan for today. Plan for the future.
    That's exactly where I am at with this. I don't really NEED it right now, but I can see HUGE potential for it and I'm unlikely to find another one any time soon for just the cost of transport.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    help me out on this one John you live in detroit and don"t need a shipping container???
    Liberty Towing & Recycling
    (732)279-8599
    Cleaning up NJ 1 LB at a time!
    Certified Mobile Scales
    Fully Insured Carrier usdot # 1802487
    WWW.LibertyTowing.Webs.Com
    WWW.TRRecycles.Webs.com

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. requesting a container?
      By iicekingg in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
    2. container
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
    3. Shipping. usps via Gaylord ltl shipping.
      By wdaddy in forum Scrap Shipping and Logistics
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Thread Information