ilyaz started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

ebay: trying to figure out best way to ship beyond CONUS

I've asked this question on one of the eBay community forums but did not get much useful info.

Up until now, I've only sold on eBay in the 48 states. That is, I do not ship to Alaska, Hawaii, foreign locations etc. I usually offer free shipping and then include the shipping cost in the starting price. A lot of what I ship is computer/electronic components which are too big for any sort of flat rate box, so I usually use USPS Parcel Post or FedEx ground.

I am thinking about expanding beyond the 48 CONUS states. For starters considering AL/HI and Canada. So some question to those of you who have sold bigger computer/electronic items on eBay.

1. Does it even make sense? That is, when you sold stuff, did you get many buyers from AL/HI, Canada and/or other foreign locations (So America, Europe, Asia)? AL, HI don't seem to me to be huge computer equipment markets, where we are talking about vintage or newer equipment. But I might be wrong. With places like Europe you have the issue of 220 vs 110v but maybe it's not such an issue after all. And of course, the shipping cost...
    2. How do you set up shipping in your auctions? Flat rate to some locations, variable to others? Something else?
    3. How do you handle insurance, tracking etc when you ship internationally? Canada any different from places farther away?

Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilyaz for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    I flat refuse to ship overseas unless they want to pay express rate shipping. That way they have to sign for it and its totaly trackable. I only sell the small stuff so not sure when your talking about 40 pound box. I would think fedex would be your best bet on that one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    I have shipped to McMurdo, its a multinational research station/city located in Antarctica. It was a first class parcel costing $2. I ship to other countries all the time. free shipping to continental 48,actual shipping cost must be paid on anything outside the continental 48
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    I shipped fairly well worldwide, but it's been awhile. I may have left out Africa, but mostly included Asia, Australia, Europe, South America. Never really had many problems, no more than right here in the good ol US of A, but things change, not sure how it would be now. It can be a bit more paperwork, usually there's at least a customs form, but it never bothered me much. It can also take a bit more study, but I used only USPS for overseas, so at least I only needed do my searching on one site. Canada I might use UPS or FedEx(think it was mostly UPS I used at that time). I shipped one palletized item to Vancouver BC once, but used a freight carrier I'd used numerous times already in the states. I mostly sold computer parts and laptops, but sometimes had office equipment etc.
    One of the first packages overseas went to Taiwan. The guy wanted economy, so it went ground, and ground when it reaches the shore, goes onto a ship (I'd anticipated a plane, but nope), so we both waited anxiously almost 8 weeks until it finally arrived. He turned into a regular customer, but began opting for more expeditious shipping rates.
    Once I listed some type of medical monitor, around the size of a small CCTV monitor, or maybe a bit larger. A man in Ukraine needed it badly and won the bidding. Neither FedEx or UPS serviced Ukraine so it only left shipping it with USPS. I figured it all up online, sent him an invoice, which he paid with a Western Union wire transfer. I had thoughts about dropping it off at the Post Office first, but opted to pick up the money first. When I got to the PO it hit a snag, there were strict package size limits to Ukraine, and this package was ever so slightly over. I was totally unable to ship it. I sent him a full refund, and we each had to eat one Western Union wire transfer.
    Far as the money goes, I was well ahead over all by choosing to ship worldwide. Overall as well, there were few headaches involved once I got started and learned the ropes. Far as unpleasant surprises went, I had far more here at home, than overseas

I figured shipping each time on an individual basis, but then, I wasn't shipping the same thing everywhere
    Last edited by Bear; 01-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jghilino View Post
    I have shipped to McMurdo, its a multinational research station/city located in Antarctica. It was a first class parcel costing $2. I ship to other countries all the time. free shipping to continental 48,actual shipping cost must be paid on anything outside the continental 48
    Have you shipped big stuff? Used carriers other than USPS?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaz View Post
    Have you shipped big stuff? Used carriers other than USPS?
    i sent a 5.9L motor with transmission to the domincan republic, the buyer paid $2500 to cover the crating and shipping

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 514 Posts
    If you are shipping USPS makes no sense to ship to lower 48 only
    You are on the East Coast
    Your most expensive shipping is a zone 8
    90210 is in California >> A zone 8
    Would cost you the same to ship the item to North Pole Alaska 99705, Honolulu Hawaii 96813 and Yigo Guam 96929

And the fact you live on the lower East Coast 20850
    Shipping to San Juan Puerto Rico 00901 would be cheaper then shipping the same package to California

If you are offering FREE shipping and shipping with USPS
    Take the cost to ship to zone 8 (90210) and add to the start price
    Then you can ship to all 50 States and the Territories

If you are shipping UPS, FedEx or DHL
    Then you need to use Calculated shipping and have a surcharge for Alaska, Hawaii and the territories

For International,
    Use Calculated shipping

Be sure to get a form of online viewable Signature Confirmation if TOTAL Price is $250.00 USD or greater for PayPal/eBay Seller protection

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also dont forget APO and FPO for any Military customers, they are either NYC or LA for postage, just have to fill out a customs form.
    My fortune cookie said:
    You discover treasures where others see nothing unusual.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to brandon for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Also dont forget APO and FPO for any Military customers, they are either NYC or LA for postage, just have to fill out a customs form.
    You can print postage labels for any package at PayPal.com/shipnow
    and the customs forms will print as part of the label

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC4X4 for This Post:

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC4X4 View Post
    If you are shipping USPS makes no sense to ship to lower 48 only
    You are on the East Coast
    Your most expensive shipping is a zone 8
    90210 is in California >> A zone 8
    Would cost you the same to ship the item to North Pole Alaska 99705, Honolulu Hawaii 96813 and Yigo Guam 96929

And the fact you live on the lower East Coast 20850
    Shipping to San Juan Puerto Rico 00901 would be cheaper then shipping the same package to California

If you are offering FREE shipping and shipping with USPS
    Take the cost to ship to zone 8 (90210) and add to the start price
    Then you can ship to all 50 States and the Territories

If you are shipping UPS, FedEx or DHL
    Then you need to use Calculated shipping and have a surcharge for Alaska, Hawaii and the territories

For International,
    Use Calculated shipping

Be sure to get a form of online viewable Signature Confirmation if TOTAL Price is $250.00 USD or greater for PayPal/eBay Seller protection
    Exactly, the farthest zone calculated into the price.

I do worldwide and have no regrets, I never require a signature from the recipient.

On many occasions had to crate an item then run the crate 50 miles into Brandon which turns into a visit to Princess Auto a junk store similar to Harbour Freight.

Shipping to Canada is a very wise decision, we live in a great country but lack many of the things you Americans take for granted and very often purchase much cheaper than we can if we can find what were looking for.

This is why so many sellers on ebay sell cheap 10" carbide saw blades and router bits to name a few.

Last 12 inch blade I purchased I paid $110.00 for a generic brand.

If you going to make your buyers sign for delivery you can count me out, our super mail box is 5 minutes from the house but it takes me an hour to drive into town to sign for a $5.00 package - nah.

I sell my gold and silver on ebay, never require a signature and never had anyone claim non receipt of goods. In fact you never hear another peep from precious metals buyers not so much too leave you feedback The silent buyers.
    Last edited by gustavus; 01-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavus for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavus View Post
    a junk store similar to Harbour Freight.
    haha!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    gustavus, the list of items you sell is impressive from refined gold/silver to vintage electronics to tractor literature

i ship to and buy items from canada frequently, for some reason its usually circuit breakers

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Alaska is AK not AL.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    OK so I am going to try to sell a harddrive which fits into a small flat rate box and I am not going to exclude any location. I am in the process of setting up my auction. Under "intl shipping", I selected "worldwide" for "ship to". Then I picked "USPS priority mail international flat rate box" under "services". Should I offer other options like UPS?

I have an option of Canada as a separate destination: is some specific shipping option best for Canada for small packages?

By the way, I am curious why it's not offering any FedEx services.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    OK so I am going to try to sell a harddrive which fits into a small flat rate box and I am not going to exclude any location. I am in the process of setting up my auction. Under "intl shipping", I selected "worldwide" for "ship to". Then I picked "USPS priority mail international flat rate box" under "services". Should I offer other options like UPS?

I have an option of Canada as a separate destination: is some specific shipping option best for Canada for small packages?

If you are selling on ebay and using there shipping/label system you are getting discounted fedex shiping and they ship everywhere in the world.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I would slip the Small Flat Rate Box into the Flat Rate Envelope
    It's cheaper to ship that way

Be aware that Priority Small Flat Rate box and the FRE > Flat Rate Envelope max weight is 4 pounds and they are treated as First Class International
    So there is no tracking information for proof of delivery against a false INR claim if using PayPal/eBay

I have never had a problem / lost International package
    But not sure I would want to send more then I was willing to lose
    My range is about 200

When shipping USA to Canada I recommend to NOT use Ups Ground or FedEx Ground
    As the receiver can get stuck paying BIG time brokerage fees

25. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by JohnC4X4:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC4X4 View Post
    I would slip the Small Flat Rate Box into the Flat Rate Envelope
    It's cheaper to ship that way

Be aware that Priority Small Flat Rate box and the FRE > Flat Rate Envelope max weight is 4 pounds and they are treated as First Class International
    So there is no tracking information for proof of delivery against a false INR claim if using PayPal/eBay

I have never had a problem / lost International package
    But not sure I would want to send more then I was willing to lose
    My range is about 200

When shipping USA to Canada I recommend to NOT use Ups Ground or FedEx Ground
    As the receiver can get stuck paying BIG time brokerage fees
    Weight restrictions for domestic Express Mail and Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes are 70 pounds.

Weight restrictions for Priority Mail International are 4 pounds for the Flat Rate Envelopes, Small Flat Rate Box, and DVD Box and Large Video Box; 20 pounds for the Medium Flat Rate Boxes and the Large Flat Rate Box.

so on the flat rate envelope its good for 70 pounds domestic or 4 pounds international. medium and large flat rate boxes are capped at 20 pounds for international shipping.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

28. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. I can't figure out what this is!!!
      By rca987 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
    2. His Ship Came In!
      By mrbillbus in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
    3. Best way to ship boards
      By mikeinreco in forum General Electronics Recycling