Does anyone charge for pickups?

| General - Let's talk business
    MvPElectronicRecycling started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Does anyone charge for pickups?

Im thinking about doing a set price for printers, copiers, crts, and other odd and ends.
    But in return ill buy computers and laptops. The costs will get offset if they have materials i buy and come off my buying of there items. Ive seen companies charge for pickups $8.50 each for laptops, $8.00 for desktops. $2.00 to shred a drive.

Or should we charge to pickup all? Just wondering others thoughts

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by MvPElectronicRecycling:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I wish you luck.......If you live in a rich part of town maybe but around here I have to pay for almost everything I get...........To get any quanity and steadily you must pay for material (in my opinion)...........Spent 1300 today on computers and electronics for scrap and resale........This way I have plenty to work on and always make good money

4. The Following 9 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Most of my pickups include multiple items...not 21 towers..so yea charge a decent fee to dispose..ask for a list of everything they have...consider dump fees..ive had numerous pickups where they have tried to make me take trash for free...straight garbage equals cash outa their pockets..i charge for everything but towers n straight scrap(close to home)

If you are only accepting electronics, offer a free pickup... They try n stick ya, CHARGE EM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scrappy888 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    I think alot depends on your area as far as if the dump charges a disposal fee. If it does, charge them half or 3/4 of what it would cost them to dump it themselves. Make sure you tell them they are also saving them their labor,time and gas. Around here there are no fees and like Mike said to get that steady customer a little money goes a long way.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by BRASSCATCHER:

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Well here the thing its a balance.. If You've to pay to get the goodies then yes... but dont' stab them in the heart with a

heafty bill... yah know 10 buck or 15 bucks within so many miles.. be a bit.. you know.. easy.. they may have you come back

for some more. but if You're getting it for free.. Bite Your lips.. run git it.. and thank them up and down... Read My story on

Bling Bling ..

10. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by pcscrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    My only "real" competition always charges for every pick-up. I have taken nearly all their customers in my town b/c I pick-up for free. I have picked up 100's of computers and I have only started advertising just a couple months ago. I get so much business right now it is almost overwhelming! I have paid for ewaste only twice.... and I made sure I could at least double what I paid. I know alot of you pay for stuff and thats fine for you.... but to say that you need to pay to play..... or to be in the "big leagues".... just does not seem to make much sense to me...... Which should go w/o saying.... Know your territory. Learn your competition, what they are doing, learn to gauge how much your customers actually know about ewaste and make your plans based around that knowledge.

i also only charge for broken crt's or out of county pick-ups. But it's by load, not by product or by pounds. I like to keep it very simple.

Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.
    Last edited by Hypoman; 09-13-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

12. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by Hypoman:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    What really helped you was all the free advertising from the letter or article you submitted to the newspaper.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Very true Mike, very true.

Outside of dumb luck, the number one way serial killers are caught is through the help of the public.

Pat Brown

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    My only "real" competition always charges for every pick-up. I have taken nearly all their customers in my town b/c I pick-up for free. I have have picked up 100's of computers and I have only started advertising just a couple months ago. I get so much business right now it is almost overwhelming! I have paid for ewaste only twice.... and I made sure I could at least double what I paid. I know alot of you pay for stuff and thats fine for you.... but to say that you need to pay to play..... or to be in the "big leagues".... just does not seem to make much sense to me...... Which should go w/o saying.... Know your territory. Learn your competition, what they are doing, learn to gauge how much your customers actually know about ewaste and make your plans based around that knowledge.

i also only charge for broken crt's or out of county pick-ups. But it's by load, not by product or by pounds. I like to keep it very simple.

Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.

Like a boss! Good way of putting it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kochy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    Just checked this morning With 877-we buy scrap. According to what they told me they charge $150 for a pickup.
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BurlyGuys for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Im thinking about changing over to charging for all pickups. I currently pickup appliances, metal, ewaste, clothing/shoes for free and give quotes on trash removal. The free model has its benefits mainly that it gets your foot in the door, customers see you have the equipment/skills and do a good job so they call you again and hopefully pay you for a trash removal job. The drawback is that sometimes people get the wrong impression about your service and view it more as a charity. If you pick something up for free the customer feels that they are doing you a favor and dont value your labor, gas, time, etc.. Sometimes it is totally worth it to pick for free and other time it is not. Sometimes customers want a discount on trash removal because they are giving you recyclables.

I know if I start charging for everything I will loose many of one type of customer (the customers that are attracted to the free pickup) but, I might gain a new type of customer (a customer that wants to pay and get the job done professionally). I want to bump up my professional game by accepting credit card payments (just got setup today), revising my ads, upgrading uniform, insurance and build a website. My theory is that a lot of businesses and residential people that have money and want to spend on junk removal, dont go to the free pickup ads because perhaps they think the quality of the service isnt as good as the companies that charge. And its weird, when I charge people for additional services they seem to respect me more than if I just did it for free. Its weird you are respected and you get paid for the labor.

Has anyone gone from a partial free pricing model to a pricing model where you charge for everything? If so how did it work out for you?

22. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mrsamsonite:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I don't charge for pickups, mainly cause I don't take anything but metal and electronics. I pay for some things, like computers, cell phones, etc.

I don't blame anyone who does tho. I think 150 bucks is a tad much but hey..obviously people will pay it for that company Burly mentioned likely wouldn't be doing so well. I know down here it wouldn't fly unless you were moving a lot of trash/clean outs/etc. For normal scrap tho..I'll keep doing free pick ups. Plus I work with a lot of thrift stores, so its in my interest to help them out with free pick ups an the like.

Now if I ever showed up for a pick up an the option was there for a clean out or to haul things to the dump, then I would put a fee on it, as that costs me more then just time an gas. I do that on a case by case basis, I don't have a lot of clean ups an such things here on the sandbar.

Good luck with the accepting credit cards. I should put this in your thread, but hell I'm here. Keep us updated on how the company you chose works for you. I know you linked it, but I prefer first hand experiences then random ones from the internet..you been here long enough, I think I can take your word on how they treat ya. Oh an good luck with the new model if you go for it!

Good luck with it all Mr.Sam.

Sirscrapalot - Always do what you are afraid to do. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

24. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks Sirscrapalot, I have decided to at least try to put the free pickup on the back burner. Usually for my advertising I have been putting my free service up on most of the ad and the trash removal service on the bottom of the ad. Instead of completely eliminating the free pickup I might just advertise the trash removal on most of the page and a small section on the bottom that says "complimentary free pickup for appliances, metal, e-waste, and clothing/shoes". It seems that just about all of the free p/u recyclables have gone down in price: steal, e-waste, clothing, cardboard. I usually charge $200 to fill and haul my 5'x14'x4' trailer with trash but, if I fill the same trailer with scrap appliances and other tin it is only about $80 and thats a lot of tin to pickup. Although I know steal prices are low here in california, $100/ton (tin).

Ill keep you updated on the results and the review on the CC processing.

26. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by mrsamsonite:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 600 Posts
    I don't charge schools or businesses. Individuals I charge $20.00 for crt's if that's all they got. I don't do single item pick ups much any more. Have not really paid for any scrap yet. However, I believe that's my next step in growing my biz. It's a difficult step for me cause I get such a kick out of free money.

28. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by junkfreak:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We charge for all pickups. Normally $25-$150 per pickup. But then we also pay for some materials also.

30. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by ResourcefulRecycling:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    I don't vharge a pickup fee. I charge for CRTs and TVs based on size, though.

Of course, my competition charges $.30/pound if you take it to them (And they charge more for pickups), so I have a little more pricing freedom than you may.

32. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by matador:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I use the Scrap Metal Removal Estimator tool to estimate how much the pickup will cost me in gas and time. I adjust it so that I would make about $15/hour of my time after gas expenses. Please note I do not include drive time as paid time. I then pay (up to $5 for an appliance) or charge the customer accordingly. It's really handy. Buying the scraproom membership is worth it just for that.

34. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by SteelMill:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Update:
    So, I have been advertising mainly trash removal and a small section of the ad is for "complimentary pickup for e-waste, metal, and appliances. Minimum quantities may apply" I have been getting a lot less call but, the calls that I get are usually pretty solid. With the old free ad I would get 4-15 calls per week and the new trash removal ad I get about 0-5 per week. So far this week I have gotten 0 calls. Last week I got about 3 and did all three jobs which were decent. I kind of miss the free pick up thing because it is mainly a great way to advertise in person to your customers. You pickup a couple items they see that you have the proper equipment, truck, trailer, good work ethic, show up on time, so, they decide to hire you for an additional trash removal job.

I am thinking about advertising the free pickup thing again but, being more picky about the pickups. Maybe require a pickup truck sized load minimum of recyclables. Also advertising more to schools, hospitals, business for the free pickup.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    In my area all the cities have a bulky item pickup on trash day for free and or landfill for residents no charge to dump. So it would be pointless to charge to pick something up that they can put out on trash day for free (that's where I usually get it when I curbco). With that being said I would charge someone a small fee if I was doing the cleaning out or having to dismantle something to get it out. Good Luck

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsamsonite View Post
    Im thinking about changing over to charging for all pickups. I currently pickup appliances, metal, ewaste, clothing/shoes for free and give quotes on trash removal. The free model has its benefits mainly that it gets your foot in the door, customers see you have the equipment/skills and do a good job so they call you again and hopefully pay you for a trash removal job. The drawback is that sometimes people get the wrong impression about your service and view it more as a charity. If you pick something up for free the customer feels that they are doing you a favor and dont value your labor, gas, time, etc.. Sometimes it is totally worth it to pick for free and other time it is not. Sometimes customers want a discount on trash removal because they are giving you recyclables.

I know if I start charging for everything I will loose many of one type of customer (the customers that are attracted to the free pickup) but, I might gain a new type of customer (a customer that wants to pay and get the job done professionally). I want to bump up my professional game by accepting credit card payments (just got setup today), revising my ads, upgrading uniform, insurance and build a website. My theory is that a lot of businesses and residential people that have money and want to spend on junk removal, dont go to the free pickup ads because perhaps they think the quality of the service isnt as good as the companies that charge. And its weird, when I charge people for additional services they seem to respect me more than if I just did it for free. Its weird you are respected and you get paid for the labor.

Has anyone gone from a partial free pricing model to a pricing model where you charge for everything? If so how did it work out for you?
    As an electrician I find that the more professional you look the more willing people are to pay for the service. Appearance is most important even in scrap.

38. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. I'm in charge
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM
    2. What would you charge to remove these ovens and this paint booth?
      By BurlyGuys in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
    3. Well did my pickups today / view of my shop. LOTS OF PICS. 56K not ok
      By drozenski in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 04-20-2012, 12:05 AM
    4. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Thread Information