New places

| Scrap Metal Spots
    meh started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Lightbulb New places

So normally we as scrappers take stuff that cant be scrapped to goodwill and stores like it to be recycled properly..when I was there today I asked the person in charge on a whim if they had any broken electronics..I now have a truck load..and more to come at the end of the week..also since im an electronics student I like to poke around to see why they don't work before scrapping..I was able to fix a nice vintage record player..runs like a top..i returned it to the goodwill that I got it from and told them it worked..I will now be getting all of their broken electronics..just food for thought.

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by meh:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    cool! I find things that work, even that could be sold as scrap. Had a little stair stepper exercise thing out there for a month, 20 pounds or so (X .06 = $1.20), advertised it on Freecycle once, only one reply and no takers. Today decided to renew my ad there for things to recycle (computers, appliances etc) and renewed the stair stepper too, was getting several replies on the stair stepper, kinda connected with one and they said "great! I've also got several computers i was about to throw away" ; )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

meh

meh started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yeah man apparently its all about the networking..so far this week I have the truck load from the goodwill..as well as other thrift stores..make a small donation and they love you..I also worked out some deals with other local businesses and I have enough electronics to build a wall around my house..not to mention cell phones..im trying my hand at recovering the precious metals from them..the last load of phones took me and a friend 30 beers and 4 hours to disassemble..and after making the rounds this week I have an equal sized pile of old cell phones..this whole scrapping thing is awesome..im debating on stopping at an associates degree and maybe getting into recycling as a living..i never realized how much of a throw away society we live in..or that a living could be made from what would normally just end up in a landfill..free money minus the little bit of sweat involved.
    Last edited by meh; 08-07-2012 at 08:17 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to meh for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    Meh, some buyers on this forum will pay you 6.00 or more per lb. for cell phones. Bull the batteries out and send them in to. Saves time to work on other things. Just my .02

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happyscraper for This Post:

meh

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    ..i never realized how much of a throw away society we live in..or that a living could be made from what would normally just end up in a landfill..free money minus the little bit of sweat involved.
    That's absolutely right man, a society throwing away society itself. It'll be too bad though, when we need metals, and realize we already sent all that to china, europe, and turkey, for little of nothin, and that all we have left to defend ourselves with is the plastics they been sending us to play video games on

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

meh

meh started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    haha its true..we have painted ourselves into a corner..you seem like a smart gent..as a whole we need to wake up..but if you look at the average teenager these days..all you can do is sigh..most people won't even read anymore unless forced to..I read atleast an hour a day..quadruple that when school is in session..knowledge is the only thing that cant be taken away no matter what happens..I like your quote/signature by the way..Ben Franklin was an amazing person..I just recently got done reading his autobiography..you should check it out..he more or less wrote it as a letter to his son that was on the opposite side of the revolutionary war..it can get a bit dry but you can really start to see him as person instead of a portrait on my favorite denomination of money

12. The Following User Says Thank You to meh for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sounds good Meh, I got that quote the same day a guy was talking about scrapping some historic iron fencing he'd found out in his woods, for the price of some beer (the beer won)

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Best places and unexpected and unlikely places.
      By skoalbandit in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM
    2. Try these places for scrap
      By Gnraxlrose88 in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM
    3. Fresh Ideas on Where to Find Scrap Metal
      By metalfab in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 64
      Last Post: 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Thread Information