kane333 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Unusual find in a server - Copper Heat Sink

I recently won, at auction, a load of servers. I opened 2 of them and found these Copper Heat Sinks in them. I've never seen pure copper heat sinks like this.

2. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by kane333:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    If those servers power up you should be able to sell the power supplies pretty good on ebay. Scsi controller cards sell well also. As far as the copper heatsinks go. You will find alo more pure copper ones in servers so happy hunting. Hope you got them for a good price.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

kane333 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The auction total ended up at about $276 but after premium and taxes, it ended up at a little over $320. I still kept the price per server at around $6 a piece. I haven't broke them all down yet but if each of the servers has copper heat sinks, I'm calculating the total weight in copper alone to be near 100 lbs. That's close to breaking even on heat sinks alone. There was one lot that had 45 of the smaller servers in it at this auction and the winner paid over $450 for the lot, but I'd imagine after taxes and premium, the total was well over $500. Sometimes I don't understand other peoples math. I bought mine in lots of 10 and kept my price at $5-5.50 per lot. This company is out of business so it will be near impossible to sell working units of unknown brand servers such as these.

I looked up Paxfire on Google today and found out the company had a Class Action lawsuit filed against it sometime back in 2011. Apparently, they were working with 10 ISP's such as RCN, Hughe's, Cavalier, and Frontier (Yikes, that's our ISP!), and placing a proxy server between the individual and major search engines. If a person used a search engine such as Bing or Google, and did a search for, say, "Apple or Dell", they were redirecting the persons directly to those websites, instead of listing websites to choose from. You know, when you do a search for, lets say "Scrap", usually a list of something like 300,000 websites are found for you to choose from. Well, by redirecting a person directly to the "Apple" website, after entering "Apple" into the search bar, Paxfire would be able to claim a referral fee of like $1 per user that's been redirected. That's called HiJacking. Also, when a user entered a nonexistent domain name into the URL bar of his browser, Paxfire's DNS server would direct the user to a Paxfire-sponsored page of search results rather than returning an error message. This search page would generate advertising revenue, which Paxfire would share with its ISP clients. Shady stuff involved as I read this stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kane333 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    copper heatsinks are typical for servers also are multiple cpus, that is why we pay more for them. I usually pay $10 for dual cpu tower servers. $8 each for the blade/rack units
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    The power supplies and the scsi controller cards will not be for that server only. They will have other uses. I would check the part numbers before scrapping them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Welcome to the world of servers. Copper heat sinks are very common in them. And your ram box will fill up quick!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Kane333. The 'Paxfire'. Hell, thats similar to what I heard ol' Kim Dotcom is intending to do here soon. Remove adds & replace them with his own advertising & getting $$$ from that.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Love slipknot in backgrund

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    You will find some heavy copper cpu heatsinks in some computers about 4-5yrs old...m9stly enthusiast (custom) machines. They were marketed to people who overclocked for heat dissipation. I have pulled about 3 recently.

Oh and the paxfire stuff ..many obline marketers were doing that with the old toolbars. If the company caches you doing that (replacing the cookie dtring with yours) they take all of your commissions away. Granted all depends on the company. Many other like that do what is called cookie stuffing...changing all cookies to websites they earn affiliate commissions from to their number. So say an amazon.com cookie is good for 90 days...they cange the exsisting one on your computer and you go back and buy something you saw from another website, the toolbar company gets the sale and not the origonal referrer. Many of them made HUGE amounts of mo ey doing that.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've come across very heavy heatsinks in a bunch of servers that "appear" to be aluminum (in color), but are obviously too heavy. I figured they were a type of coated copper, as other metals would not conduct the heat as well. Can anyone confirm if these are indeed copper, or what other type of metal they may be. As stated, they look just like a normal heat sink with a solid base and fins above, but the weight tells me they are something besides aluminum.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    hit it with the grinder, you will know if its plated copper or stainless or AL.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    hit it with the grinder, you will know if its plated copper or stainless or AL.
    thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it might be stainless at first, but didn't think they would use SS as it doesn't disperse heat like copper/alum. Now gotta break out the grinder. i'm hoping for copper lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shendog View Post
    I've come across very heavy heatsinks in a bunch of servers that "appear" to be aluminum (in color), but are obviously too heavy. I figured they were a type of coated copper, as other metals would not conduct the heat as well. Can anyone confirm if these are indeed copper, or what other type of metal they may be. As stated, they look just like a normal heat sink with a solid base and fins above, but the weight tells me they are something besides aluminum.
    The base is tinned copper (#2 copper value) The fins are aluminum. An air chisel with a wide straight bit will knock the fins loose in a few seconds. Well worth the time. You can verify that it is copper with a grinder or a drill bit as the coating isn't very thick. These heat sinks are fairly common in older Dell and HP servers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    this is why I love getting them at auction for $5 10 tops but I buy a lot from auctions for $5each since most have maybe a 40gb harddrive or none were I buy and love the copper my yard loves them too lol its amazing though the weight usually 1to1.5lbs I average each one and putting them in a bucket never looks like much until you go to lift it I love loading 150-200lbs in a plastic tub and seeing who at the yard can lift them like I can lol plus they resale very well usually $10each but I find them to be very slow sales vs other parts but saving 30-50 here and there to sell is fun

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by travistemple202020 View Post
    this is why I love getting them at auction for $5 10 tops but I buy a lot from auctions for $5each since most have maybe a 40gb harddrive or none were I buy and love the copper my yard loves them too lol its amazing though the weight usually 1to1.5lbs I average each one and putting them in a bucket never looks like much until you go to lift it I love loading 150-200lbs in a plastic tub and seeing who at the yard can lift them like I can lol plus they resale very well usually $10each but I find them to be very slow sales vs other parts but saving 30-50 here and there to sell is fun
    I had one great load last year of 104 servers. Each server had 2 processors and of course 2 heat sinks. Each one weighed 1 and 3/4 pound. Total copper weight per server was 3 1/2 pounds. Of course those pegs that are on them in the video have to be removed to get no. 1 bare bright copper. That was easy. I used the vice to take 2 off at a time. Once in awhile one would snap and I would have to use a punch to pop it out, but the work was quick and easy.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nothing unusual about Cu heat sinks, a lot of servers and some high end desktops have them. Still they are a nice bonus, and I'm always happy to see them.

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Should check out the blade servers... they have more copper in them .. and they are heavy...

nice video..
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    so the lot you bought were blade servers... GOD what a deal.. Those servers if running, are about 1000 dollars a piece. You have me drooling... I would love to fix one of those racks and sell them off one by one.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ravermagik View Post
    so the lot you bought were blade servers... GOD what a deal.. Those servers if running, are about 1000 dollars a piece. You have me drooling... I would love to fix one of those racks and sell them off one by one.
    Where are you seeing used blade servers for $1000 apiece?!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FLimits for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @kane333: Hey, what are the model numbers on those Sun machines (starting around 5:45 on the video)? You might be able to resell those as is for better than scrap value.

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. CPU Heat Sink
      By Racer997 in forum Batteries, Capacitors, Heat Sinks
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM
    2. Large Aluminium Heat sink
      By timy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM
    3. funkiest heat sink i've ever seen
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 13