machinistace802 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

where do we get are scrap(for the green horns)

I see alot of the new comers ask this. Now i'm new to the forum but id like to help out people new to scrapping!
    i get 80% of my metal from family, friends, co-workers...you gotta spread the work to everyone what your doing. i then get
    10% of my metal from ads,cl things like that. and the remaining metal i get from work. One time are metal dumpster was full at work, so the boss ask me to use my truck and take a load of dissembled rack's to the yard. we had some big guys coming and they wanted the yard cleaned up. i got like $90 from that trip, and the boss was happy!

i try to talk and let everyone know what im doing, but dont be annoying also, just mention it and dont be pushy. i tell alot of people about my hobby and a month might go by. but at some point they all well have something for me. a couple rotors here, a fridge there. its a slow process sometimes. but i now always have a stream of metal come my way now that i've networked.
    -ryan

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by machinistace802:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    its a slow process sometimes. but i now always have a stream of metal come my way now that i've networked.
    Never stop networking, you never know when the next "whale" might be lurking waiting for the proper place to recycle.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Mech and Mach..heh.. that's probably some of the best advice I've seen on here.

Sirscrapalot - Networking not just for computers anymore..har har har.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would safely say 90 percent of all my material comes from someone I met through my day job. I'm in the environmental business but we don't offer electronic waste disposal as an option. I saw it as an opportunity so I took it. I did need to get corporate approval and a legal letter stating that my business had no affiliation with my current employer and i would not do personal business during my regular work hours Once I had the letter in place I didn't hesitate to talk to people I've dealt with for years and had strong relationships already built. knowing people and networking is a key tool to success in almost any business especially if it's a business that requires volume.
    Sweat is the cologne of success!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Never stop networking, you never know when the next "whale" might be lurking waiting for the proper place to recycle.
    What I was referring to was anytime your out and about and have a chance to meet someone, introduce yourself, shake their hand and hand them a business card while giving a quick explanation of what your doing.

As an example, I was in a large pet store buying some animal food and happened to hear two of the employees talking something about computers. The employees looked to be college students so I just casually asked if they worked with computers, when they answered "yes" out came the business cards. The one employee exclaimed " I've got a bunch of old computers and didn't know what to do with them, I didn't want to have to pay to get rid of them".

9. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

10. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. green bars
      By freonjoe in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
    2. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
    3. Green Bay WI area, scrap price for semi rig?
      By moneyfrommetal in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
    4. Difference Between Red and Green?
      By scrapperincanada in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Thread Information