Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Diablosvr started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Srapping a vehicle with no title in Florida?

So I read that it is against the law to scrap a vehicle with no title in FL.

However, I see TONS of ads that say No Title - No Problem.

Anyone know how they are doing this and legality of it?

The place that I plan to take vehicles to says they require a title.

I had someone this morning with a 91 Chevy astro mini van, but no
    title. Had to tell him I couldn't do it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Cut the vehicle up in pieces and then it's not a vehicle any more. It would bring more money if you have the time to totally strip the vehicle of wire, take the engine out and recover all non-ferrous items, separate the CAT, etc. Just a thought.
    A veteran, whether reserve, active or retired is a person who has written a check to the United States up to and including the payment of his life for the freedoms we take for granted!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    depends on the state some you have to have title reguardless, but the ones ive bought without titles in the past i have had to atleast cut the car in half before the yard would take it, they said its not a car after the frame and body had been cut in half, luckily im within 100 miles of 4 diff states so finding a yard with more lenient rules is not an issue

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts
    In Ohio by me, I asked about this once and if its cut up I wouldn't need a title, if its whole you need a title. same with campers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I dont condone illegal activities. Already got my ass handed to me by admin on a similar question once..lol. But I will say this. Tread lightly. There is free websites that will run the vin. MAKE SURE ITS NOT STOLEN!! If it aint and you have a bill of sale, then grab the sawzall and cut it in half. Now it can go in shred without a title. Unless you have friends like me who will take it without no title and not cut i half....!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm going to have to look into it further. Just don't want to get into any legal trouble. But assuming all I have to do is cut it up, what is the best tool(s) to do the job the quickest. I've never cut a car into pieces.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sawzall 14 tpi blade, done in 5 mins. One shot through roof, then another through through the floor and door sills. Done, now in half in 5 mins or less. Research me. I have a post up where I cut up a first gen firebird in half lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    So here is the deal. The van has never been titled in his name, but he has bill of sale. His friend gave him the van because he didn't have a place to store it. Says it's $80 to get replacement title, but he doesn't have the money.

So I'm thinking I will find out the following...Is his friend still around, what's his name and vin number. Then track everything backwards and verify that it's his to sell.

The guy doesn't seem to be in any rush to sell, because I told him to try calling an ad that says no title is OK and he never did it.

I get $240 ton, van is like 3800. I will start with $200 offer to buy if I can verify.

Sound like a plan?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
    Sawzall 14 tpi blade, done in 5 mins. One shot through roof, then another through through the floor and door sills. Done, now in half in 5 mins or less. Research me. I have a post up where I cut up a first gen firebird in half lol
    Very cool.

Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Bill of Sale that is not notarized is worthless.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Bill of Sale that is not notarized is worthless.
    This is starting to sound like it's not worth my time.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry boss there really is only one legal way you can do it. The only way you will get rid of it is by finding a salvage yard that is willing buy it by a derelict title. If you do they will probably only give you a 100 bucks for it because of the risk they take. It doesn't matter if you have a bill of sale notarized or not because it is illegal for us to take it. If someone is will to do a derelict they are going to need a copy of your license and your finger prints and the car must be at least 10 years old. if the car is titled out of state you might as well not mess with it because law enforcement will have to come out and verify the vin before they will take it and if it's stolen and your there with it. Well, you can go ahead and guess what is gonna happen

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by windsorauto View Post
    Sorry boss there really is only one legal way you can do it. The only way you will get rid of it is by finding a salvage yard that is willing buy it by a derelict title. If you do they will probably only give you a 100 bucks for it because of the risk they take. It doesn't matter if you have a bill of sale notarized or not because it is illegal for us to take it. If someone is will to do a derelict they are going to need a copy of your license and your finger prints and the car must be at least 10 years old. if the car is titled out of state you might as well not mess with it because law enforcement will have to come out and verify the vin before they will take it and if it's stolen and your there with it. Well, you can go ahead and guess what is gonna happen
    I was hoping someone from FL would reply that knew the answer.

At least I know now how everyone is doing it. I will look into finding a yard that accepts derelict titles, so I at least have it as an option. I did a google search and found the form.

BIG THANKS!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    So the original place I planned to take vehicles to will accept with derelict form. They don't pay any less per 100 lbs, but charge a $15 fee per vehicle. The only catch is that there can be no lien on the title. So I need a way to check that before I pay for it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nebraska is only $14 for a duplicate title. The only good a bill of sale is for the the state to get tax money. You can also get a salvage title; but, it is a bit more complicated.

What are the VIN check websites?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The free vin check sites I have found so far just tell you the basic info of what the vehicle is. No owner/lien info.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    diablo i buy alot of cars i honestly would run from this one unless you have police run the vehcile vin AND plates for a owner search and THAT person signs off on it i would run. i have a friend who does repo and junk cars in tampa (Cj's towing) basically when he gets cars with no titiels he takes the regitration/insurance and had the owner sign of on a waiver then he gives it all to the yard

problem is no last owner signed or waiver you can be in deep ****

Fwiwi across the board cutting up any vehicle just to scrap is genreally not a good idea in the eyes of the law while the yard may take it if it ever didi come up stolen/ had any other encumbrances against it and it comes back to You you can and will be held liable for the value of any and all damages arrising from the destruction. hence the yard says not a car any more.
    Liberty Towing & Recycling
    (732)279-8599
    Cleaning up NJ 1 LB at a time!
    Certified Mobile Scales
    Fully Insured Carrier usdot # 1802487
    WWW.LibertyTowing.Webs.Com
    WWW.TRRecycles.Webs.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Liberty...That's my plan. Verify the seller is the owner and no liens. If I can't, I will pass.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablosvr View Post
    So here is the deal. The van has never been titled in his name, but he has bill of sale. His friend gave him the van because he didn't have a place to store it. Says it's $80 to get replacement title, but he doesn't have the money.
    so the titlte is lost and never been in his name honestly i think you are chasing your tail if it were me i"ld either make hinm waiver up and junk it or run because it may come back to bite you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertytow View Post
    so the titlte is lost and never been in his name honestly i think you are chasing your tail if it were me i"ld either make hinm waiver up and junk it or run because it may come back to bite you.
    I already passed on that deal. It was just what go me started on the no title issue.

21. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Massachusetts - CasH paid Junk Cars/Trucks > No Keys? > No Title? >> NO PROBLEM if 10 years old
      By JohnC4X4 in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-25-2018, 06:51 PM
    2. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
    3. Title transfer?
      By trenthunsberger215 in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-25-2012, 02:04 AM
    4. UPDATE: Utility Trailer with now title...
      By NoMoreScrapLeft in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
    5. Tandem axle trailer with no title
      By NoMoreScrapLeft in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 61
      Last Post: 01-08-2012, 04:23 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information