State classes for hazardous waste

| Scrap Metal Safety and Hazards
    Hypoman started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts

State classes for hazardous waste

I am signing up for a free 5 week class offered by my state on keeping your business current on all EPA and state regulations for environmental management of hazardous waste, including e-waste. Make sure you are checking your state websites from time to time as they offer these classes and also offer other training resulting in a certification in certain areas, i.e. refrigerant removal. I 'll let you all know how it goes. It doesn't start till Sept 16. It's my goal to garner the respect(and often loyalty) that comes with running a compliant "green" business. I want to be listed as an e-waste and hazardous waste recycler on the state data base and I'll continue to learn what needs to be done for me to get there. When we get state recognition we can then get big government jobs and become a big player in this game. Anyone else have to have a surety bond? I need to get one for getting with the state but man the are expensive! Anyway, just some food for thought. Just thought you might like to know that a lot of states are pushing for growth of our types of industries and will offer programs to help you succeed.

“If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone.”
    John Maxwell
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Congratulations on having the initiative to take such a class. E waste is only getting worse and the federal government will eventually step in completely and regulate it just like everything else harming our environment.
    Surety bonds are no joke. And you're right they are expensive. The costs vary based on the size of job you're bidding. A good rule of thumb would be 2 percent of the total job and the liabilities of that job. That rate also is based on performance and credit history. Most times for City and State jobs you may also need a bid bond. These agencies want to know up front that they are dealing with legitimate companies that have good performance and financial backing in case you can't get the job done. Otherwise they could go through all the steps to award the bid to find out the winner of the bid cannot fulfill their obligation for whatever reason. Or worse case they award the contract to someone, that someone dumps all of their clients CRT tubes into the river. Your client is still liable for those CRT tubes even though you may have been in possession of them. Your client will be liable from cradle to grave, meaning until their material are ultimately destroyed or recycled. Anyone with the ability to attain a bid and surety/performance bond should have the same ability to maintain good liability insurance. And when dealing with the government, it's not always about just the cheapest, but the safest and least liable to get them in trouble.
    Sweat is the cologne of success!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrapcrazy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    Just another way for the government to control your busness and your money and your life. It's not so much about the invironment, we have the cleanest invironment in the world, yes we do need some control over invironmental pollution or we would end up like China, but this government has taken things so far that we can't even do busness in this country. That's why whole industries are shutting down. OK I'll shut up before I get in trouble.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happyscraper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Way to go happyscrapper, don't shutup say it louder. I think it's great that hypoman wants to advance his business and I wish him all the luck and success he can find, but don't be ashamed of yourself for merely pointing out the tyranny we all suffer.

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1776Patriotism:

Hypoman started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscraper View Post
    Just another way for the government to control your busness and your money and your life. It's not so much about the invironment, we have the cleanest invironment in the world, yes we do need some control over invironmental pollution or we would end up like China, but this government has taken things so far that we can't even do busness in this country. That's why whole industries are shutting down. OK I'll shut up before I get in trouble.
    While I agree that our government has screwed everyone over, especially SMALL business owners and the middle class(don't even get me started on keeping the poor..... poor!) I think that this program that Indiana has set up is a good one. The organization that runs these classes are made up of volunteers whose only concern is to help businesses like ours succeed. They will come to your business and help you prepare for EPA inspections, show you what current violations may be present, and since it's inception they have helped thousands of businesses avoid the harsh oversight of the EPA. These people do this on their own time, are not paid but are sponsored by the state government. They have never reported any violations to the EPA and in fact go out of their way to help fix any problems.
    This program, I believe, is actually one of the good ones happy!

We must guard against the overreaching hand of big government trying to take away our freedom. And we must always protect the environment in a manner consistent with our values.

Steve Forbes

10. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by Hypoman:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    On a plus side of these certs is the fact that they also regulate how we export any of the hazardous focus material to developing countries. So as to keep the untrained and un protected eleven year old from working fouteen hours a day in leaded waste that he is processing.
    Today is a gift and the first day of the rest of your life. What will you do with it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,175 Times in 941 Posts
    congratz on moving up in the industry! I just got my NH class 3 cert a week ago It was a couple days of training and tests some small fees but well worth the effort. I am now able to bid/buy material from landfills and other state organizations. This also comes with responsibility of keeping log books of material and money that DES will be looking at they have visited me once already but i have barley gotten started. i need to ask about making sure i am EPA ready not sure if my program has this option but i am going to look into it. Good luck and thank you.

this is a link i found mighty helpful during the process
    http://www.nerc.org/documents/index.html#ERBD
    Last edited by NHscrapman; 05-23-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: link
    There ain't nothing wrong with an honest days work. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.- Old Man

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Scrap Metal Classes?
      By Big Tex in forum Misc. Metal Recycling
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 11-15-2015, 09:46 AM
    2. hazardous and toxic materials
      By happyscraper in forum Scrap Metal Safety and Hazards
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
    3. E-waste laws by state
      By ScrapperNJ26 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2