TV Disassembly

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    Kris Kringle
    Kris Kringle started this thread.

TV Disassembly

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Is the 'gas' from the back of the TV screen toxic, bad for the environment, or negative in any other way? Also, the circuit boards were worth about $2 per pound on eBay if you want to deal them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    TVs are ok to scrap. but computer monitors are the real money makers. Computer monitors / CRTs are one of my favorite things to scrap. Right now there is no efficient way to recycle the leaded glass, which is between 10-70% Lead by weight.

There is much more value in a old computer monitor than an old TV. They are smaller, they have much more metal, and usually have a good deal of aluminum.

Also there is no gas inside of a TV or any other type of CRT. They is almost a complete vacuum, and they have almost no gas inside of them at all. When the CRT breaks, that sound is actually air going INTO the glass tube.

I never break my CRTs with a hammer. Never. It is not the right way to do it. You may actually cause the glass to implode and shatter all over the place, including your face. CRTs are put together VERY SIMPLY, which means they can be pulled apart VERY SIMPLY! The trick is to just have the right tools at your disposal, which I talk more about on my page.

The right way to get that copper yoke off, for those interested, is to unscrew the two screws holding it in place at the top. The added bonus is that the two screws holding the yoke in place are actually made of 300 grade, non-magnetic, stainless steel ! After you unscrew those, all you have to do is pull the copper yoke right off with a little twist.

Sometimes the two screws need a square bit to be pulled out. I have bought a square bit just for that reason. But before I bought a square bit, I just used a big pair of bold cutters and cut them with little to no effort. VERY SIMPLE! If you don't want the floor of your shop full of sharp shards of broken leaded glass, (not to mention maybe even a face full of glass) just pull the screws out the right way!

I may be pushing that point too much; it's just that it is a very simple way to stay safe and to get your hands on a little bit of stainless steel!

I've probably taken apart over 200-250 computer monitors in the past year. It is only lucrative if you have a reliable way to throw out the leaded glass. You muct be careful, as throwing it into the trash is technically illegal! This is the same problem most people have with trying to scrap car wheels; there is nowhere to put the tires!

4. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by TheMetalizer:

Kris Kringle
    Ok TheIrrationalist you convinced me Tomorrow I am going to tear apart a Computer Monitor. I want to see if it is worth it to me to scrap if it is there is a lot of schools around here that always has monitors at the auctions.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All of my computer monitors I get for free. I hate to say it, but if you pay for them, you are probably not going to make enough for it to be worth your time. The best way to do it is to put an add up on craig's list that says you will take them for free. Many institutions need to dispose of many of these things, and have no environmental AND economic way of doing so. Many recycling places will buy them for for $5-$10 per monitor (which is stupid).

The boards that are inside of them, unfortunately are not high grade printed circuit boards (PCBs), which contain traces of gold and are worth $2-$4 per pound. They do, however, have aluminum heat sinks, and copper filled transformers on them, which you can pull off and sell.

But ya, they are a good source of copper, aluminum, and actually, the plastic cover is recyclable as well. It's called "ABS plastic" and sells for about $200 per ton at a plastic recycler (which I have near my home).

The trick is to do it quickly and efficiently, to strip the degaussing cable if you don't get paid enough for the wire. And wear gloves.

As the winter starts up, its easy to pull these things apart inside away from the cold weather. It can, however, be monotonous.
    Last edited by TheMetalizer; 12-31-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Kris Kringle
    Ok tore down a monitor today got the Copper and Aluminum and stainless out of it with todays prices I am figuring I got $5.50 worth of metals it took me about 10 mins to fully tear it apart not bad considering it was first time I tore into one. These school auctions around here a Pallet of 50 Monitors goes for $5-$7 and most times they dont even sell at that price {No Bidders}. only thing that concerns me is Disposing of the Glass.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah, I have a few monitors sitting around but never tore them down because of the hassle to get rid of them. If the plastic place not to far from here takes the casing, the leaded glass will be the only issue I will have with them now. What would be the most practical way to get rid of them?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    Ok tore down a monitor today got the Copper and Aluminum and stainless out of it with todays prices I am figuring I got $5.50 worth of metals it took me about 10 mins to fully tear it apart not bad considering it was first time I tore into one. These school auctions around here a Pallet of 50 Monitors goes for $5-$7 and most times they dont even sell at that price {No Bidders}. only thing that concerns me is Disposing of the Glass.
    Yeah seems to me if you can buy 50 monitors for $5-$10 then you could make over $100 easy not bad if you ask me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I also have some tvs and monitors. havent done anything with them because i dont know what to do with the glass.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Is the lead from the glass salvagable?
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere - but what about the danger of an electrical shock from tvs and computer crts? I've seen videos on how to discharge the electricity but the tools they use are hard to see. Does anyone have a quick and easy homemade tool and process to e? Or a good link? A friend of mine who used to repair computers told me that she wouldn't touch the crts because they have as much electricity as a bolt of lightning.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Here's a link of one of the funniest threads on here that should help...
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showt......?highlight=
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Here's a link of one of the funniest threads on here that should help...
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showt......?highlight=
    That was hilarious and very informative, thank you KZBell, for posting that link.

I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track here because I am not a technology person at all. I wouldn't know a capacitor if it bit me (isn't that what we don't want to happen anyway?). I'm thinking that I could get a wire with an alligator clip at each end. Then attach one of the clips to the metal part of an insulated screwdriver and attach the other clip to the metal frame of the tv or crt. Then I would slide the screwdriver up under the suction cup and that would safely discharge the electricity? Is that right? I mean I really don't want the rude surprise that TheHoss got. This could not be bottom-lined too much for me - sock puppets acceptable. Thanks for any help.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapette View Post
    Please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere - but what about the danger of an electrical shock from tvs and computer crts? I've seen videos on how to discharge the electricity but the tools they use are hard to see. Does anyone have a quick and easy homemade tool and process to e? Or a good link? A friend of mine who used to repair computers told me that she wouldn't touch the crts because they have as much electricity as a bolt of lightning.
    Use a coaxial cable (steel one will do, no need to waste a copper one) stripped at both ends to reveal the naked metal wire but leaving the insulation in the middle as theres no need to make more effort than needed, wind one end around a long flat blade insulated screwdriver and earth the other side to something metal. If at home a radiator or something nearby will do. If you strip yours on the scene then attach it to any old heavy lump of metal and place this on the ground. At the back of the CRT you will notice a round rubber flap. Slip the screwdriver under there and touch the metal prongs underneath it. If it is charged you will hear a small pop, if not then no charge is stored and it's safe. Either way it is now safe.
    Some people will just use insulated wire cutters and think this is fine. It isn't. CRT's are capable of holding a very large charge, enough to arc from the metal cutting piece, over the insulated handle and into your hand. Then out your foot.
    You can use the same tool to discharge capacitors in microwaves.
    Please be careful, spend the few seconds to to prepare and scrap safe. You won't come across many, but you may only need one.

16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by harrisvh:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisvh View Post
    Use a coaxial cable (steel one will do, no need to waste a copper one) stripped at both ends to reveal the naked metal wire but leaving the insulation in the middle as theres no need to make more effort than needed, wind one end around a long flat blade insulated screwdriver and earth the other side to something metal. If at home a radiator or something nearby will do. If you strip yours on the scene then attach it to any old heavy lump of metal and place this on the ground. At the back of the CRT you will notice a round rubber flap. Slip the screwdriver under there and touch the metal prongs underneath it. If it is charged you will hear a small pop, if not then no charge is stored and it's safe. Either way it is now safe.
    Some people will just use insulated wire cutters and think this is fine. It isn't. CRT's are capable of holding a very large charge, enough to arc from the metal cutting piece, over the insulated handle and into your hand. Then out your foot.
    You can use the same tool to discharge capacitors in microwaves.
    Please be careful, spend the few seconds to to prepare and scrap safe. You won't come across many, but you may only need one.
    Thank you, harrisvh, very, very much. You gave an excellent description in the very basic terms that I needed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showt...ight=hoss+++tv
    harrisvh, Read that link there and she also did what you suggested and it got her. You have to discharge the capacitors cause that's what holds electricity also. The old trick in electronic class was to charge up a few small cap's and then throw them back in the box so when the next student would reach in to get a cap he'd get snapped instead. If the bleed off resistors are not working correctly the circuit board will hold a charge. Use the grounded screwdriver and simply brush it across the bottom of the circuit board.
    Take the other end of the wire like was suggested and ground it. In Hoss'es case he could have grounded it to the tailgate of the truck. If the tv's/monitors have set unplugged for a few weeks, then it should be safe, I say should because there are no guarantee's in life. Play safe boy's and girls. It's not worth loosing your life over a lousy tv.
    That's a computer wrist strap that will work also,,
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 10-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Way it sounded from the post she got done by the crt which would have been discharged by my method but yes.... I forgot to mention the circuitboard capacitors, thank you. -I know that size is not always indicative of the danger of the capacitor but this holds true for most household appliances doesn't it?
    Whilst you are here can you tell me of any everyday type appliances that have Low inductance capacitors in them? I'd rather not get a shock after it's been discharged.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Any tube type equipment has the potential to bite you, but I've never heard of anyone getting bit from a microwave. Unless your tearing it down while still plugged in. LOL Nothing else I know of, after 20 years of electronic repair and installs I've tore a lot of different crap apart. If anyone else has gotten bit by some appliance; jump in and share your experience.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap man View Post
    Is the lead from the glass salvagable?
    Lead sarcophagus for the fukushima reactor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernob...nt_sarcophagus

Thread Information