Wheelcovers

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    charn started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Wheelcovers

I've seen lots of them, but most appear to be all plastic. Some are mostly plastic with aluminum plates. If I find a sweet spot, I can knock the plastic off with one hammer hit. The disadvantage of using a hammer is denting what could be useful. I don't know what use yet, but the lugnut holes suggest possibilities.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    If you find older ones they are ss and worth more than scrap to those who restore classic cars. I have ss hupcaps on my 1980 ford ranger f-100 pickup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happyscraper for This Post:

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It helps to identify old caps.if you have the Hollanders catalogs on wheel covers, owning them paid off in spades for me.

Every so often I would purchase a couple of gaylords of caps from the scrap yard to compliment the ones I was saving then sell then on fleabay. The yard would let me pick and choose.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavus for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    I've got about 30+ old hubcaps recently from a clean-up job, wasn't sure which way to go with them. Thought about listing them on craigslist in one lump

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I've got about 30+ old hubcaps recently from a clean-up job, wasn't sure which way to go with them. Thought about listing them on craigslist in one lump
    Unidentified caps are worthless, next to Hollanders Hubcaps, Hubcap, new and used Hub Caps at Hubcaps.com

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by gustavus:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That's possibly why I was thinking move the whole lot, simply because I don't know what they all go to, and someone who deals in them would stand to profit by it too. I was basically thinking they could probably sell one set as vintage for the price I would be asking for the whole lot

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I just called them and they said send photos, I'm thinking it won't help me to identify them, there's really nothing on their site that deals with reverse look-up for identification of any sort, simply asks for make and model of vehicle, in other words, you'd have to look through every brand and year for each one

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I deal heavily in old car parts and for the most part old hubcaps aren't worth a whole lot- especially if they have even a small ding, curb rash, etc. There are exceptions to the rule, however such as 1955-56 Mercury 4 bar spinners, 50s Oldsmobile spinner hubcaps, late 40s Cadillac 'sombrero' wheelcovers, etc etc.

If nothing else post a photo and we could likely identify what type wheelcovers you have.

Last month I hauled 950 lbs of stainless wheel covers to the yard that I couldn't sell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalfan for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    cool! Metalfan I've been cleaning out some sheds that the guy was a mechanic, worked on cars all the time, even at home, he died several years ago at the very young age of 91. I'm realizing that the 50 or so hubcaps I've looked at aren't worth much, but it's like the "one innocent person" syndrome, I'd rather not toss a good one ; ), and I've no doubt there are some good ones in there, just daunting to post 50 photos(and expect anyone to want to sort through them as well) I know most of these piles were parts that got replaced due to malfunctions, but I'm also knowing that some were most likely saved due to a "better save this, it's still good(or can be fixed)" syndrome. Got a cool lil round Studebaker emblem, some old mirrors I know came off classic cars, even a couple of complete gauge clusters that are still too dusty to recognize, along with a big block 4 barrel intake, and a couple old standard trannys. Still got a whole 6 cyl engine to get out of there(i'm thinking it may be a 300 6, the fella liked fords)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Bear-

If ya run across any Y-block Ford stuff let me know. Always looking for manifolds and the like!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    what's a Y block?

Thread Information