Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Country Roads and Dry Creek Beds

| Scrap Metal Spots
    Bear started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts

Country Roads and Dry Creek Beds

Coming back from town today I decided to poke along through the country, on the old dirt route, remembering a rusty piece of an old tin horn stuck in a fence beside a dry creek. I stopped to pick it up. Just after taking off again, and crossing a place where the creek crossed under the road again, something caught my eye, so I backed up to see. It had been an old mattress someone threw in there, but beside it was this big screen TV.

Last edited by Bear; 08-21-2012 at 12:28 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

you need to copy/paste the full html under the picture
    there was a space in the verbage
    spaces not good in url address

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by oldtoothlessbassmaster:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well, i tried to just delete the whole post, but it wouldn't do that either. Thanks though OTB

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    well, i tried to just delete the whole post, but it wouldn't do that either. Thanks though OTB
    Are you wanting to get rid of it all??? let me know,,,
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks Mech, I tried to delete it earlier, but since OTB told me what was going on I went back and tried to fix it again, took the space out of the links but still don't see the photos on my post there

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Back to your original post, Bear. Is nice to find something like that but it sure is disgusting that some people just toss things where ever they please like you pictured.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking a place where I usually find some wild plums and some loser had thrown 2 big old computer screens. I did the right thing and cleaned them up.
    If it wasn't for the $ in $crap, it would just be.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RustyDollars for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For sure Rusty, no way I can lift that thing, not sure how hard it would be to get the circuit boards out of it, i think they're the most toxic. I usually just throw most of it into shred anyway, so it isn't worth anything monetarily, kinda wonder how hard it would be to get the boards out of it anyway. I can see from one of the photos it's an old RCA, but I've never messed with such a large one as that

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any idea what I can do with it?

There's no way I can lift it out of there, not sure how big the tube is, but the TV stands at least 4 foot tall.
    Looks like it's assembled totally with star bits too

Says RCA there, but I didn't get a size or model number, year or nothing
    Afraid to try and drag it out with a rope, probably bust the tube all over the place, not sure if I could even get it up into the truck. Any suggestions?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Any idea what I can do with it?

There's no way I can lift it out of there, not sure how big the tube is, but the TV stands at least 4 foot tall.
    Looks like it's assembled totally with star bits too

Says RCA there, but I didn't get a size or model number, year or nothing
    Afraid to try and drag it out with a rope, probably bust the tube all over the place, not sure if I could even get it up into the truck. Any suggestions?
    If your going to try and strip it, be careful as someone may think you are dumping it and turn you in, G L

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Cmon Bear those take about 5 minutes to open up and strip.......Take a screwdriver, hammer, wire cutters, and ratchet set..........Anyways have fun and unless it's private property you'll be fine

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Too bad I didn't get a shot of the label so I could look it up. Haven't found anything on it, only a few photos of similar ones that aren't any real help in finding a model to search for. Thinking I'm just gonna let it be, one good gully washer and it'll be gone to the ages.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No offense bear i lost a little respect for u on this one

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well, 5 minutes is being a bit optimistic (and with my luck the whole county would decide to take that route the very minute I began tearing it down ; ) Don't worry Mike, I haven't forgot about it, and if I get the chance to go back that way before a big rain, I'll certainly give it some more consideration. I'm figuring more like an hour at least, to fully remove the innards (whatever all that may be, including amps, large speakers, possibly a vcr, among other available options), but like I said, I didn't get a model number. All I have are the photos, and in zooming the higher res, it is a lot of star bit screws on there to undo, and I'd be using a hand driver (my batteries no longer charge on my cordless, ohwell), and I'll not consider bringing it here, due to having picked up a little baby walker and some other odds beside it, and wheeling them around to the scrap heap I could smell nothing but a huge roach spray stench coming from it. Being as I can hardly tear it down in a timely fashion there, and have no real information or experience with that type machine, yep, I think it best just let that one lay, at least for now
    Last edited by Bear; 08-21-2012 at 04:04 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well, 5 minutes is being a bit optimistic (and with my luck the whole county would decide to take that route the very minute I began tearing it down ; ) Don't worry Mike, I haven't forgot about it, and if I get the chance to go back that way before a big rain, I'll certainly give it some more consideration. I'm figuring more like an hour at least, to fully remove the innards (whatever all that may be, including amps, large speakers, possibly a vcr, among other available options), but like I said, I didn't get a model number. All I have are the photos, and in zooming the higher res, it is a lot of star bit screws on there to undo, and I'd be using a hand driver (my batteries no longer charge on my cordless, ohwell), and I'll not consider bringing it here, due to having picked up a little baby walker and some other odds beside it, and wheeling them around to the scrap heap I could smell nothing but a huge roach spray stench coming from it. Being as I can hardly tear it down in a timely fashion there, and have no real information or experience with that type machine, yep, I think it best just let that one lay, at least for now
    I hear ya bear......I used to have a company that would gve me these by the trailer load.........You still da man n my book (LOL)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    cool, I been hoping for someone with some actual experience on these to tell me about em. Like what's inside, how does it come apart, is the bottom unit separate or does the whole back cover come off at once? If I turned it onto its face to fully access the back, would I be covering up needed access on the front? Man, I've searched the internet most of today, mostly about this particular box, and have found Ziltch! Lots of ehow and fixya results, but I don't mess with those (I think they must be buying those slots anyway) but I did attempt another seldom messed with link to tomshardware with no info there. If I could successfully strip that thing without being there all day, at least the only thing left then would be a sealed tube and the shell. I'm not even sure Goodwill will want that, but might call them. Believe me man, I'd like to get it out of there, but first I need some info from somewhere about what I'm facing, and can i finish it, before I even start

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah that's what I was saying it wont take long........The top part is totally trash......All the goodies are in the base of the unit..........There is a steel plate with three copper yolks attatched to it.....Some low (mabye mid grade boards) and a lot of wiring........I would take a sledge with you as well ..........Work it from the back and you should be able to get it apart..........I use a sledge to knock the sides of it off.............There shouldn't be a large tube if I am seeing it right it's a projection tv which uses mirrors.....That whole top part is empty except for one large mirror which projects the image.........Being your first time it might take a minute but they are worth it.(To me at least)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was hoping to gut it and leave the shell basically intact, i guess that's the long road ?

yeah, I been thinking it had a giant tube in it
    Last edited by Bear; 08-21-2012 at 06:38 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You can but the easiest way is a sledge.......You can actually break it down into a nice little pile of wood....(LOL)..........We used to get them from a trash removal company and would just dump em in the back yard and start tearing them apart..........I say go for it!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    looks like it's all plastic to me ; )

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    the top is plastic.....the bottom is amost always wood

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Took in 600 LBs of futon beds broke down, did i mess up?
      By Scrappy Doo in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 30
      Last Post: 05-16-2021, 07:18 PM
    2. too hot and dry in the Midwest
      By taterjuice in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM
    3. Tanning beds
      By metaljacket in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM
    4. Hi and dry land for sale