andrew1990 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Finally got rid of that big box of cd drives and floppies, more than I thought.

After I took the boards of the CD/DVD rom drives, I pretty much threw the remaining bits along with floppies in a box. Been sitting in my house for a week and finally decided to bring them in to try and get shred price for them.

Well my yard pays electric motor price for them! $0.30/LBs. So instead of getting $3 for 30LBs of them, I got $9!

Now I will be saving them all as they are a lot of worthless weight I thought.

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by andrew1990:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    check the floppy drive bodies some will be cast aluminum....i would take .30# for them all day if i could get it.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    break the floppy drive connectors off before scrapping them, the gold plated pins on floppy drive connectors are easily processed with basic hand tools and the connecters will go $2 per pound as is or $100 per pound for the processed gold plated pins.

andrew1990 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I know I forgot to do something, lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've had one of those boxes in the form of a 55 gal drum for about a year that I keep putting off, and it just gets bigger
    Garbage keyboards > spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɐqǝ

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wow! $.30/# with the board removed is a great price, my yard pays shred for the stuff. If I'm not mistaken that might be more than buyers/sellers price with board on!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    One of the buyers on here is paying 32 cents per pound. I will say though that if you can find a buyer in the 20-30 range that will take the drives without boards or with the gold connectors broke off you will do quite well on floppies. There are buyers now that pay $4 plus for cd rom drive boards. Some buyers will pay hard drive board price for cleaned cd rom drive boards.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jghilino View Post
    Some buyers will pay hard drive board price for cleaned cd rom drive boards.
    Who? And what do you mean by cleaned? They seem clean already.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ulver44 View Post
    Who? And what do you mean by cleaned? They seem clean already.
    Ewasted has the following listed on his thread. Thats why we recommend checking out our member/buyers threads for guidance on pricing. As you can see he pays the same for cd/dvd boards as he does for motherboards.

Cleaned means as in copper with out other materials, Al without other material. If you had a Al ladder with some steel screws in it then it would be dirty Al not clean Al. In reference to the boards from cd/dvd's they are clean when you remove them from the players themselves. I hope this is helpful. You will find that the more you read the old threads the more you will understand. Best of luck Mile.
    Last edited by Mick; 11-12-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: price list posted on general forum
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    Ewasted has the following listed on his thread. Thats why we recommend checking out our member/buyers threads for guidance on pricing. As you can see he pays the same for cd/dvd boards as he does for motherboards.

Cleaned means as in copper with out other materials, Al without other material. If you had a Al ladder with some steel screws in it then it would be dirty Al not clean Al. In reference to the boards from cd/dvd's they are clean when you remove them from the players themselves. I hope this is helpful. You will find that the more you read the old threads the more you will understand. Best of luck Mile.
    Thanks, but I rarely see any Al or steel to be removed on optical drive boards. I was asking about where he said "Some buyers will pay hard drive board price for cleaned cd rom drive boards." I have never heard of anyone paying hard drive board price for optical drive boards regardless of what is removed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ulver44 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I also have a buyer that pays 0.25/lb for floppy/cd/dvd drives with the boards removed. He also takes fans and a few other items for the same price, classified as "electrical breakage".

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    I was about to start breaking down a pile of CD/DVD and floppy drives when I realized my cordless drill batteries were both dead, so I stuck one in the charger and set down to check new posts, cool! I thought when this thread shows up, then i realized it's 6 months old ; ) I wonder if there's anything on tv haha

16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Scrapping Hard Drives/cd/dvd drives?
      By dustmuffin in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:41 AM
    2. How to get rid of scrap without getting robbed?
      By 250man in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
    3. Missouri - Get Rid of Your Junk NOW - Near Kansas City
      By tport17 in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-11-2010, 02:26 AM

Thread Information