Ewaste Insanity

| Off Topic Discussions
    holedigger started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Ewaste Insanity

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of what to strip off of boards and what to leave, I read about IC's, flatbacks, and eproms. Two weeks later I had a nice little bucket full and felt satisfied. Then I took a small load of CBM's to my yard and was told flybacks should just go with shred and not electric motors. The price difference isn't huge so not a big deal there, but what a waste of time! Now I just finished reading about capacitors for 2 hours and can't figure out what the hell is going on with those or if I should even care. I want to get every penny I can out of everything I can and ship only small profitable things. Pretty sure I am going to hire someone next week to figure out a few things for me so I can focus on other things. It kills me that I can build a house from foundation to roof and then rip it down again and basically build a truck from a pile of parts, but reading about about Ta Caps makes my head spin. Ugh

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

2. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by holedigger:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,990 Posts
    i give up trying to read about them. I haven't seen any posts on them that's understandable enough to even try to decipher. There's a crap load of em in my scrap metal trailer now

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    Hey Holedigger, I'm with ya this stuff can get crazy even down to the more than 5 grades of Motherboards. I am building a 1968 Dodge Superbee ground up every nut and bolt, but took a while to figure out even the basics of the scrap circuit board scene.

I wouldn't throw the flyback transfomers in shred. You'll be able to either find someone to buy them as motors or transformers or whack em with a hammer, pull out the easy to get copper and then chunk em in shred.

Tantalum capacitors are tough to ID at first but I finally have a handle on some of them. The yellow(or black the same size) rectangles with only two leads are tantalum if they have a stripe on one end indicating polarity. Also the yellow torpedo shaped ones and bulb shaped ones that have polarity + marks on one leg. There are others that I'm not familiar with. However, even if you can ID them, they are so small that it takes from 100-200 of them to make an ounce (yes I weighed some batches of em). If they are $6 per lb, they just aren't worth getting. At $50 per lb, maybe.

I'm going to list some on ebay to see if I can get some bites at better prices.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pnutfarmer for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    That's the only reason I pull my flyback transformers is cause my yard will buy them, Check around first, cause it doesn't mean that they all will.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 641 Posts
    We admitted we were powerless over ewaste - that our lives had become unmanageable.

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BroJer:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    Escrap is definitely one area where you have to have knowledge, patience and the space/ability to hoard material. Even low grade boards can be processed at the $10 hour rate over selling them as-is. It just comes down to knowledge and the ability to learn.
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    The best thing to do with e-waste is try to find a buyer in your area. This should not be hard if you live in or near a larger city. Look through the buyers here on the forum to get an idea of what you should get paid for you e-waste. When you find a buyer tell him you are new to e-waste and they should tell you how they want the boards. This is how I started almost 6 years ago and I didn't have this forum to help me and if I can do it so can you, it will get easyer as you go but you won't learn it over night. I don't take much off my boards unless my buyer dosn't want it on. I take off steel, aluminum. IC chips(low grade boards only) I pull the gold finger cards, prossecors and memory to sell seprate. Hope this helps a little, best of luck and happy scrappin.

14. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by happyscraper:

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. ewaste help in SC
      By SCscrapper72 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM
    2. This is how i package my ewaste
      By chrisc in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
    3. Looking for this ewaste buyer in mo
      By kcscrapper in forum General - Let's talk business