sledge started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts

Not Cool Vehicle for Sale Prank on a Guy on CL

Well, I knew as soon as I saw it that it was too good to be true, but I called it anyway. Guy was really polite and said "Nope, sorry some of my buddies put the ad up on me.. but hey- I would have called too" I wished him a Merry Christmas and apologized for being one of hundreds of phone calls he got in the last two hours or so. Here is the original ad, as I flagged it to hopefully facilitate ending the barrage of calls to the guy!

Junkers Att Goin Out of Business I Have Over 30 Cars 4 Sale - $150 (Anderson)
    Date: 2012-12-23, 4:43PM EST
    Reply to: see below
    I'm goin out of business cause I can't manage my money right. Have over 30 cars for sale come get them 150 a piece with titles. Need to sell today, all must go. Call anytime 765/XXX/XXXX Name Jimmy The Jew

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by sledge:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I see posts like these from time to time in Cincinnati.

They get much worse.

I've seen posts were people that are unhappy with their neighbors post adds for "free items" left on the porch, no need to call, email or knock, just take any item on the porch you want, they are getting rid of them for free. Soon afterwards you often see a post saying please don't "steal" things from our porch.

Unless an item is left curbside I always pass if I can't contact the owner.

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Phantoms001:

sledge started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Holy crap.. can't say for certain I've seen that.. I see the "no need to call, email or knock, just take any item on the porch you want" type line quite a bit in ads, makes me think twice if I see them now!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I had a bit of a reversed, a guy wanted me to Western Union money to a third party for him to sell and ship a truck, here's what I sent to them.....

"Western Union is NOT an authorized form of payment for "Ebay transactions." On top of that, Ebay VPP is only availble for transactions that originate and complete on Ebay. To add to all that, among the pictures you sent to me were THE SAME pictures that were used to advertise a "different" 2003 Nissan frontier on the same site. I kindly ask you to screw off, you scamming sack of crap, I hope you pass out drunk and some fat guy craps in your mouth while taking pictures to send to your family, if you even have a decent family. You're most likely the bastard child of a slatternly welfare rat of a mother and a dope slinging ex-con who prostitute themselves to get money for their next hit of meth."

A different guy pretended to be an Army Sergeant who was Combat Medic... That torked me off even more, so I won't post that reply on here. I haven't heard back from either one... go figure. :-P

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannabemechanic for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post
    I had a bit of a reversed, a guy wanted me to Western Union money to a third party for him to sell and ship a truck, here's what I sent to them.....

"Western Union is NOT an authorized form of payment for "Ebay transactions." On top of that, Ebay VPP is only availble for transactions that originate and complete on Ebay. To add to all that, among the pictures you sent to me were THE SAME pictures that were used to advertise a "different" 2003 Nissan frontier on the same site. I kindly ask you to screw off, you scamming sack of crap, I hope you pass out drunk and some fat guy craps in your mouth while taking pictures to send to your family, if you even have a decent family. You're most likely the bastard child of a slatternly welfare rat of a mother and a dope slinging ex-con who prostitute themselves to get money for their next hit of meth."
    That's a great scam. I had one guy send me A REAL bank of America bank check for a 4 wheeler I was selling. Long story short I did not cash it but the scam is you deposit the check in your account and then wire some amount to have the vehicle shipped. In about 2 days the bank calls and says the check was no good and you owe them x amount that you wired off. So how did they get the check? Stolen. BOA confirmed it was a real check. If people worked honestly as hard as they work to steal they wouldn't have to.

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by slaghunter:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge42 View Post
    Holy crap.. can't say for certain I've seen that.. I see the "no need to call, email or knock, just take any item on the porch you want" type line quite a bit in ads, makes me think twice if I see them now!
    My wife thought it was pretty funny when I showed her the posts but it really makes me hesitant.

I saw it happen 2x this year. For a couple dollars of items, it's just not worth the risk. I'll agree, these people didn't live in Anderson, they lived in Hamilton, but I'm a lot more comfortable picking things set curbside.

In Ohio where I sell my scrap, the yards get a list from the police of people involved with theft. If you get on this "no scrap" list you can't sell to the yards. If I'm not 100% sure something is trash, I will pass it by without a second thought. When the cops check the yards for stolen material and you are the one that sold it, you are done.

Next time I see one of these adds I'll post it in the forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantoms001 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There was a story in the news where someone was moving and they posted a Craigslist ad, "free stuff, take anything you want" which they meant the stuff on the driveway, but people actually broke into the house and started taking their personal stuff thinking that the ad really meant ANYTHING.

Foreclosed family watches helplessly as craigslist crowds strip house bare | 11alive.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabemechanic View Post

A different guy pretended to be an Army Sergeant who was Combat Medic... That torked me off even more, so I won't post that reply on here. I haven't heard back from either one... go figure. :-P
    The military gets quite upset when people pretend to be soldiers. next time, try to find some way to turn the infor over to the MP's

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MattInTheHat for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms001 View Post
    I see posts like these from time to time in Cincinnati.

They get much worse.

I've seen posts were people that are unhappy with their neighbors post adds for "free items" left on the porch, no need to call, email or knock, just take any item on the porch you want, they are getting rid of them for free. Soon afterwards you often see a post saying please don't "steal" things from our porch.

Unless an item is left curbside I always pass if I can't contact the owner.

Yeah, I see those all the time, too. Sometimes it seems like a sweet load, but if I see the "don't email, call, or knock" then it makes me wonder if it's not just some neighbor trying to be a jerk, or something.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have seen adds that say house getting forclosed take anything not bolted down. Then a comment about not being there but door not locked.
    When it does not sound right I just pass. Way to many people posting things that are not real on criagslist.

17. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. First Cool Board
      By Phantoms001 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
    2. A cool find last night!
      By Ace in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
    3. How friggin cool is this?
      By newattitude in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 17