Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Brother has arived

| Scrap Metal Prices
    Copper Head started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 516 Posts

Big Brother has arived

Well 2013 might as well be out of a movie .The yard I frequent has a Kick A** system
    starts off like this you pull in at the weigh station and a picture of your car with you in it . Weigh out more pics. Then off to precious metal area to weigh your copper brass aluminum - Pictures of each item kept under your account with your license when your done a receipt of all your transactions .
    easy to see the future
    1) 1099 forms
    2) IRS can know your amount of earnings
    3) Pictures of material that needs explanation on how you have it like CU #2 from vacuum cords or xmas lites AC exchangers A/C compressors
    How about wire with residual asbestos on it '
    4) Each picture is future Incrimination
    The good is people who steel will get caught and now the yards have to weigh correct But yes big brother will see the true value of all we sell.

Last edited by Copper Head; 02-02-2013 at 09:23 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Head View Post
    Well 2013 might as well be out of a movie .The yard I frequent has a Kick A** system
    starts off like this you pull in at the weigh station and a picture of your car with you in it . Weigh out more pics. Then off to precious metal area to weigh your copper brass aluminum - Pictures of each item kept under your account with your license when your done a receipt of all your transactions .
    easy to see the future
    1) 1099 forms
    3) Pictures of material that needs explanation on how you have it like CU #2 from vacuum cords or xmas lites AC exchangers A/C compressors
    The good is people who steel will get caught and now the yards all have to weigh correct But yes big brother will see the true value of all we sell.
    We may need to start getting receipts when we shop at CurbCo.

3. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by MattInTheHat:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    How about a scrapper gets a complaint from a neighbor about strange odors a day later are pictures of your efforts - talk about a time line
    Last edited by Copper Head; 02-02-2013 at 02:26 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    How about a scrapper gets a complaint from a neighbor about strange odors a day later is picture of your efforts
    stop eating chili

6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by MattInTheHat:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All jokes aside , 2 years from now I bet any scrap from sources that can be construed as not legal will cease

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We have a system that sounds very similar to that at our yard. So far it is strictly to help prevent theft, but obviously there is potential for what you are talking about in the future if that's what lawmakers decide. Either way, if a scrapyard was asked to produce records of how much material somebody bought them, they would have to do it whether they were computerized or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SikoraMetals for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The possibly of producing records of the past was lots of work, Now enter your name and BAM.Heck the IRS wont even have to show up . All that is needed is a File email report. Heck i am small potatos but I did like the privacy .
    This must be why my yard has become very strict to true metal content they bust chops on what used to pass NOW they tell you metal only for mix !! about 3% plastic or wood will pass they used to over look 25% non metal . They are taking film pics of you as you un load

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 529 Posts
    Get yourself a melt furnace, and melt everything then cast into bars, then Big Brother cannot tell where it came from, or how much it weighs or even it's real metal composition. They could take all the pictures they want, and it wouldn't give them any information at all.

Maybe if the Politicians, instead of throwing money at the results of a bad economy, instead spent those same funds on funding projects that would create jobs, people wouldn't need to steel metal and sell it as scrap to survive. I don't think we need cameras, we never did in the past. I think we need to fix the job market instead.

If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Scott
    At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

12. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by NobleMetalWorks:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    what kind of prices are you getting at that yard. Just curious to see if all those measures are costing the yard (raising the entire scrap price) or just costing the first tier seller. (you and me)
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yesterday prices as such - short $289 gt mix $ 232 gt Copper Bearing .010 a pound (that went down .05)
    yellow brass $ 1.56 #2 copper $2.76 ( that went up .10 )
    What also I wonder is, will each customer have a automatic pay out amount - based on yard factors - like some customers can now be a part of a tier system , like credit.
    Did i mention even the money paid out is a automatic cash machine for sure they will need less counter people

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    These things have been in place at all three of the yards I use for years. Pic. ID, photos comming and going, finger prints, signed statement that you are the rightfull owner ect. I of the yards I use put a barcode on the winsheild of my truck and if i'm going to sell nonfurrus they just scan the barcode and the guy at the scale knows your comming in and he already has me on his computer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think my yard cut the price on copper bearing to pay for the new system as another yard is .17 still & now CB is .10 same as mix .10 How can CB not have more value then mix . Copper is strong & electric motors are strong CB should be at least .15

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    electric motors are $480 ton here, 24 cents pound

http://kcscrapyard.com/wp-content/up...cmobilepricing
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    .27 a pound motors

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The bad guys have ruined it for the good guys... That is where a lot of this has come from. The crack heads and the heroin heads will steal and scrap anything they can find. This is an effort to combat that but I hate it as well. My yard records license plate into the computer but not too much more.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NJSouth for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    easy to see the future
    1) 1099 forms
    The good is people who steel will get caught and now the yards have to weigh correct But yes big brother will see the true value of all we sell.

not only do i have to do all of the above if i buy from the public, but when i close the receipt, (when i write you the check), that transaction is transmitted to the state. the state knows what you sold before you are off the premises.

i can not buy certain materials if you can not show how you acquired them. you must be a licensed contractor for certain materials or i can not buy them.

the legislature is discussing a hold period prior to a check being mailed for material.

i can no longer buy certain material if you have an out of state driver license or tag. unless you are a registered dealer with this state.

if the items i buy are stolen, i lose the items. very little recourse. the person who steals normally has very little money or assets. not going to be sending a check from prison. my insurance only covers 80% of what i paid. not what it would have been worth.

tis the reason i quit buying common scrap from the public.

this will only get worse.

not the first time i have posted this.

in 5 years, or less, there will be very few 'scrappers' left. with all of the new regulations, licenses and bond requirements, there will be very few who will be able to afford to stay in the business.

without all of the necessary paper work, no one will be willing to buy that material.

wait till the feds get done. electronic recycling is going to be a nightmare. they want to classify all of it as hazardous. think of all the money the govt is going to generate.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rbrooks715 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My yard has also been doing this for years. It is done more to prevent theft than to throw our customers under Uncle Sam's bus. Now when we come across stolen material we just hand the cops a gift wrapped case.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts
    The new rules about regulated materials,are from all the local politicians getting the heat from churches and community groups that have had there a/c units and different things stolen from them, they had to do something.I actually think that in the long run it will benefit the legit recyclers and scrappers.Lets face it our industry has a hazzy reputation.I am all for getting the crack/drug heads out of the scrap game if they can't sell it they won't steal it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    2 years from now I bet any scrap from sources that can be construed as not legal will cease
    ill take that bet

when base metals go up in price we going to see a massive increase in theft, plus another ton of people losing there jobs this year from the retail and government sectors putting more strain on an already weakened economic system, people with no jobs are going to find a way to make money, tighter regs arnt enough to stop the massive influx

i see an increasing amount of crime and civil unrest ahead of us
    Last edited by jghilino; 03-04-2013 at 06:13 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Big brother has already been in effect for years...this year i have grossed over $600,000.00....in sales so every week when i get a check the IRS is notified because they are over 10 grand..You just havent had enough for them to worry bout ya!

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Great find the other night. Big big score.
      By dunson3963 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM
    2. Doing it BIG!
      By gamedayron in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
    3. Big tv
      By Motörhead in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM
    4. New guy and his brother from Michigan